Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse collection average cost

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi

Just a quick query. I'm looking at renting an apartment in a small complex which is (I think) in the city council area (it may be Dun Laoighre Rathdown, but I think it's the city).

As well as the rent, they are looking for €250 per year for refuse collection charges. Is this about the right amount?

It's a complex of about 16-20 apartments, with communal bins. I've had a look on the websites of various refuse collection companies, but can only find prices for individual houses rather than complexes.

I realise that this 'refuse collection' charge may well be a management services charge which includes bins, and I will suss that out. In the mean time, just wondering does it sound about right?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

generally this kind of thing is covered in the management cost.

Given it costs me €8 or €8.50 every time I put the bin out (cant remember which) It seems a reasonable amount to charge for waste collection.

That said, the LL would have to pay that even if the apartment was empty(assuming its rolled up into the management charge) so why should you pay it for him ? Id suggest telling him your not willing to pay this unless he can prove that waste costs are seperate to the management fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Looking at it another way, refuse is a cost we all pay anyway and you can get (some) tax relief on it.

I don't understand why landlords charge refuse separately, why not bump the rent up by €20 a month and advertise refuse as included?

Advertisement