Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU commission offices raided few years back

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I think I'm going to vote yes,the no sides arguments appear less factual.However,I found this article about how the commissions offices were raided for corruption a few years ago and how they all resigned http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article1575571.ece ,what's the story with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

In 1999 the Parliament effectively forced the commission to resign after there were questions raised about the commission budget, as far as I know.

The system works :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santer_Commission#Resignation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There is a uk parliament report on the affair here.

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/rp99/rp99-032.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

baaaa wrote: »
    I think I'm going to vote yes,the no sides arguments appear less factual.

baaaa, If you were to read the treaty you could then express your own opinion. There would be no need to worry about whose arguments are less factual.

I think everyone should try to make their own mind up instead of just agreeing with someone else's interpretation of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

callig wrote: »
    baaaa, If you were to read the treaty you could then express your own opinion. There would be no need to worry about whose arguments are less factual.

I think everyone should try to make their own mind up instead of just agreeing with someone else's interpretation of the facts.

I did read the treaty,it means feck all 2 me tho as I don't have much context to put it in,I mean I'd have to witness the commission/parliment etc in action firsthand to really know what's goin on.I think you'd also need to be very knowledgeable on politics and history, and I'm not.
    I found I learnt a lot more watching the arguments go back and forth on forums.
    I was more disagreeing with the no sides arguments than agreeing with the yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

baaaa wrote: »
    I found I learnt a lot more watching the arguments go back and forth on forums.
    I was more disagreeing with the no sides arguments than agreeing with the yes.

That a good point. A lot of the things in this treaty are not that exciting so it can be hard to sell it compared to the No sides dramatic claims(lies). The great thing is it fairly easy to find out the No sides claims are not true. So like most Irish people I know the EU has been good for us and the No side need to lie to explain why it's bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement