Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU cooler backing plate

Options
  • 11-09-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I got me the Nexus Xir3500 to put onto my GA-965P-DQ6 but there's one problem that was actually the reason I hadn't put a fancy cooler on before.

If you look at http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ga965p_dq6/3.html, the 3rd picture down you'll see there's a copper plate on the back of the motherboard underneath the CPU. That review goes on to say that this plate prevents you from using custom coolers and can't be removed. Naturally enough the mounting bracket on for the cooler is flat and won't fit on my board.

I do however have access to a metalwork department and want to make a new bracket I'm looking for advice on how to make the bracket. Does it need to be one solid piece? could I get away with some sort of washer setup? This cooler is almost 1kg in weight so it's very heavy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe the plate will end up helping to support the weight of the cooler, I have some nylon washers that I can cut to size and put over the holes to support the x bracket. I'm just wondering is that safe?

p10.jpg

Advertisement