Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2010 All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps. **Mod note post 1927**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

rte or tv 3 should show hi-lights of the biggest music festival in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

A few of the Pics i took yesterday
    EamonnsPics867.jpg

that fat boy is looking straight at me:D
    EamonnsPics853.jpg

EamonnsPics860.jpg

EamonnsPics858.jpg

Nearly got squashed once or twice at eminem show but was well worth it and didnt take away from the day brilliant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pegasusbridge

Best Acts of Oxegen: Arcade Fire (smallish crowd but they were still amazing), Hot Chip, Editors, Muse, Ash, Delphic, The Prodigy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

how is this knackerfest still going 5 years after it's last respectable installment. It beats me how idiots actually pay huge money to attend a festival with such rough crowd and an overall unsafe atmosphere. Go to Europe, see better bands and mix with nicer people for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

home from my first oxegen and was amazing! did the 4 day camping and was well worth it, good vibe about the place on thursday few relaxed cans while the campsite wasent that full and the dj at the nokia stage was really good too. friday brought muck galore but a pair of whellies on nd a rain coat and twas fine, best act on friday was jay-z, great show played the classics and the free styling was amazing too, republic of loose were brill too. saturday just brout more muck but we went on and was glad i didnt head home, best act of sat was muse, great show, tunes and lighting display and knights of cydonia was immense!! sunday was great really relaxed vibe in r5 neways d12 were good but eminem met all expectations great show twas perfect.

Worst things about it:
    getting drink in naas, especially sunday 12.30 it satrts at ugh
    The smell of drugs about was rank haha:cool:
    tolilets(expected that)
    i thought stereophonics played way too long maybe it was de fact i was soaked but all the songs began to just sound d same after a while.

best things about it:
    gigs
    craic
    good sessions (not as in aw some session boiiiii, i mean as in they were was a good buzz about)
    freindly camp, well for us anyways
    laser show at fatboy slim!!!!!!!
    stones/langers guy who never charged me for me hotdog and ships(he didnt cook it either)

will i go next year? yes..

question

anyone catch the stranglers on saturday? the only act i missed that i wanted to see..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

so oxegen was great!! everything was really good, bar the weather until yesterday, locked the tent every night, it was a large ten man tent. great acts eventhough there was too much hip hop for my liking they were all amazing, especially eminem and jay-z! really enjoyed stereophonics also!! i thought muse was the act of the weekend until eminem!! what a showman!! utterly brilliant!! then we arrived back to the tent yesterday to find that everyone bar myself and my friend had something robbed, always the few scummers that will ruin the great experience for everyone. as for all of the baggage search :rolleyes:, pffft, i had three bags, one was "searched", quick glimpse and i was in the gate, anyone could have sneaked in anything that you wanted, weapons, drugs etc, during biffy clyro i saw a guy doing two lines of coke! i got to the front of the pit on the first day at the very start waiting to see jay-z and stereophonics later on the night, i was squashed against the barrier as the pit started to fill up, i have bruises across my ribs now and had to be lifted out with my gf as she was being squashed, we ended up near the very back after standing through a few mediocre acts, although i really enjoyed eliza dolittle ;) (and her black underwear) and vampire weekend. well when we got back to the tent we had found that eventhough it was cable tied (i know that wont stop robbers but just to make it less of a target) we had been robbed, phones, wallets (shouldnt have been kept there i know), full bags, make up and underwear ffs!! never again!! i really enjoyed everything bar all that, always has to be ruined by some knackers.. european festival for me next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Crowd wasnt that rough IMO. Didnt see one fight from 11AM on friday to 8AM today. Few lads KO'd and pit shenaningans was the height of it.

Some chap discovered a new use for the Vuu Vuu Fúcking Zela, a way of pissing in the middle of a crowd without putting yourself on display. Lovely. Hope nobody picked it up and used it as a funnel afterwards:eek:

I'd heard stories and was apprehensive, but the 5 of us loved it and cant wait for 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Gutted i missed biffy.

They were savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Noxin wrote: »
    They were savage!

thanks man :(

anyone catch the stranglers on saturday? the only act i missed that i wanted to see..

really poor, they played for half an hour, a half an hour that seemed to last an age! the only acts i didnt enjoy were faithless, the stranglers and the black keys! never heard of biffy clyro before, thought it was a guy, not a band!! F**KING LOVED THEM!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some chap discovered a new use for the Vuu Vuu Fúcking Zela, a way of pissing in the middle of a crowd without putting yourself on display. Lovely. Hope nobody picked it up and used it as a funnel afterwards:eek:

I'd heard stories and was apprehensive, but the 5 of us loved it and cant wait for 2011.

thats the second best use for the vuvuzalas, the best use was defo as a funnel for your bear.

any skins boi?? na
    ^^
    most asked question of the weekend:pac:

RHunce wrote: »
    really poor, they played for half an hour, a half an hour that seemed to last an age! the only acts i didnt enjoy were faithless, the stranglers and the black keys! never heard of biffy clyro before, thought it was a guy, not a band!! F**KING LOVED THEM!!

why didnt u enjoy faithless? i was right in the middle of the pit (getting nearer to the front for eminem) and i though the were brilliant the crowd was buzzing, great tunes, cant see how anyone didnt enjoy that.

Also Paolo Nutini has a new fan, he was great, really enjoyed his set and the crowd there for him was great to be around

Crowd wasnt that rough IMO. Didnt see one fight from 11AM on friday to 8AM today. Few lads KO'd and pit shenaningans was the height of it.

ha ha ha ha brilliant at least he was using his head or should i say his vuu vuu zela

why didnt u enjoy faithless? i was right in the middle of the pit (getting nearer to the front for eminem) and i though the were brilliant the crowd was buzzing, great tunes, cant see how anyone didnt enjoy that.

Also Paolo Nutini has a new fan, he was great, really enjoyed his set and the crowd there for him was great to be around

just wasnt my type of music at all to be honest! still jumped around though! it wasnt that bad, not my music but still enjoyed it! yeah i had never listened to Paolo Nutini but really enjoyed him and his style! then i went to temper trap and they were really good :)

what was peoples thoughts of example

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

smokin ace wrote: »
    what was peoples thoughts of example

Amazing gig. Nobody over 25(or less) in the tent but that wasnt an issue. Really connected with the crowd. If they come back I'm so getting tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Amazing gig. Nobody over 25(or less) in the tent but that wasnt an issue. Really connected with the crowd. If they come back I'm so getting tickets.

defo. really suprised me. didnt even wanna go but the gf dragged me in and i was glad she did. impressed

i thought they were fantastic as well they should have been on a bigger stage with the crowed they got would deffo go see them again :D i am older that 25 and was in the tent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

was anyone here near the couple of dutch and swedes at the front on the left mosh pit for eminem?

This year was the first year I've missed. :pac:

So was it wetter muckier than swap-segen 2007?

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    This year was the first year I've missed. :pac:

So was it wetter muckier than swap-segen 2007?

Was only there for the day yesterday and it was brilliant, sun shining pretty dry in most places on foot, great music good people nice food even the toilets i used were decent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

anyone see calvin harris? Amazing!! Of course you have to like his music but I thought the show was brilliant-the lights! Would've loved to have seen Muse but I felt like dancing and calvin was inside, after being soaked all day that may have been one of the deciding factors for me! so so glad I went this year, I'll be honest I was really expecting to be surrounded by a load of 16 and 17 year old (insert PC word for skangers) the whole day but I was very pleasantly surprised-much older, more laid back crowd than i thought there would be and had an absolute brilliant time!

Wouldn't camp if you paid me though, not after hearing all the stories!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was far less muddy than 2007, and they've accounted for potential muddiness far better than they had then anyway. More gravel and rigid walkways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

Jigga wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Irish channels will show highlights of the weekend like the BBC were doing for T in the Park? It would be a shame if they didn't.

MTV aren't covering it this year-it's RTE, and hopefully it'll be on soon, can't wait to see the highlights!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Top Acts
    1. Muse
    2.Jay Z
    3.Arcade Fire (I was at the barrier, Thanks to all the Jay Z fans who left. :D)
    Loriharton wrote: »
    MTV aren't covering it this year-it's RTE, and hopefully it'll be on soon, can't wait to see the highlights!
    Ooh where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

At one stage, one of our tents was cut open and robbed, but we retrieved all our stuff because the genius in question left a trail of it the whole way back to his own tent. He was also already suffering from a serious headwound and a concussion after headbutting a girl in a fight in the arena.

That said, I still had a blast. Prodigy and Muse are both exactly what they always are, but they get the job done. Jay Z was probably the set of the festival for me, but I think Arcade Fire - sadly wasted though they were on Oxegen's demographic - did their damnedest to follow him up in style. Broken Social Scene was a bit underwhelming, alas, and Paolo Nutini seemed a bit flat in the open field.

There are many things I hate about Oxegen, but one thing I love:
    Win Butler wrote:
    You guys are pretty wet, huh?
    Yer not so bad yerself.

I did actually have a great time, horror stories and armageddon weather notwithstanding. That said, I just don't have the patience for the kind of crap that went on in the west Red campsite anymore - we visited people in Blue for a while, and the vibe there seemed infinitely more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

smokin ace wrote: »
    it finished up around 12

sure the nokia live stage was hopping til after 4am:D

At one stage, one of our tents was cut open and robbed, but we retrieved all our stuff because the genius in question left a trail of it the whole way back to his own tent. He was also already suffering from a serious headwound and a concussion after headbutting a girl in a fight in the arena.

That said, I still had a blast. Prodigy and Muse are both exactly what they always are, but they get the job done. Jay Z was probably the set of the festival for me, but I think Arcade Fire - sadly wasted though they were on Oxegen's demographic - did their damnedest to follow him up in style. Broken Social Scene was a bit underwhelming, alas, and Paolo Nutini seemed a bit flat in the open field.

There are many things I hate about Oxegen, but one thing I love:

I did actually have a great time, horror stories and armageddon weather notwithstanding. That said, I just don't have the patience for the kind of crap that went on in the west Red campsite anymore - we visited people in Blue for a while, and the vibe there seemed infinitely more relaxed.

I've camped all 5 years previous to this and always heard stories but never directly experienced any trouble. It's pot luck really depending on what kind of crowd you get parked up next to. You get a sense for avoiding pissed up trouble markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Went down for the day yesterday-bloody bus driver got lost en route and headed out down the Lucan Road rather than the Naas one:mad:-only cost us half an hour but annoying all the same.

I thought the actual concert went fairly well apart from the mud which is par for the course really so it didn't bother me too much. I went to see Newton Faulkner (suprisingly good), We Are Scientists (fantastic -made my day:D), Bell X1 (as expected), Paolo Nutini (felt he shouldn't have been on the main stage but was ok), , Faithless (savage-really know how to put on a show) and Eminem (started off with 3 songs I'd never heard but picked up afterwards so I was fairly happy). All in all I really enjoyed my day out apart from bottles of water for €2.50-really disgusted with this-water should be provided free or at least at a reasonable price-50 cent a bottle perhaps.

there was plenty of free water stalls pal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 shanty_boys

Not long home there and had an absolutely amazing weekend. Myself and one of my buddies didnt arrive down til late friday night cos we had a football match so we missed Jay Z and heard it was amazing. Saturday for me was the best day even though it was horrible weather. Florence followed by Dizzy followed by Kasabian. Totally loved Kasabian. Although not usually a fan of Muse, i enjoyed their set as well. We rounded off Saturday with the last half an hour of Black Eyed Peas and thought they were absolutely brilliant for someone I wouldnt usually see. Sunday saw Jamie T, Faithless, Paolo Nutini, and the best to last - Mumford and Sons. We watched the first half hour of Eminem and it just wasnt my thing. I know some people said he was the best act of the weekend but Mumford for me were simply amazing. I enjoyed every bit of their set.

And finally, a wee personal highlight for me. We were walking aimlessly around at one stage, not sure where we were going, who was on and ended up seeing Bombay Bicycle club by pure accident and couldnt get over how good they were. Always like this. Such a beautiful song!!!

Advertisement