Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive not appearing in My Computer; fine in BIOS and Device Manager

• 11-09-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hello,

I've recently tore the old 2.5" Toshiba hard drive from my Creative Zen Xtra. I'm trying to recover my old music. I'm using a 2.5"/3.5" IDE adapter to hook it up to my PC. I'm connecting it in place of my DVD drive which I won't need while I'm copying files over etc. The drive shows up fine in the BIOS, and in the device manager. However, in My Computer it just shows my two SATA hard drives, but not the IDE one (the one I want).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

This can just be because of a Drive letter conflict.

Go to Device manager and assign it a drive letter that is definitely not being used and it should show up. like Z or soemthing way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

thanks. I've been through the device manager and can't figure out how to do that. how do I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Go into control panel -> admin tools -> computer management -> disk management.

You should be able to see the drive there,
    right click on it and you should be able to assign a drive letter.

I think I've found what you're talking about. Under the volumes tad I click populate and change it from there? This works with my sata drives but when I do it for the IDE drive it says status: uninitialized, and doesn't give any drive letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

if i remember those zen's correctly they didn't use fat32 for the partitions, so it won't show up in my computer, you'd need special software to extract the music......

• Advertisement

yeah I've initialised it now and it says it's unallocated space, rather than a partition etc., and the only option I have in Windows is to format it. So if it's FAT32 that might explain that. What software can do this for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

if i remember those zen's correctly they didn't use fat32 for the partitions, so it won't show up in my computer, you'd need special software to extract the music......
    Sorry NickCave, if that's correct and it isn't NTFS or FAT32 formatted it will not be recognised on your PC. You can reformat it, but that would erase everything, which would be useless to you.

Found a forum similar to this, didn't read through it all, but maybe you'll find something.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=22271

Advertisement