Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2010 All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps. **Mod note post 1927**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Thunder10 wrote: »
    Would be shocked if ya didn't and at a very decent price as well.

What kinda price, dya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Jordonvito wrote: »
    I know its a bit early, but who are ye all hoping for next year.? Hopefully Artic Monkeys, Muse, and then someone like Daft Punk or Fatboy slim, cant be Killers or KOL again!

well Daft Punk and The Killers are more or Less goneski so i dunno...and you have two of them this year so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

frayner250 wrote: »
    Just to clarify?? Ur allowed bring drink in if u are camping right???

ur just NOT allowed bring it in if u hav a day pass????

yes sir ey bob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Anyone feel like pointing out to me exactly where the shuttle will be collecting people in Naas? I've heard the post office, goffs, Kavanagh's pub etc.

A pointer on google maps would be much appreciated :D

Look for the huge queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

yes allowed bring drink if camping to the campsite.

NO ONE, camping or daytrippers are allowed bring drink into the arena, they stop everyone and tell them to finish up or dump them in giant bins. plenty of people try to sneak drink in, some successful, some not.like i said if your stopped and caught just drink up and head on in then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

anyone able to tell us how far of a walk it is from where u get off dublin bus to the red campsite? is the centra there any good? cheers in advance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The camp-site's and the arena are separate.

You are allowed bring drink into the camp-sites, you are not allowed bring drink into the arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Thunder10

PomBear wrote: »
    What kinda price, dya think?

Got one for €160 in 2008...Most people selling them there are actually going and just looking for a quick sale of an extra ticket for money to cover their weekend expenses

dicey1664 wrote: »
    anyone able to tell us how far of a walk it is from where u get off dublin bus to the red campsite? is the centra there any good? cheers in advance

Not awfully long in terms of distance but feels it when you're carrying a tonne of stuff!

Centras are good enough for the essentials and actualy a good enough variety as well but extortionate comapred to usually prices. I'd reccomend a trip to naas on the free shuttle bus if you're planning to get a few things/have the time to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Can't decide who to see tomorrow at all. Arcade Fire are really boring and even though they have a good following in Ireland I don't think they should be headlining this festival, Kasabian would be a bigger band then AF imo. I like a few of Fatboy Slims songs but he seems to just play ravey kinda music which I hate, and I really don't like David Guetta. (I do actually like a lot of acts playing just to say, I'm not just moaning for the sake of it.) Are Knights of Leon playing the Tribute Stage at that time or is there anything else on? Please help. :confused:

• Advertisement

Can't decide who to see tomorrow at all. Arcade Fire are really boring and even though they have a good following in Ireland I don't think they should be headlining this festival, Kasabian would be a bigger band then AF imo. I like a few of Fatboy Slims songs but he seems to just play ravey kinda music which I hate, and I really don't like David Guetta. (I do actually like a lot of acts playing just to say, I'm not just moaning for the sake of it.) Are Knights of Leon playing the Tribute Stage at that time or is there anything else on? Please help. :confused:

Personally going to see Guetta. Really like Arcade Fire but can't see that transferring over to a live setting, especially at Oxegen..Jut don't think they're strong enough for it live, as in the atmosphere in the crowd will be diabloical.

Guetta will just be a laugh, which is what I'm looking for. He can be fairly cheesy but his live show wil get the crowd going far more than AF ever would.

Agree with ya about Kasabian headlining over AF by the way. I'd have actually had The Prodigy kicking off proceedings by headlining the Friday night mainstage. Would have been epic!:rolleyes:

Thunder10 wrote: »
    Personally going to see Guetta. Really like Arcade Fire but can't see that transferring over to a live setting, especially at Oxegen..Jut don't think they're strong enough for it live, as in the atmosphere in the crowd will be diabloical.

Guetta will just be a laugh, which is what I'm looking for. He can be fairly cheesy but his live show wil get the crowd going far more than AF ever would.

Agree with ya about Kasabian headlining over AF by the way. I'd have actually had The Prodigy kicking off proceedings by headlining the Friday night mainstage. Would have been epic!:rolleyes:

Totally agree, The Prodigy would be a great way to get things going. I may have been a little harsh on AF there, I do actually like a couple of their songs, but any songs I like they don't seem to play, and I would definitely agree with ye about the transferring of their songs to a live audience, particularly a large audience. They'd be better playing smaller more intimate venues. Guetta may be a possibility, if you're right in saying its just gonna be a good laugh then that sounds like what I'm looking for. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm honestly not trying to be fangirl about this, but I can only wonder if you guys have any idea of what Arcade Fire are like live. That's what they're made for, forget about the records. On record is one thing -

1439694608_7a40eeaea6.jpg

-live is quite another, and I think it's pretty funny, if not bizarre, to suggest that Kasabian of all people should rank over them on the poster. Jay Z, maybe, but Kasabian? Really?

As for translating to live:

I'm not trying to be a twat, but if you guys miss out on a chance to take part in something like that in Punchestown, I don't know what you were ever going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 alanna22

I'm goin 4day campin and have been hearing so many stories bout robbing, setting tents on fire, slashing tents etc that I'm freakin out bout it now, can anyone please reassure me about it so I can get some sleep? please :)

It'll be fine. Most of the ropey stuff you've heard about happened in the dark old days of 2007, and have been Chinese-whispered into something that happens every year to everyone. Keep your wits about you, look out for your friends and have them look out for you. You'll be grand, and you'll have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 alanna22

ok good to hear thanks a mil, am a bit of a worrier! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

alanna22 wrote: »
    I'm goin 4day campin and have been hearing so many stories bout robbing, setting tents on fire, slashing tents etc that I'm freakin out bout it now, can anyone please reassure me about it so I can get some sleep? please :)

Sleep never happens for me. I tend to pass out and wake up after an hour or so. Slashing tents and all that craic generally depends on who's the crowd around you. The best thing to do is pitch your tent around people you know.

We had an area of 11 tents in a area that we generally kept to ourselves. But even if your only going with a couple of people the main thing is to keep guard about who's around you.

There can be many cúnts but there is way more sound people there. Enjoy the experience. Generally the only thing you should bring worth robbing is your phone and money. Both of which should be kept near you at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

As for translating to live:

*video*

I'm not trying to be a twat, but if you guys miss out on a chance to take part in something like that in Punchestown, I don't know what you were ever going for.

Throughout this entire argument which has been going on for a good while, across multiple forums, that is the only video I have seen people use in support of AF.

Throughout this entire argument which has been going on for a good while, across multiple forums, that is the only video I have seen people use in support of AF.

Haha, I laughed because its so true.

Not Arcade Fire-Bashing by any stretch here, I think they're a fantastic band...But headlining Oxegen with 2 albums and about 2/3 sing-alongs under their belt is a bit ridiculous, especily when they'll play 4/5 songs that barely anyone has heard yet..I might catch them for about a half an hour but even if you are a complete fangirl/fanboy their set wont be anything like you're hoping for/making it out to be, purely because of the atmosphere in the crowd. They're basically a tent band that go far too popular, however unfortunately they aren't popular enough amongst your average Oxegen attendee.

And for the record, climbing the stage rigging is clichéd and not evidence of a fantastic live-show.

• Advertisement

It's the one that came up first in Google, but I've got more if you want it.

The problem about Youtube is that when they're really, really good, nobody wants to stop dancing to to record it - there isn't one decent live video of Month of May yet, for instance, and it's an absolute beast on stage. I've seen two of their sets so far this tour - one of them was alright-ish, the other tore the roof off the place, new songs and all, and from what I've heard of their show tonight, that's the pace they've kept.

Lookit, I'm not going to preach or anything, but this band only tours every three years at most, and I know for a fact there's a good number of people coming from the UK and Scandanavia for this just for them. It's not for nothing that people have paid upward on 500 quid a pop to see them at their own shows, and I just think missing them on Friday would be missing out in a huge, huge way just to prove a point.

EDIT:

As for headlining, they're headlining every festival they're playing this year bar one, AFAIK. I mean Neon Bible was second in the Billboard charts and they played Obama's inauguration ball, they aren't just a jobbing band no more, alas for all.

The problem about Youtube is that when they're really, really good, nobody wants to stop dancing to to record it - there isn't one decent live video of Month of May yet, for instance, and it's an absolute beast on stage. I've seen two of their sets so far this tour - one of them was alright-ish, the other tore the roof off the place, new songs and all, and from what I've heard of their show tonight, that's the pace they've kept.

Lookit, I'm not going to preach or anything, but this band only tours every three years at most, and I know for a fact there's a good number of people coming from the UK and Scandanavia for this just for them. It's not for nothing that people have paid upward on 500 quid a pop to see them at their own shows, and I just think missing them on Friday would be missing out in a huge, huge way just to prove a point.

EDIT:

As for headlining, they're headlining every festival they're playing this year bar one, AFAIK. I mean Neon Bible was second in the Billboard charts and they played Obama's inauguration ball, they aren't just a jobbing band no more, alas for all.

I'm not proving a point by not going, also I think the thing about when a song is really good no one records it is quite a reach.

I have a group of friends like yourself who absolutely love Arcade Fire and I can totally understand why you like them, I personally find them a bit boring and here's the thing, a lot of people agree with me. Arcade Fire have an extremely loyal and hardcore following, people like yourself and people like those you mentioned, coming from abroad to see them. But for me, the point of a headliner is someone who the majority will like, and for me Arcade Fire really don't tick that box, which is why they shouldn't be headlining imho. But ye know, there are bands I love the way you clearly love Arcade Fire and I'd defend them in the same way, so respect, and enjoy Friday ;)

EDIT:

Theres always some idiot that goes to gigs just to record it, it seems, so that youtube explanation is pure waffle.

They're actually booked in here for a gig in November/December in the o2 which I'd love to attend, so I won't be missing out by not seeing them tommorow night AND I'll have got 2 hear the album.

I'm not trying to prove a point, I'd just rather be elsewhere.

People pay upwards of €500 to see U2, that point is completely invalid imo.

I would have actually rathered seeing them over Muse on the Saturday night for instance, but Friday is for getting the party started, most of the members of AF have probably never been to one.

If billboard charts is the going measure of musical superiority, then god help us all.

I'm not proving a point by not going, also I think the thing about when a song is really good no one records it is quite a reach.

Ah that's not quite what I mean, I just mean that it's hard to find a recording on Youtube that does them justice. I really wanted to throw in Month of May as a "This is why you'll enjoy Arcade Fire even if you don't like Arcade Fire" example, but I can't find a decent live recording of it and the studio version is Tubridy-dull.

I love them for their live show first and foremost. The discs are grand, but the live shows are great. They might not have the name recognition of a band like Oasis or whoever, as you say, but I don't think that's why they were booked. I think they were booked because they're a bit of a coup for any festival, and because their live reputation precedes them.
    But ye know, there are bands I love the way you clearly love Arcade Fire and I'd defend them in the same way, so respect, and enjoy Friday

Fair enough, and will do. :D
    If billboard charts is the going measure of musical superiority, then god help us all.

Not what I'm saying, nor would I ever argue it - I just mean they're out there, they chart, they are not unknowns by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Bedtime folks!! Not too long now..............:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The best advice is to be careful who you buy from - Trust Toutless or boards.ie etc. over ebay or buyandsell, for instance.

Sorry, but that is terrible advice!

Ebay is much more reliable than any of those sites. Paying by paypal gives you a hell of a lot more security than meeting someone who register 5 minutes previous on toutless and ends up walking away with your cash. You've no comeback with toutless, or boards/adverts for that matter! Ebay is the only one that has some sort of insurance.

The insurance is a good point actually, but personally I prefer to buy off somebody who has a bit of history on a site which boards.ie certainly offers, you can have a mooch around somebody's posts and figure them out a bit. It's not a concrete or foolproof method though, so you're right, I shouldn't offer that as failsafe advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Which show, if you don't mind me asking?
    df1985 wrote: »
    where was that?? have to say im suprised.

Rock Werchter

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

For those of you concerned about the long walk for carrying things. Lidl are selling these for €29

Heavy Duty Barrow

IE_Wk27_37926_b.jpg

Just picked one up myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bubblybox

anyone know where I could get a granny trolley such as this?

http://www.thebaglady.tv/redflockrelief_trolley.jpg

Dunnes Stores!

Advertisement