Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2010 All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps. **Mod note post 1927**

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Really pissed I missed out this year, due to a load of different ****e.

Hope to go next year but I suppose the line up won't be near as good. Anyone think the Prodigy will be back in Ireland anytime soon?? I highly doubt it after 3 gigs in the last year. Shame but none of them suited me time wise.

Kinda glad I didn't go in a small way, think the weather would have really put a dampner on things, literally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

oxygen is just full of the stereo typical crowd , nakers/scum bags going to get off their tits on tabs n drink and cause heaps amount of trouble!! and other people just go to drink and have the camping aspect of things !! i dont see this with the likes of t in the park , glastonbury , electric picnic and isle of white!! i do be on other forums about these festivals and i never read of any of the stuff that goes on in oxygen happen in other festival , people go for the music and the craic and then the drinkin comes into it. yes some poeple go to oxygen for the music but i say thats 30% of the people and threst just see it as a weekend of getting "locked".and all this tent robbing and stuff :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: bloody ridiculous if i seen some one knickin my tent they wouldnt standing , , ,i hate that carry on !!!

i know the weathers the issue every single year and we never have the sun beaming down like glastonbury etc but can oxygen bot be moved to where the weather every year its usually dry ?? or is thats stupid?? oxygen has the potential to be a great festival and the stages and setups look good but it would be absolutly great if the sun was shinning down and every one was in shorts and sun glasses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Muse were class :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

A V A wrote: »
    oxygen is just full of the stereo typical crowd , nakers/scum bags going to get off their tits on tabs n drink and cause heaps amount of trouble!! and other people just go to drink and have the camping aspect of things !! i dont see this with the likes of t in the park , glastonbury , electric picnic and isle of white!! i do be on other forums about these festivals and i never read of any of the stuff that goes on in oxygen happen in other festival , people go for the music and the craic and then the drinkin comes into it. yes some poeple go to oxygen for the music but i say thats 30% of the people and threst just see it as a weekend of getting "locked".and all this tent robbing and stuff :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: bloody ridiculous if i seen some one knickin my tent they wouldnt standing , , ,i hate that carry on !!!

The usual excuse is that with 70,000 people at it there is bound to be some trouble. Ballacks! i went to the Download fest this year with 100,000 people and i didnt see any trouble whatsoever over the weekend. Its not as if there is a major cultural difference between Ireland and England either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Didn't see any trouble yesterday aside from one or two people staggering around erratically at different point during the day and tossers kicking mud around everywhere.

The mud was bareable, anyone with wellies on didn't care, which thankfully I did. The rain, tho was another matter, it was persistant and didn't let up at all I had a rain coat on which wasn't waterproof.......

I'd say the act performing in tents got a much larger crowd than they usually did because of people sheltering there intermittently. They were great tho full of energy more so perhaps than the bigger acts, Biffy Clyro were good, as was hot chip and cribs, florence was just ok tbh.

My favourite band is Editors and they were good, but more interaction with the crowd is needed though Tom might have said "**** you" to us at one point! Might have just been the rain in my ears tho because at that point it was lashing down.

There wasn't as many vuvuzelas as the papers would have you believe, maybe at the campsite. People were really friendly really didn't see any trouble - it would be an amazing festival if it wasn't wet but there ya go, weather here is unpredictable as we all know.

The park n' ride works amazingly well. no waiting for buses either there or back. We left Muse after about an hour, the rain was starting to pour down again and I felt sorry for himself who was only there because of me so we left and was home in Dublin within the hour showered and in bed while Muse were probably just finishing up.

Today's weather looks to be ok - it's warm and sunny at the mo but there's no way that mud will have dried up that quickly so wellies are the only footwear required.

Beer is €5.20 - burgers are €7 - tea is €2 - chips are €5
    a plastic bag to wear in the rain is also €5

Nothing surprised me but one thing - piss circles! A group of young lads mostly, would gather in a tight circle and all piss discretely where they were standing then move on..(maybe girls do it as well though).
    :confused:

My favourite band is Editors and they were good, but more interaction with the crowd is needed though Tom might have said "**** you" to us at one point! Might have just been the rain in my ears tho because at that point it was lashing down.

really ??he said that ? what was the crowd like was there many people there ?? everytime i look at the web cams there seems to no body at iy ??? on calvin harris twitter he said "oxygen last night was thew gig of my life " im guessing he was in the big tent so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Went down yesterday, was meant to get a free ticket for me and the gf for the website I work for until we realised they hadn't put us down on the guest list - after much cajoling the person who had put us down bumped us up to VIP :D Didn't see many celebs there though, unless you count Glenda Gilson... ...anyone? Exactly.

Great music, bad weather and a deluge of scumbags - that describes my day yesterday. I caught Two Door Cinema Club/ Florence + the Machine / The Cribs (who had an awful turn out) / Wild Beasts / Kasabian (very irritating sweary singer)/ The Drums and Hot Chip in the end, with Wild Beasts surprisingly the highlights. The Drums singer and bass player ended up flouncing about like extras on Pineapple Dance Studios - quite disappointing.

As for the punters... strangely it seemed like the two demographics at the fest were 17-18 year old girls in hot pants and 30-40 year old scumbags - I've never seen so many knackeres in one place, esp during Kasabian. The mud didn't help either, people just lost any inhibitions and were clearly out of the heads, seemed a bit out of control and potentially dangerous near Main Stage - even seen a knacker take out his cock and start pissing on people at one stage :(

Me and the missus ended up leaving at around 11am, the weather was just so bad and there was so much scum that I really feel bad for anyone that got camping tickets. People have said "oh I'm sure it was like that when you were younger, but you didn't notice" but I have to disagree - when Jay-Z, Black Eyed Peas, David Guetta, Eminem etc all headline a fest (great artists though some of them may be) you're bound to get a rougher audience. I counted five Celtic jerseys :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

even seen a knacker take out his cock and start pissing on people at one stage :(

This, for me, summarizes oxegen perfectly. Don't know why people still pay €200+ to go to this scumfest. I've been numerous times over the years and eventually gave up due to the increasing number of pure inbred dirty scumbags robbing tents and ruining EVERYTHING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

The line-up was poor this year,especially given the fact I'm a rocker! Rap and pop/dance isnt my thing. I went last year and it was very good,and the amount of scumbags was incredible.Tents being burned and all sorts of s-h-i-t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

quarryman wrote: »
    This, for me, summarizes oxegen perfectly. Don't know why people still pay €200+ to go to this scumfest. I've been numerous times over the years and eventually gave up due to the increasing number of pure inbred dirty scumbags robbing tents and ruining EVERYTHING.

First off, I dont want to come across as an Oxegen hater as I am not. I'm not there this year and pretty depressed about it too!

But I have to concur with the scumbag sentiment developing, with every year it seems to get worse and it's an infinitely worse issue then rain. Rain would never keep me from going but I have to say the scum population is a very valid reason not to go and also the average age of goers has dropped to a ridiculous level.

It's like the Bebo/Facebook scenario, I left Bebo a long time ago for the uncluttered, teen free realm of FB...the teens have started to migrate goddammit!!!

More and more of my friends are heading to continental Europe for their festival fix, I myself am planning on Pukkelpop next summer.

It's a real shame, '04 and '05 were my best Oxegens...I think I'll have to give it the oul viking burial in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

First off, I dont want to come across as an Oxegen hater as I am not. I'm not there this year and pretty depressed about it too!

But I have to concur with the scumbag sentiment developing, with every year it seems to get worse and it's an infinitely worse issue then rain. Rain would never keep me from going but I have to say the scum population is a very valid reason not to go and also the average age of goers has dropped to a ridiculous level.

It's like the Bebo/Facebook scenario, I left Bebo a long time ago for the uncluttered, teen free realm of FB...the teens have started to migrate goddammit!!!

More and more of my friends are heading to continental Europe for their festival fix, I myself am planning on Pukkelpop next summer.

It's a real shame, '04 and '05 were my best Oxegens...I think I'll have to give it the oul viking burial in my head.

I was thinking about going to Pukkelpop a few months ago. The flights at the time were about €35 return plus your free rail travel to the festival which comes with your festival ticket. Its €25 return for Dublin bus to Oxegen :pac: and the Pukkelpop festival tickets are €100 cheaper. Its cheaper all round to go to a festival in Belgium than Kildare plus your above mentioned reasons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I counted five Celtic jerseys :eek:

The horror! THE HORROR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Just went yesterday for the day. Firstly may i say kudos to Dublin bus, great buzz on the bus everyone in great form, efficient, organised!

Arrived around 2.30, queue delayed by day goers having their by being separated by there poorly stashed drink. Wow how did the security guys know to check your wellies/bags/jeans pocket for drink :rolleyes:

The atmosphere at this time was great, easily got right in to see 2 door cinema club, got a few freebies, ellie goulding was quite good and biffy clyro rocked. i thought there was great selection of food there especially the fine fish/chicken/burger stands were nice. Great selection of crepes, the cocktail bar had a good buzz but 7-8e for a drink.

Wellies were essential for the day as was a raincoat or alternatively a layer of alcohol but at 5.20 a pop its hard to keep that going. When the rain came it came heavy and i know ppl say that it doesn't dampen their spirits coz of the atmosphere and the music but nothing can beat the sunshine beating down on you, people lying on the grass watching the live bands, cold beers, shorts and sunglasses, thats why all these festivals are on in the summer anyway.

Around 7pm the crowd really picked, i presume the campers awakened tanked from the campsites, immediately queues for everything from a chipper to a bog seemed to have taken an ages as drunks could barely coordinated basic movements.

Went on to see Florence (amazing, what voice), the Kasabian front man was a bit too interactive with the crowd, for awhile it felt like a game of simon says. Muse as always a great show, ruined slightly by moshers bashing into people actually enjoying the show! Also being my 4th oxegen i never experienced so many smokers. We were surrounded by them in the pit, one person even got a ash in there eyes during muse, its pretty inconsiderate given the capacity of people in such a small area.

It was a good day but not a great day but may consider going to a music festival in a warmer climate rather than putting up with this every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The horror! THE HORROR!

Le Coq Sportif hoodies too...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I wonder if they could move it 2 june or august and not have it on during the wet season !

thats what i said but in june people have the leaving cert and most young people populate oxygen :late july start of august i say would be a better time or around glastobury so they can accomadate all festivals in the one go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Its beliveably how quickly it turned into such a scumbag festival , I was at the 02,04,05,06 oxegens wasnt around in 07 to go but was able to go to the 08 one and the difference in the crowd that attends in those 2 years was unreal , havent been back since 08 and I wont be going back either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

thats what i said but in june people have the leaving cert and most young people populate oxygen :late july start of august i say would be a better time or around glastobury so they can accomadate all festivals in the one go

all the more reason to move it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I wonder if they could move it 2 june or august and not have it on during the wet season !

August would be worth a shout for no other reason then the statistic that it has rained (at least once) at every Oxegen bar 2005.

I mean look at the weather we've had for the last 4weeks, then the deluge arrives right on queue.

• Advertisement

http://2010.oxegen.ie/oxegen-live-webcam/

just look at that crowd . . now thats more like i t:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Lots of vids, sessions, interviews from this year Oxegen for those not there.

More @ http://youtube.com/rte2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Only went for the day yesterday but I think 2010 will be my last Oxegen. Its already been said but the amount of pure scum at it was ridiculous. Same old stuff but seems to be getting worse every year. What made things worse is people seemed to be getting wasted even more just to subsidise the rubbish weather. The place was just plaqued with people falling around, acting the maggot and ruining everyone's fun.

Sad to say I found it really hard to enjoy myself for most of the day. I went mainly for Muse and luckily got a good spot for them but the earlier part of the day wasn't so great. Off to Europe next year I think...

i cant say iv been to this one but sounds like there are some amount of nakers there , i knew there would because of the people playing , i was texting a few friends there and they said they're all out of if and tried nicking their things and also got started on :rolleyes::rolleyes: stuff that . . sound like oxygen will have to buck up on a few things but cas it sounds like oxygen is going down the drain :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

200 security men from 9am thurs till 9am mon would cost MCD around €300,000, based on paying 15euro per man.

Small change to them but i guess it's never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

INDIEPENDENCE is on every August, believe me you are not guaranteed any better weather. In fact, July tends to be the wettest month so while it rained all weekend for Oxegen, they got very nice weather all last month for their setup.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i suppose

but they should really re think the whole sittuation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Had an overall positive experience yesterday, Two Door, Editors and Muse were fantastic.

Toilets were clean, dublin bus ran excellently and the mud/rain wasn't too bad!

Though I do agree with the sentiment of others here, I can't stand Moshing for the sake of moshing . I seen a few lads moshing during Florence for fecks sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

My daughter and her boyfriend woke up to a teenage girl asleep in the "living quarters" of their tent. She was out of it on drink and her underwear was showing as my daughter said. Thank god she landed in her tent rather than some scum bag who might have taken advantage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

scudzilla wrote: »
    200 security men from 9am thurs till 9am mon would cost MCD around €300,000, based on paying 15euro per man.

Small change to them but i guess it's never happen

I remember afew years back at poxygen my mate got really badly sunburnt at it so we went to the first aid tent to get some after sun or something for his sunburn. The nurse at the tent told us that MCD wont give them the funds to get aftersun or vasoline so i doubt that they would pay for extra security!!!

Also,they wont change the date of the festival cos all the artists that are playing have played the day before or the day after at T in the park so MCD just seem to get all the acts from them.

Advertisement