Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2010 All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps. **Mod note post 1927**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

will there be coverage of the acts on MTV/VH1 anytime soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

30 Seconds to Mars were giving pit etiquette tutorials half way through their set, which was nice!

Jared Leto pointed me out as the 'guy at the back in green standing there with his arms folded' and told me to start jumping. Maybe if his band was less ****e I would have been happy to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Jared Leto pointed me out as the 'guy at the back in green standing there with his arms folded'. Maybe if his band was less ****e I would have been happy to oblige.

It wasn't a once off **** show at Rock Werchter then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Jared Leto pointed me out as the 'guy at the back in green standing there with his arms folded' and told me to start jumping. Maybe if his band was less ****e I would have been happy to oblige.
    haha i remember that =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I will never understand those who pay €250 to spend the whole weekend drinking. Oxegen was amazing for me bands wise! Vampire Weekend, Stereophonics, Jay-Z, Keywest, Kids in Glass Houses, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Clyro, Rise Against, 3oh!3, Hurts, Kasabian, MUSE!, Ash, The Temper Trap, The Prodigy, Eminem, Mumford and Sons and the absolutely amazing 30 SECONDS TO MARS! There were some amazing shows and I'm very proud of my 11 bands seen on Saturday! :)

There's no way you saw them all fully. I had to choose between a few bands but I'd rather stay and see the whole set than see half of 2 acts. That's why I missed Rise Against and really wish I could have seen them, but there was something else I wanted to see more (though for the life of me I can't remember what it was).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Great music and well organised festival, but security (or lack thereof) brings everything else down. All the staff had a great sense of humour, but it's hard to see the funny side of things when your gear has been stolen. I got back to my tent on Saturday to find it slashed and only my sleeping bags and mats left. Really ruins everything. My tent is in direct view of one of the towers, and the way my stuff was dumped on the ground beside my tent means they were rifling through my bags outside and would've been seen if security were looking. I went to the Gardaí, but they said it was happening absolutely everywhere on a large scale.

I saw people going around in plain daylight breaking into people's tents and emptying out bags in a blindingly obvious fashion. There was only one security guard in the vicinity, sitting on a chair, not paying any attention to what was happening.

They were good at putting out the burning tents, I'll give them that.

Overall, the atmosphere was great, but personally, my weekend was ruined. I think Oxegen deserves its reputation. I'm gutted. My first and last
    Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

blubloblu wrote: »
    I saw people going around in plain daylight breaking into people's tents and emptying out bags in a blindingly obvious fashion. There was only one security guard in the vicinity, sitting on a chair, not paying any attention to what was happening.

They are useless up in a tower. By the time they get down the knackers are gone. Those guys up in the towers should have a rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Really glad to see all these positive reply s.

You guys are the show.

2 years I have broke my bollocks working there with 18hr shifts. The whole week before and after, killer work. Pun intended..
    But when we are out set changing, after and before each band , and look down at the crowd smiling. 10s of thousands of them. Its worth the hard work. ( you really have to be there).

I still think last year was hard to top but my missis claims Jay Z was the best act she has ever seen (she is a conservative late 30s woman!!)

You guys are hard as nails putting up with that weather and still coming out roaring .!! The cheers from the campsite all night as we where loading out where savage .

Job well done MCD.

Roll on next year. And Please God in heaven.

Dont rain!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

hmmmm i wonder who will play next year ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

A V A wrote: »

eminem! and bloc party! example! marina and the diamonds would be a good choice id say. not mainstream...yet. maybe b.o.b.
    personally if i had bloc party and eminem on the same day id be fcukin delighted! dont see eminem returning tho:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

A V A wrote: »

Arctic Monkeys, Blink 182, and Chilli's :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There's no way you saw them all fully. I had to choose between a few bands but I'd rather stay and see the whole set than see half of 2 acts. That's why I missed Rise Against and really wish I could have seen them, but there was something else I wanted to see more (though for the life of me I can't remember what it was).

Didn't see them all fully no but it was full sets for most, nearly all of the sets for those that I missed except for Two Door Cinema Club, and switching between Eminem and Prodigy before watching all of Mumford and Sons.

And I'd rather have gotten to see all the bands that I wanted to, and if i went early it was to catch the full sets of the most important bands for me

Full
    Vampire Weekend
    Stereophonics
    Keywest
    Kids in Glass Houses
    Rise Against,
    3oh!3,
    Hurts,
    Kasabian,
    MUSE!
    The Temper Trap
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Mumford and Sons

75% of
    Ash
    Biffy Clyro
    Jay-Z

10/15 Minutes of
    The Prodigy
    Eminem
    Two Door Cinema Club
    (They were all more for my friends)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Arctic Monkeys, Blink 182, and Chilli's :D

no do not say blink please . . .. . . . . i will not stand for them playing oxygen , , ,they have standards !!! haha

i love blink to bits,they are my favorite band in the widest world :p i probably would go just for them :P eeekkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Eminem dedicated the song "sing for the moment" to an Irish man called "David Smith" who was supposed to be at this gig but passed away the day before. It was officially confirmed that no one died at Oxegen, so no need to start rumors about this again. I was just wondering if anyone knew the real story behind this and what happened to him? Has he been a major fan who was in contact with Eminem before the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

sabrewulf wrote: »
    Eminem dedicated the song "sing for the moment" to an Irish man called "David Smith" who was supposed to be at this gig but passed away the day before. It was officially confirmed that no one died at Oxegen, so no need to start rumors about this again. I was just wondering if anyone knew the real story behind this and what happened to him? Has he been a major fan who was in contact with Eminem before the gig?

as far as i know he dedicated the song to the chap the died in t in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I seen:

Friday

Vampire Weekend - brilliant, would have been even better had it been sunny.
    Stereophonics - I think they're very bland and repetitive, maybe just me.
    O Emperor- meh
    Empire of the Sun - extremely weird, swordfish dancers!
    Tinie Tempah - One good song, you know what it is.
    Jay-Z- not a big rap fan but he was good
    Arcade Fire - not really a stadium band, but I enjoyed it. Played a lot of songs off the new album, perhaps too many.

Saturday

Two Door Cinema Club - brilliant, one of the best albums of the year.
    Biffy Clyro - seemed to attract a very different crowd to the other acts, lots of angry men thrashing about in the mud near me.
    Hurts - They were good, like a more depressed version of The Killers.
    Florence & The machine- I thought she was great, played a lot of new songs and that's why I think a lot of people were critical of her. When Dog Days Are Over started, the crowd went insane.
    Kasabian - Highlight of the weekend for me, they were brilliant, was right up the front too.
    Muse - ruined my asshole moshers pushing everyone about, Was knocked to the ground three times, had enough and then jumped over the fence to get out. I felt sorry for short girls that caught in that.

Sunday

We Are Scientists - they were great, cracked lots of jokes too.
    Bell X1 - enjoyed them, knew more of their songs than I expected to.
    Delphic - never even heard of these guys until I seen them but they were fantastic, very impressed.
    Paolo Nutini - better than I expected, sang a cover version of Kids my MGMT.
    Faithless - They had an extra singer come on stage instead of Maxi Jazz for some songs, didn't know who he was but he was really good. Was expecting a fatboy slim style laser show but they were great nonetheless.
    Eminem -only stayed for 5 songs because Mumford were starting, Wasn't really impressed tbh.
    Mumford & Sons - AMAZING, everybody was jumping and singing along, great way to end the festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Anyone check out Propaganda on the Nokia stage? They were pretty good I have to say, good way to close Oxegen with "Hey Jude" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Ive been to Witness '03, Oxegen '04, '05, '06, '07 and 2010 (took a break to experience foreign festivals, which I would recommend) and I think this year is my last. I don't know if I'm getting old (im only 23!!) but I just cant handle the hostile crowd, bad vibes, bad organisation, the halting camp site, over pricing and and so on.

To anyone who has only experienced the Oxegen festival.... go to other festivals, in Ireland and abroad. It will really open your eyes as to what Oxegen is lacking.

Positive note: Faithless were savage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I was at T in the park, not long in from the airport. its interesting to read peoples opinions about oxegen because a lot of them sound similar to peoples experiences at TITP.

Jay-Z, muse, faithless, kasabian, biffy, vampire weekend were all class.

Dizzee rascal was ok.phonics dragged on a bit. i dont remember much of eminem/mumford and sons.....i was pretty gone at that stage.plenty werent impressed with eminem though.

yeah that guy died at TITP, that news travelled very fast round the campsite with a million and one versions going round.2 others were stabbed, and a rape was reported too. In spite of this the crowd was better at T in the park, crowd is a lot older than oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I was speaking to a German girl a while back - and this girl is a European music festival veteran, make no mistake - and mentioned offhand that I was going to Oxegen.

She looked visibly shocked and concerned for me - In Europe, she said, "Oxegen is known as the kind of festival where you die." I laughed it off at the time, but given some of my experiences this year, after giving it so many chances before, I'm inclined to sympathise with her perception of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Brilliant, I saw Vampire Weekend, Vitalic, David Guetta, Muse, Florence, Dizzee, Example, D12, Plan B, Eminem.

Freaked that I missed Two Door and Steve Aoki, but brilliant weekend. Muse were the best, with Guetta and Eminem up there, Eminem just for the atmosphere. Example was brilliang, some great bassy tunes. D12 were awful, they needed Eminem.

Didn't get to see an awful lot unfortunately, the rain was unreal and most of my friends did not want to leave the campsite :(

I'm so thankful that I don't go to the red or the blue campsite. A sister one of the girls that was with us was staying in red and all of her friends went home as their passports, money and drink was stolen, and their tent slashed. Luckily the guys on the green campsite let her in with us. We were talking to some of the stewards on friday and they were telling us that tents had been getting burned out since early that day.

Green campsite is so worth the extra money, right beside the entrance, on more of a hill so he muck is not half as bad and the tents (in tangerine fields) are sturdy and put up by people who know what they're doing!!! I've been going there the last 3 years and would never go back to the other campsites.

All things considered, I had a fun weekend and will be back next year!

Can't remember all of who I saw at this moment in time but they included:

Empire of the sun, stereophonics, david guetta, gossip, kasabian, black eyed peas, muse, the high kings, bell x1, paolo nuitini, faithless, prodigy.
    the ones in bold were definitely the highlights of the weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

Does anyone remember the Prodigys Setlist in order? I was completely locked during it, but remember going 90:L

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

30 Seconds to Mars were giving pit etiquette tutorials half way through their set, which was nice!

When he told the people at the back to take 3 steps forward ther was an almighty ****ing crush for myself at the barrier :S

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Ive been to Witness '03, Oxegen '04, '05, '06, '07 and 2010 (took a break to experience foreign festivals, which I would recommend) and I think this year is my last. I don't know if I'm getting old (im only 23!!) but I just cant handle the hostile crowd, bad vibes, bad organisation, the halting camp site, over pricing and and so on.

To anyone who has only experienced the Oxegen festival.... go to other festivals, in Ireland and abroad. It will really open your eyes as to what Oxegen is lacking.

Positive note: Faithless were savage:D

This year and 2002 are the only Witnness/Oxegens Ive missed since 2000 and I have to say this is partly the reason why I gave it a miss this year.
    I know im getting older(stil only 29 tho) but Ive noticed a big change in the crowd/attitude/mindset especially over the last 4 years and TBH I just dont feel safe there anymore even tho Im never in a group of less than 3.

Ive heard a lot about the Electric Picnic and after my failure to secure tix for Glasto were gonna give EP a go this year in the hope that its as good as everyone says.
    Dont get me wrong,im not here to bash Oxegen,Ive loved it for many years and had some seriously good times there over the years but the powers that be need to take a look at giving it a bit of an overhaul

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

eminem! and bloc party! example! marina and the diamonds would be a good choice id say. not mainstream...yet. maybe b.o.b.
    personally if i had bloc party and eminem on the same day id be fcukin delighted! dont see eminem returning tho:(

Bloc Party are not together anymore...actually, did anyone catch Kele's set?? I missed him due to being at Kasabian (who were amazing)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It'll be fine. Most of the ropey stuff you've heard about happened in the dark old days of 2007, and have been Chinese-whispered into something that happens every year to everyone. Keep your wits about you, look out for your friends and have them look out for you. You'll be grand, and you'll have a great time.

my sisters tent was slashed on Friday night and she had to return home on Saturday morning to get change of clothes and went back down for the remaining two days but didnt stay in the campsite after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Badger87

i've been too Oxegen twice and don't get me wrong it was good crack . . .
    but at some stages your watching your back . . .
    Also robbing tents is just a horrible thing too do . . .
    but i don't think the Picnic will stay the way it is it will change into a smaller Oxegen the scumbags will come and wreck it . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Nothing compares to Glastonbury..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Nothing compares to Glastonbury..

Go make a thread about it if its so great, if you didn't notice this is a thread about Oxegen 2010

Advertisement