Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology 10050 (Animal Diversity and Evolution)

Options
  • 11-09-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭

Hi :confused:

I bailed on Physics yesterday and took up the Pharmacology stream, so I have the three Biology modules. I did however miss the first two lectures. I read through the lecture slides etc, but am still very confused, so I few a few questions:
    1. What's this Zoo Assignment :S
    2. Am I right in assuming we have to buy the Campells Biology book (To use that online thing)
    3. Urgh I've forgotten the other ones.....(they'll come back to me)

If anyone could enlighten me that would be lovely :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Fad wrote: »

I bailed on Physics yesterday and took up the Pharmacology stream, so I have the three Biology modules. I did however miss the first two lectures. I read through the lecture slides etc, but am still very confused, so I few a few questions:
    2. Am I right in assuming we have to buy the Campells Biology book (To use that online thing)

Friend of mine did that course, AFAIK you go to the zoo, fill out a questionnaire thing and write up a bit of a report. Ask your lecturer for more details. Or maybe someone whose done it here might be of more help...

Don't bother buying the book, its expensive - just borrow it from the library. If you are going to be doing more biology it might be worth buying... Go to the SU book shop or alternatively I've got a good as new copy that's im looking to get rid of, going into final year and dont need it any more! But tbh I wouldn't reccommend buying it anyway.

Post when you think of the rest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 clickclick

I did this module last year and you do really need to buy the book for the codes for the online assessment, it counts for a fair bit of the final grade (20%?) and its easy marks. If you do the genetics module next semester youll also need it for that so its a must.
    If im remembering right the lecturer had a few codes last year to give out to people who couldn't purchase the book so you could as about that.

The zoo assignment is a list of questions relating to animals in Dublin zoo, you get a free pass to the zoo but tbh most of mine and my friends info was got via google and the text book, but we still enjoyed the free trip to the zoo!!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

clickclick wrote: »
    I did this module last year and you do really need to buy the book for the codes for the online assessment, it counts for a fair bit of the final grade (20%?) and its easy marks. If you do the genetics module next semester youll also need it for that so its a must.
    If im remembering right the lecturer had a few codes last year to give out to people who couldn't purchase the book so you could as about that.

The zoo assignment is a list of questions relating to animals in Dublin zoo, you get a free pass to the zoo but tbh most of mine and my friends info was got via google and the text book, but we still enjoyed the free trip to the zoo!!

Good luck!

Oops, wrong about the book so :o

You have a more knowledgable person to ask now so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

AFAIK you can buy the codes online without the need to get the book

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

If you're in any financial difficulty with regards to the book, Tom Hayden should have some spare access codes. Best to email or ask after a lecture.

The zoo assignment is piece of piss, you get an assignment booklet and a free ticket to the zoo and, whenever's convenient for you, head along to the zoo and fill it in. Good bit of craic if you do it with a few mates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 L.i.t.h.i.u.m

Also last year, we had an essay on trout to do, I'm not sure if they will do it this year too, dont worry, the lecturers will keep saying it over over and over again all the information and both Crowe and Hayden are very approachable, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Also last year, we had an essay on trout to do, I'm not sure if they will do it this year too, dont worry, the lecturers will keep saying it over over and over again all the information and both Crowe and Hayden are very approachable, good luck!

I think we have to do that too, what does it involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

I'm actually doing that module this year too! Virtual high five!

There's nothing new I can add except one thing about the Bio codes for the online assessment...they contacted the publishers to ask whether they would sell codes, without the book, to facilitate students who had bought a previous edition and they are still awaiting a concrete reply. He also said we wouldn't be allowed into labs without our lab coats, just a heads up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I bailed on Physics yesterday

:mad:Traitor!:mad:

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    :mad:Traitor!:mad:

That lab was just a taste of the fun things to come :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

That lab was just a taste of the fun things to come :)

What with the uncertainty yoke? I've sadly learned the formula off by heart - (delta)f/f = (delta)x/x + (delta)y/y, then using the scuared root of a(scuared) + b(scuared), (delta)f/f = (delta)x(scuared)/x(scuared) + (delta)y(scuared)/y(scuared). How sad is that?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    What with the uncertainty yoke? I've sadly learned the formula off by heart - (delta)f/f = (delta)x/x + (delta)y/y, then using the scuared root of a(scuared) + b(scuared), (delta)f/f = (delta)x(scuared)/x(scuared) + (delta)y(scuared)/y(scuared). How sad is that?:)

That's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SoaringPanda

I need to get an extra 5 credits this year and am looking for an interesting elective thats not going to be to taxing, would you guys reccommend this module ? how much is the book btw ?

I need to get an extra 5 credits this year and am looking for an interesting elective thats not going to be to taxing, would you guys reccommend this module ? how much is the book btw ?

There seems to be a fair amount of work tbh.

€54.50 from the campus bookshop (Cheaper than some places in town.)

Advertisement