Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Calls only

• 11-09-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.
    I had a Blackberry with the sim removed and the device had "Emergency calls only on the screen".
    The device was previously configured but the user has a new BB and I still have the unlock password.
    I know that if the sim is damaged or out of service when in the device, the enengency calls only message will appear on screen, which is quite normal.
    My questions is, would it be possible to make a call without the sim? I know there is an internal cmos battery to keep time etc. but is there an embedded device to make a call to emergency numbers?
    Its not something I want to test and find out that it works !!

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The sim just tells the phone which network it belongs to. It's the phone's antenna that allows it to connect to the network. When you make en emergency call it connects to the nearest available cell of any network and afaik it takes priority over all other calls too. You don't need a sim in the phone. The phone recognises the numbers 999, 911 and 112 as emergency numbers and treats them differently. You probably already know that you can enter those numbers with the key lock on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Thanks Sam, I suspected as much but I wasn't clear about the exact process.
    Makes sence now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

The trick is to make sure all your friends work in emergency services. Then you'll never have to buy another sim again.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

tonyj wrote: »
    The trick is to make sure all your friends work in emergency services. Then you'll never have to buy another sim again.

:P

that never struck me .. Brilliant.

Advertisement