Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on how to choose a wedding photographer?

• 11-09-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Firstly, I've searched the forum, the monster wedding photographer costs thread etc. but I haven't found what I'm looking for. Apologies in advance if this has been answered already.

I'm looking to get a photographer for my wedding next February, but I'm a bit dazed by the choice on offer. Can anyone advise on what I should look for in a 'good' wedding photographer, other than obviously liking the style of their previous work? I'm NOT looking for a specific photographer recommendation, just what to look out for when picking one.

I've posted here rather than in the Weddings forum as I want to get photographic opinions rather than those of, eh, 'excited' brides to be... Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Firstly you have to like the style of their work & the quality of their product. I would try to avoid things which are gimmicks as they will probably look naff in a few years time. An example of this are things like the horrible skin tones that places like Venture have for their portraits. If you know someone who is into Photography then get them to assist you at this stage.

You also have to work out if they can work within your budget. It's no use loving the work someone does & then asking them to do the job at half their normal charge.

After that you really do need to get along well with them on a personal level. You need to feel confident that they will work in with your plans & have the experience to do what is required in a way that will allow everyone to enjoy the day.

Make sure they are covered by Insurances, including Professional Indemnity. You also need to work out issues in the contract about the rights to the images & what provisions they have as back up in case of an emergency.

This is from someone not into Wedding Photography & never having had to choose one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Meet up with them. Make sure you and your other half get on with them. Make sure you like their personallity and you don't clash.

Ask to see at least one full, recent wedding, not just the highlights. Make sure you check out the group photographs. Even if they're not important to you, they will be to your family.

Get them to list out exactly how long they'll be there for and what they'll be doing. Give them a list of the photographs you want to make things easier for both sides.

Don't look for the cliche'd wedding photographs that will be naff in a few years time (Selective colouring, etc), go for those that look timeless. You're looking for the type of photography you've seen in glossy wedding magazines, not the dodgy type in a grubby album.

Enquire about CD, prints, etc.

Bring along a list of your questions, it'll make life easier for both parties.

If you don't click (begging the pun), don't book - regardless of price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Most important - find a wedding photographer who you like, as a person. You need to get along. You need to have similar views of the wedding. You need to know the photographer can get along with the bride and groom, with the mother of the bride, and can work with the best man to get everything arranged.

Yes, you clearly need to like their work, and how they present the photos. It's important to like their style and taste in photography.

Otherwise, of course, make sure they have insurance, a written contract, backup, etc.

Best of luck. I've been through the picking a wedding photographer recently, so know what you're going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Getting along is very important, probably the most important to be honest, you dont want someone who will irritate you. I am recently married also and booked the main local photographer for my wedding. I never met him and after a phone conversation with him I cancelled him, even though I lost a large deposit he was definintely not what I was looking for.

I went on to book a photographer who had photographed my husband in his bands quite well who then went into hospital just the night before my wedding, then I got a local ametuer photog at the last minute as there was nobody else availble that didnt want way over the mark for a last minute booking, turns out he kept me smiling throughout the day, with a diverse family my mood was all over the place and he was so chirpy and happy that I realised this is how I have to be and how any wedding photographer should be, regardless of the result he made a huge difference to my day. Turned out hte result wasnt bad either, especially considering he was only starting out too. I will never regret cancelling the first guy though even though his images were great the attitude was all wrong, you have to remember that you spend a good chunk of your day with your photographer so it is important you get along.

You must also be able to see a full wedding, I dont like this idea where a photographer will only show you selected images, 3 or 4 good images from a wedding is not hard to do but 100 or more good images is what you would need to be looking for, these should include preperations, church, guests, formal, natural and family shots. You will most likely not see these through a website but upon meeting a photographer. You need to remember you will have at least 30 images in your album so be sure that you could select at least 30 from a selected wedding that you would be happy with.

As much as we say budget shouldnt come into it, it is a very important factor so if a photographer says they will meet with you and go over prices insist on hearing the prices first. I met with one, who came out to my house and my jaw nearly hit the floor when he said he wanted 2400 or something like that, this puts yu in an awful position so be clear that you want to know the price to avoid disap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would agree with a lot of whats said above, if you get on with your photographer then the day goes really well and its reflected in the shots taken. I recently went to the Wedding fair in the RDS and the difference in price was huge between all the different packages ranging from the cheapest at approx €1500 to €10,000. From looking at the different shots you could instantly (from my point of view) pick out who knew what they were doing and who didnt. Price can be a deciding factor but it shouldnt rule the whole decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement