Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Ahern vs Chen Shui-bian

Options
  • 11-09-2009 9:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

On the 6th of May 2008 Bertie Ahern stepped down as Taoiseach .2 weeks later On the 20th of May 2008 Chen Shui-bian stepped down as President of Taiwan .

On the 12th of December 2008 , Chen together with much his family , were indicted for Corruption Forgery and Money Laundering during his presidency after an investigation that only started in August .

On the 10th of September 2009 , Chen was sentenced to life in jail , his wife has already been sentenced to life and was long ago found guilty of perjury .... and many of the family have pleaded guilty to misc.dodgyness and await sentencing or have been sentenced to 6 month along with mammy on the perjury issue .

Why can't we be more like Taiwan ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I honestly thought this was a post about a new Street Fighter IV addon for the PC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

Bertie Ahern should be strung up, he has ruined this country. Plain and simple. Anyone who even thinks of buying his new book should have their head examined!

The problem as I see it is Irish people are too lazy, and are too well off. We're all great to give out about the politicians, developers, bankers and higher level civil servants but none of us could be bothered to do anything about it.

I would love to start a revolution, otherthrow the government and try sort out the mess the country is in, but I'm just too busy at the moment:)

If I was on the dole with three kids and facing eviction I might have a bit more motivation, some of the banks are tripping over each other to give a few quid more to liam carroll and the likes while they file for repossession against the ordinary joe nobody at the same time. And all the while brain cowen stand around and tells us to just trust him he'll sort it out, just have another pint....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Why should Bertie be dealt with more harshly than CJH? Wasn't Bertie Charlie's protege? Sure they were only following the party line.

As my late Granny said if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bertie Ahern should be strung up, he has ruined this country. Plain and simple. Anyone who even thinks of buying his new book should have their head examined!

Did he write this book while in his new €200,000 office ? Or has he even been in it ?

That said, it's amazing that someone with that crap a memory (at least when visiting tribunals and explaining bank transactions higher than your average annual salary) can even write a memoir!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭amacca

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I honestly thought this was a post about a new Street Fighter IV addon for the PC :(

3....2....1 FIGHT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

amacca wrote: »
    3....2....1 FIGHT!

Down, Down, Forward, Forward, Fast Punch, Health Service Uppercut....

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why can't we be more like Taiwan ?????

Well, I don't want to state the extremely obvious, but for starters the Taiwan leader was found guilty of laundering €15 million. I'm not sure Bertie Ahern has been found guilty of corruption, or that the allegations against him are on that scale. Is there something that other posters know that I don't. Or do you think all wrongs by all politicians in all countries are the exact same? It's a tad simple, don't you think?

This whole 'hang him, flog him, kill him' stuff is just all a bit silly really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

This whole 'hang him, flog him, kill him' stuff is just all a bit silly really.

As is the "he's not as bad as elsewhere" stuff.

The FACT is that he had 5 different stories about where the money came from; if that were €50 or €100, fair enough (it could happen anyone) but it was A YEAR'S SALARY.....NO-ONE could "forget" that, and especially not a "minister for finance".

And leaving aside the obvious - that if there was nothing dodgy about it, then he'd want to clear it up to everyone's satisfaction, instead of dragging it out - the FACT is that he SELF-ADMITTED that "he gave people jobs because they were his friends"; i.e. NEPOTISM, which is corruption in itself.

I'm not gonna repeat it here, but in my personal opinion the "Gift Grub" Bosco had the right idea about "Bertie". :mad:

Advertisement