Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2010 All discussion, no tickets sales/swaps. **Mod note post 1927**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Mr.S wrote: »
    That guy was called David Catto. And Eminem did say that this David Smith chap would have been there to watch him.

Who knows, sounds like he just heard the story of his agent and didn't check out the facts really.

Was he Irish yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

did anyone else notice that some of the stewards were drunk sunday night? Very unhelpful when trying to find my friend in the medic tent. . :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

im glad i went to oxegen this year, taught me so much before heading of to college! arcade fire were amazing, never heard of delphi before but they were superb! muse were incredible as well as florence (imo far better than glasto performance) kasabian and mumford and sons! if i was going again however i would not camp...appalling conditions! the awesome music was worth the shocking weather camping etc! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭joekeville

anyone know what kasabians set list was ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

This? At a music festival? Absolutely disgraceful...

Seriously, was this your first concert in your life?

third, both were indoors though, and i'm still only 17 so forgive me if this is still all new to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

eminem! and bloc party! example! marina and the diamonds would be a good choice id say. not mainstream...yet. maybe b.o.b.
    personally if i had bloc party and eminem on the same day id be fcukin delighted! dont see eminem returning tho:(

There was some tool with a strong green laser shining it in eminems face, can't imagine him being to happy about that but what can you do. I was more annoyed with the "ole ole ole ole" while he was trying to talk to the crowd. 1st gig he does in how long? And people don't want to know what the mans thoughts are. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoindrummer

This was my first year going to Oxegen, and unfortunately, I think it was my last also.
    While I did enjoy the every second of the bands that I saw, the camping was quite a nightmare. Constantly watching your back for fear of your tent being crushed, broken into, robbed or even burnt down (On the sunday night) is not my ideal way to spend a weekend. Aswell as that the rain really ****ed things up for everyone and you always had to watch out for the numerous drunken mud people who might ambush you with a hug.
    But as I said, the music was brilliant. On the Friday I caught: Kassidy, Delorentos, Plan B, Frightened Rabbit, Villagers and Arcade Fire. Saturday: The Stranglers, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Clyro, Hurts, Yeasayer, Bombay Bicycle Club and Kele. Sunday: Echo And The Bunnymen, Earth Wind & Fire, Newton Faulkner, We Are Scientists, Local Natives and Hudson Mohawke (Who only had about 20 people there as he was clashing with Eminem, The Prodigy, Mumford And Sons and Julian Casablancas.)
    So overall, every band I went to put on a great show and it was the only redeeming factor of the weekend. Even if the line-up is the most savage line-up ever devised by music promoters, I don't think I'll go next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It was a terrible festival imo.

Firstly it had the poorest Oxegen lineup in the nine years i've been going to it.

Secondly the weather (not their fault, obviously)

Thirdly the people. Maybe it's just me, but it's NOT ok to stand around throwing mud at passers by. It's not ok to p*ss and sh*t out in the open (whether you're male or female). It's not ok to throw half full cups of beer around the crowd.

The only conclusion i could arrive at on Sunday evening on the bus home is that, more than i'd previously thought, Irish people are largely assh*les. I can't imagine another place on earth were you'd find such an appalling gathering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

niamhallen wrote: »
    did anyone else notice that some of the stewards were drunk sunday night? Very unhelpful when trying to find my friend in the medic tent. . :/

why didnt you just ask the people in one of the medical tents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I can't imagine another place on earth were you'd find such an appalling gathering.
    I've met more tossers on any one night out in any one of Dublin's mainstream clubs than I have in four years at Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Loriharton

It was a terrible festival imo.

Firstly it had the poorest Oxegen lineup in the nine years i've been going to it.

Secondly the weather (not their fault, obviously)

Thirdly the people. Maybe it's just me, but it's NOT ok to stand around throwing mud at passers by. It's not ok to p*ss and sh*t out in the open (whether you're male or female). It's not ok to throw half full cups of beer around the crowd.

The only conclusion i could arrive at on Sunday evening on the bus home is that, more than i'd previously thought, Irish people are largely assh*les. I can't imagine another place on earth were you'd find such an appalling gathering.

That's ridiculous to judge the majority of Irish people on a minority of people at a festival. I also find it very hard to believe that festivals in other countries are just perfect. I was at Oxegen this year and didn't have any problems and nobody else I knew had any either. It's not perfect but to say that's because Irish people are just a**holes is just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

me and all my mates came home eyebrowless!! :) ha

Well if I based my opinions solely on the people I met at oxegen then my opinion would be very different to yours thankfully.

I heard about the assholes alright, but I never encountered one. I met lots of really lovely people, chatting to people who were just happy out dancing and singing, loads of people asking did we want them to take pictures, people recommending bands, people commenting on outfits, asking if we wanted a chip!

I would say the assholes are seriously in the minority. The majority of people were there to enjoy themselves and have fun. Maybe 20 people pissed you off (I wouldn't imagine it was even that many) and you're basing all 80,000 people on those few, not to mention the rest of the population of Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

sabrewulf wrote: »
    Eminem dedicated the song "sing for the moment" to an Irish man called "David Smith" who was supposed to be at this gig but passed away the day before. It was officially confirmed that no one died at Oxegen, so no need to start rumors about this again. I was just wondering if anyone knew the real story behind this and what happened to him? Has he been a major fan who was in contact with Eminem before the gig?

According to someone on the official oxegen forum. david smith was a huge em fan with cystic fibrosis. eminem was due to visit him in hospital before the gig but he passed away a few days beforehand aged 20.

I passed over him as I'd seen him before at Marlay, annoyed now.

Aw man he was brill!

Doesn't hurt that he's a bit of a lash..:p

Also I was sort of expecting a bit of a rough crowd but after being moshed about at Florence, the crowd at Calvin were great, everyone just going mad and dancing but not being all pushy and annoying in the process-ace!

Loriharton wrote: »
    Aw man he was brill!

Doesn't hurt that he's a bit of a lash..:p

Also I was sort of expecting a bit of a rough crowd but after being moshed about at Florence, the crowd at Calvin were great, everyone just going mad and dancing but not being all pushy and annoying in the process-ace!

Sounds a lot like Example, who as a matter of fact is basically the same act but slightly less know. Love them both.

Sounds a lot like Example, who as a matter of fact is basically the same act but slightly less know. Love them both.

A lot of people have been talking about Example on this thread but had never actually heard of them before-must check them out!

Hot chip were also great btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

This was my first year going to Oxegen, and unfortunately, I think it was my last also.
    While I did enjoy the every second of the bands that I saw, the camping was quite a nightmare. Constantly watching your back for fear of your tent being crushed, broken into, robbed or even burnt down (On the sunday night) is not my ideal way to spend a weekend. Aswell as that the rain really ****ed things up for everyone and you always had to watch out for the numerous drunken mud people who might ambush you with a hug.
    But as I said, the music was brilliant. On the Friday I caught: Kassidy, Delorentos, Plan B, Frightened Rabbit, Villagers and Arcade Fire. Saturday: The Stranglers, Two Door Cinema Club, Biffy Clyro, Hurts, Yeasayer, Bombay Bicycle Club and Kele. Sunday: Echo And The Bunnymen, Earth Wind & Fire, Newton Faulkner, We Are Scientists, Local Natives and Hudson Mohawke (Who only had about 20 people there as he was clashing with Eminem, The Prodigy, Mumford And Sons and Julian Casablancas.)
    So overall, every band I went to put on a great show and it was the only redeeming factor of the weekend. Even if the line-up is the most savage line-up ever devised by music promoters, I don't think I'll go next year.

this was my first oxegen as well but i really enjoyed myself fair enough its becoming a fact of life no matter what goes on and where there is a gathering of a few hundred people or more(way more than a few hundred in oxegens case)there is going to be some scumbag asholes that just want to stir siht but in general i found the people very friendly and very chatty as for the drunken muck monsters going around hugging you and i dont want to sound like i am picking on you but get over yourself its only a bit of mud feck sake it would be worse if there was mud monsters coming over trying to stab you or kick the face off you and the hugs was only done in good taste if you are afraid of a bit of mud oxegen is not the place for you

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Loriharton wrote: »
    A lot of people have been talking about Example on this thread but had never actually heard of them before-must check them out!

Hot chip were also great btw!

example at oxegen was hopping one of the best bands on sunday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yGcKlYAiw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Oxegen was really good this year. Rained again but at least it wasnt as bad as last year on the saturday. Stand out acts were Jay z obviously, best show of the weekend easily. I was near the front also, about 5-10 people back from the barrier in the pit. Hard knock life was fairly epic with the whole crowd singing the chorus. Pity he didnt do "girls girls girls".

Another stand out act was Steve aoki in the dance arena. Anyone go it? It was fairly crazy to say the least. Not as good as the beetroots but hes getting there :P Warp 1979 was mental.

Dizzee rascal was good too, pity the weather was so ****e at the time. Probably rained the heaviest of the weekend then when he was on. Still he put on a good show, it went fast though I thought. I thought it was cut short because of the rain or something.

Vampire weekend were good also. Was at the front barrier in the pit for them and it was good bit of craic.

Biffy clyro were good too even tho they had a short set and alot of the crowd didnt seem to know them. Would have been better if they played a smaller stage later in the night.

David guetta was class even the tent was way overcrowded. He knows how to get the crowd pumped anyway.

Other good shows were fake blood, the black keys, armand ven helden, D12, Professor green and Example. Crowd went crazy for Kickstarts and wont go quietly.

Overrall a better weekend that last year in terms of headliners and weather, but dance arena was a bit ****e this year. But still really enjoyed it. Might go to rock wertcher or pukklepop next year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

I think I broke a world record for high 5's during the course of the weekend, especially during Kasabian!

Immense weekend.

A foreign festival is the next thing for me and my friends though.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Another stand out act was Steve aoki in the dance arena. Anyone go it? It was fairly crazy to say the least. Not as good as the beetroots but hes getting there :P Warp 1979 was mental.

I was dragged out after about 40 mins, but loved every second of that time. Problem is MCD wont be happy with him for stage diving. Champagne was a really cool idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I was dragged out after about 40 mins, but loved every second of that time. Problem is MCD wont be happy with him for stage diving. Champagne was a really cool idea though.
    Yeah the stage diving into the crowd was mad, im pretty sure I saw him fall into the crowd while he was crowd surfing and start jumping around but then get dragged out by the stewards. We were at the front barrier and could see him trying to get back in the crowd but the stewards wouldnt let him haha
    Why wont MCD be happy with him doing that? like will they not bring him back after that or something?

Good video here of the madness that is "warp 1979" at oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

cant wait for beetroots at picnic after seeing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I found a camera on the sunday by the main stage during paulo nitini. I'm sure someone really wants it back as it's got a memory card with loads of pics. Think it may belong to someone from newry or who has taken pics there. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i'd really like to reunite someone with their camera. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

haha..yea..im myself looking for a person from derry ( i think) who was with a friend and two cousins from New York at the prodigy..thats all i can recall but he was an utter legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

For yall who liked D-12s performance at oxegen this dude has some brilliant quality videos of them from sunday check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnlBeJ9Iq1U&feature=channel

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Why wont MCD be happy with him doing that? like will they not bring him back after that or something?

Good video here of the madness that is "warp 1979" at oxegen

Is it not 1.9?

I've heard that the insurance lads hate that kinda stuff and thus venues/promoters are less likely to book such acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

First time at Oxegen unbelievable, few close calls but overall unreal. Muse, Jay-Z and Arcade Fire stole the show. No Oxegen for me next year though.... Glastonbury to fúck!

Advertisement