Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers, IT Courses....help!!

Options
  • 11-09-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Okay so im working in retail going nowhere and really want to go back to study im just not sure what to do I know I would like to go into the IT sector ie. web design, Linux, SEO(search engine optimizing) network admin the list goes on Im just not sure how to go about it. Im 23 now and looks like im gonna have to wait till next year to go to a proper college, i would like to prepare myself this year though.
    Like an online course or a FAS course
    Im living in galway, anybody with any advice please reply Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What do you like?

i.e. are you creative (suggest you might like Web Design), do you like pulling things apart for the hell of it (you might like IT/Desktop support), are you technically minded, but would not like the hand-on stuff (how about programming)

If you like a particular field, chances are you will enjoy the job more.

Over how long do you want to do a course (i.e. a few weeks, a year or two, or longer)? Generally, the longer the course, the higher the award, the higher the wagers you will get at the end. Generally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kaneda187

I think id like web design, or desktop/IT support, I dont think I'd like Programming much or maybe i would never really tried it.
    I'd like to do a year or two year course, that touches on a good few things so I get a good feel for everyting then focus on one field.
    I do like to get hands on did some pc and laptop repairing a while ago, nothing big just upgrading ram changing out HDD that sort of thing I like that.

Thanks for the reply btw!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

kaneda187 wrote: »
    I think id like web design, or desktop/IT support, I dont think I'd like Programming much or maybe i would never really tried it.
    I'd like to do a year or two year course, that touches on a good few things so I get a good feel for everyting then focus on one field.
    I do like to get hands on did some pc and laptop repairing a while ago, nothing big just upgrading ram changing out HDD that sort of thing I like that.

Thanks for the reply btw!:)
    Check out www.fit.ie I did a course with them 7 years ago and got 2 weeks work experience with Siemens and ended up staying for 5 years, I've now just started a degree in Computer science in Itb

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kaneda187

Check out www.fit.ie I did a course with them 7 years ago and got 2 weeks work experience with Siemens and ended up staying for 5 years, I've now just started a degree in Computer science in Itb
    Sorry took me so long to reply busy with stuff! and my addiction to playing halo 3 online isnt helping!
    I really like the look of those course, what course did you do(if you dont mind me asking and did you have any other qualifications before you started) How much did it cost and where are the courses held?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kingofleinster

Hi

I can recommend the ITB course ,

Most IT courses cater for folk like yourself , for an example if you do a degree course the first 2 years cover basically everything from web Design /Programming/Comp Arch then if your still around by the third year U can make a choice of which path U want to go down .......Some go for the programming part of it & others go for the Tech support .

You'll know yourself basically after the first year if you a programmer or a support tech

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement