Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI maps on Garmin. Eire Discoverer announced

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 snempaa

I also bought the maps today but I'm not that impressed. The maps are images so they load quite slow on my dakota 20. Routing is not that good, i tried to route from or to my last holiday destinations and I was not able to find the villages. On the discovery maps (images) they were visible of course, but not routable.
    Luckily the target of my trips isn't driving a car around Ireland but walking, cycling and geocaching, so for these purposes the maps are fine.... but way overpriced... (the 200e i mean, 640 is just too crazy... i guess they didn't have any customers!)

I must say I didn't test them too good, no calibration tests and so on, since I'm not living in Ireland, but I (used to and hopefully will) visit your country a lot so I will be able to tell you more later on.

If you want me to test other aspects of the map, let me know what you want me to review!

ps. For testing purposes I tried to extract the maps from the download-temp folder to MapSource which worked. Don't have any other garmin device to test the maps on (and hey, that's illegal!) but I think it'll work. (Don't ask, cause I won't)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

Snempaa: can you make a screenshot of the area around N 54° 00.240 W 009° 37.232 , please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 snempaa

Of course, here you are... I have a dakota so the resolution isn't that good.. but the compression you see in the images is in the device as well since I saved the image as a lossless png and the screenshots from the device are in bmp format.
    discovery.png

update: ps. please share your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

Thank you very much, Snempaa. For now it looks like OSI maps from 2000. If it's not too much trouble for you, may I ask for additional screenshots of N 53° 59.180 W 9° 32.997?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Looks like garmin have launched "Birdseye Select" which include Ireland

You can now download up to 600 sq. km of 1:50k Eire Discoverer raster tiles for E20.

These are slightly different than Eire Discoverer as they are raster tiles only.
    (Eire Discover also has road vector and POI data)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=86340

Unsurprisingly, the Eire maps have the least value for money:

BirdsEye™ Select EIRE 600 sq km 1:50K
    BirdsEye™ Select Great Britain 600 sq km 1:25K
    BirdsEye™ Select Kompass - Switzerland 2,400 sq km 1:50K
    BirdsEye™ Select France 600 sq km 1:25K
    BirdsEye™ Select Deutschland 2,400 sq km 1:25K
    BirdsEye™ Select Kompass - Austria + East Alps 2,400 sq km 1:50K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Looks like garmin have launched "Birdseye Select" which include Ireland

You can now download up to 600 sq. km of 1:50k Eire Discoverer raster tiles for E20.

These are slightly different than Eire Discoverer as they are raster tiles only.
    (Eire Discover also has road vector and POI data)
    Looks interesting, raster imagery is all I need for outdoor use anyway, but the pricing is way too high in comparison to the equivalent area for PC based mapping programs. I now mostly use Mapyx Quo on the PC and I can get a single tile (20x20 km or 400 sq km) for approx €2.50, or a 20 tile voucher for just over €45.

By the way if anyone is tempted by Garmin's Birdseye satellite imagery, check first to see what the coverage is like. Half of Wicklow is covered by thick cloud cover .. a joke really.

Alun wrote: »
    Looks interesting, raster imagery is all I need for outdoor use anyway, but the pricing is way too high in comparison to the equivalent area for PC based mapping programs. I now mostly use Mapyx Quo on the PC and I can get a single tile (20x20 km or 400 sq km) for approx €2.50, or a 20 tile voucher for just over €45.

Can you load the tiles onto your gps or view on pc only?

Can you load the tiles onto your gps or view on pc only?
    Only on the PC unfortunately, although Mapyx have teamed up with Lowrance to supply a new series of mapping GPS's to the European market that allow you to use any Quo mapping you have both on the PC and on the GPS. I've no idea what they're like to use, but they look a bit clunky compared to my Oregon.

http://www.mapyx.com/index.asp?tn=media&c=151

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Having spent days pondering over the subject and reading any reviews available finally bought my copy of Discoverer Eire (Even upgraded to an Oregon SATNAV for the pleasure). Must say Im delighted with the maps.. still dont agree with the high price however surely 10000 people buying at say 100euro is better than 100 buying at 200euro?... dont make any sense to me! Good maps however.. although a little slow if intended to use as a satnav for the car.. the maps take longer to load and as such are suited to walking/cyclin and not hurtling along at 120km/hr.

These maps are ocked and can only be used for one device (although you can move SD card from device to device... just no copying for ahem.. backups)

Always said it would be great to get OS maps on a GPS and well.. now its here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

lads i just bought a garmin hcx legent with extra card.
    ok hers comes the weird part i would have no idea how to go about putting maps on this thing:o i will be using it hopefully for cycle touring trips here in Ireland and maybe england. so lads how can i put maps on this thing and do i have to pay for every map i use.thanks a wannab geek/ sorry.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Just found this!

Adding maps is easier than ever with Legend HCx's microSD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded microSD cards with MapSource® data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Legend HCx provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

If you have the lead to fit your GPS you can add maps using Mapsource which I think also comes with that GPS... on a CD.

You can download free Irish maps from:

http://emerald-island.eu/wikka/GpsMap

and add them using Mapsource. I have them on my ETREX and they work perfect. Just follow the instructions on the page above to download to GPS.

The SD card slot allows you to purchase maps from Garmin and just put the SD card into the GPS (behind the batteries). I would try the above first though.

thanks for that i think i will have to find someone who understands that :D
    thanks anyway.

can i but a simcard for the garmin legend hcx in Ireland .i was buying one 2gb on amozon cost 3.50 postage 12quid:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

thanks for that i think i will have to find someone who understands that :D
    thanks anyway.

If you go to http://talkytoaster.info/ you will find an easy way to put maps on the sd card.

Yes, the ready made Garmin OSM maps on TalkyToaster, some versions of which are combined with the contour information from the EmeraldIsland / SMC maps, are probably as good as you're going to get for the etrex series which are limited to vector mapping only.

If you want raster mapping such as the OSi Eire Discoverer maps, you'l need one of the newer units such as the Colorado, Oregon, Dakota, Montana, 62s or one of the newly introduced etrex's (20 or 30 only, not the 10).

thanks micawber , god this is all complicated stuff .
    so would this be cheating , would anyone be interested in putting a map of Ireland onto a blank sd card for me i would gladly pay them :o basically all i want this unit for is to get me back on track when im lost.
    like follow that arrow sorry for being such a fool but these things are way out of my league but fantastic none the less.
    thanks again .

1) Download this file http://talkytoaster.info/110826-IE+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.zip
    2) Unzip
    3) Place on your SD card in a folder called Garmin
    4) Rename 10826-IE+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPSUPP.IMG

1) Download this file http://talkytoaster.info/110826-IE+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.zip
    2) Unzip
    3) Place on your SD card in a folder called Garmin
    4) Rename 10826-IE+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPSUPP.IMG
    thanks for that i'm still waiting for delivery from amazon will let you know if i make a total balls of it or not. thanks again.;)

thanks for all the help much appreciated.
    ok another silly question ,

i have the open street map downloaded onto the micro sd card but how can i plot a route on it ,
    thanks again sorry for being not up to date on all things gps .

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

thanks for all the help much appreciated.
    ok another silly question actually two,
    is it possible to get a magnetic strip of some kind to enlarge the screen on the garmin etrec. my eye sight is not as it was.
    also i have the open street map downloaded onto the micro sd card but how can i plot a route on it ,
    thanks again sorry for being not up to date on all things gps .

If I want to plot a route on using my garmin I usually look to download a route someone else has done before me. These are uploaded to the web as gpx files.
    So for an easy example if you google luggala gpx you should find links to walks involving luggala that you can download to your computer. Then just connect unit to computer by usb and upload your trails.
    There are many sites which have gpx files to download.
    Can't help with the eyesight

• Advertisement

thanks for that it will take some getting used too.;)

Advertisement