Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dirt bike wanted

• 11-09-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

any1 know where id get a cheap 250 dirt bike ,full size as im 6ft2 and 17 stone,just something to have a bit of craic on sundays up the forestry,i hear the 4 strokes are bad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4strokes are bad if your a kid who never maintains your bikes and you plan on getting as cheap a 4stroke used racebike as possible!!!! But to be honest once you know what to look out for in a bike, ie how to tell if its a wreck or not then 4strokes aren't that bad.

Beginners often choose 125 2strokes, they are a different beast to smooth 250 4ts though, and a lot of riders are far more comforable on a 4stroke then an insanely snappy 125. And at 17stone your going to find that the 125 tends not to pull well on low revs, and then suddlenly hit the powerband and be hard enough to control. However its up to you, if you just want some balls out fun and dont mind not having as much control then go 125 by all means.

Anyways, to answer your 1st question, I have 2 yamahas for sale, an '08 yz250f with about 50hrs (1/2 a seasons use), still in mint condition, Looking 3000ono for it, and an '06 yz125, bit more use than the 250f but in perfect running order, 1600quid. Pm me if your interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

4 stroke MX bikes are pretty fast but have very expensive rebuild costs.
    You need to be changing the oil after every outing and using only top quality oil.
    For just mucking about an XR250 or 200 would be fine, and have enough punch for your weight, I am 15.5 stone and either would be fine.
    If you need more grunt I suggest a 2 stroke MX bike something like a CR250 or YZ250 would be best they have serious grunt but you can ride them a gear high and use the torque. For a given engine size a 2 stroke will be more powerful than a 4 stroke.
    The other disadvantage with the 4 stroke bikes is they are very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

i seen new 250 bike on www.atv.ie a grand sounds like a bargain for brand new bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

twincamman wrote: »
    i seen new 250 bike on www.atv.ie a grand sounds like a bargain for brand new bike

A bargain until you try and do any maintenance and find out how it's made of alloy coloured cheese.
    Chinese Junk and not the sailing kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thats it really. Ya get what ya pay for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭andr3w103

donedeal.ie has loads

2 stroke engines fire twice as much...more acceleration... the engine fires when the piston goes up and down......4 stroke only fires one of these times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

1 of me mates is selling a 150(i think) for 750. Well he a mate of a mate. Supposedly its basically brand new and well worth it. Me man is selling his car and the bike so he can get a road bike and tour europe. Poor chap has brain cancer and was told a while back that he is on borrowed time so he is hoping to travel on a bike before the end, if ya know what I mean.
    I can get his number if ya wanna give him a buzz about the bike. Ill find out the make and cc. I think its 150 but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

andr3w103 wrote: »
    donedeal.ie has loads

2 stroke engines fire twice as much...more acceleration... the engine fires when the piston goes up and down......4 stroke only fires one of these times
    it doesnt fire when the piston is goin up

Advertisement