Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fed What?

• 11-09-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

My apologies that I have had to start a new post for this but I couldn't find the post after much searching. A while back one of you fine folk posted some images you had taken with a Fed3 or Fed 5 camera. You bought it from eBay in the Czech Republic.

I really liked the shots, I think one was of a front door and another of a boat. After seeing how nice the photos were and how inexpensive the camera was I'd like to try and get one myself.

Does anyone remember who the poster was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yep that was me :)

Will link you the photos, have them on pix.ie, was Fed 5

http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/350634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I just got a Fed 2 :D Can't wait to try it out this weekend!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If only you had a Tammy!!

CabanSail wrote: »
    If only you had a Tammy!!

I hate you :(

I haven't been able to find one anywhere! Only toy cameras for barbie-esque dolls. And Jonathan wouldn't sell me his :(

Buzz even found 127 film for it...

Oh I did also get two TLRs though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yep that was me :)

Will link you the photos, have them on pix.ie, was Fed 5

http://pix.ie/ghosttrain/album/350634

How have you found it? I have to say I've been mulling over the idea of a film camera for a while now and something about your images really grabbed me. Is it easy to live with?

How have you found it? I have to say I've been mulling over the idea of a film camera for a while now and something about your images really grabbed me. Is it easy to live with?

Haven't used it that much but have enjoyed using it. Its not the smallest or prettiest camera but feels pretty solid. Viewfinder is okay, has diopter correction, focusing seems to work well. Controls are all easy enough to use. Light meter system and calculating the exposure seems to work well. Definitely an interesting camera and seems to have everything, lens is pretty sharp

Theres also the Fed-5b and Fed5c... think the b doesn't have light meter, some sort of difference with viewfinder on the c, framelines. Handy having the light meter built in

One thing I've read is you need to be careful to wind on the film before setting the shutter speed

Only slight negitives I'd say are the size and look of it, does stand out a bit... and slr might be easier to compose a shot with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Zorki 6 ! No problem with the order of winding/speed setting, conventional hinged back instead of a removable one, and a massively long rangefinder base.

Zorki 6 ! No problem with the order of winding/speed setting, conventional hinged back instead of a removable one, and a massively long rangefinder base.

So much to learn...........

Ehh what now? Are you saying I should look into getting a Zorki rather than a Fed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd prefer the Zorki's too - I've a Zorki 4K and a Fed 4 (I think? I used it once or twice, and didn't like it as much as the Zorki)

• Advertisement

The winding speed thing... before you take a photo you have to cock the shutter and wind on the film (one lever action). You also have to set the shutter speed before a photo of course. With some cameras like the fed the order you do these in matters. As long as you remember to wind on first it should be fine

When loading the film of the fed the back comes right off, doesn't seem make loading it any more difficult though

Fed-5 doesn't have any lugs or attachment for a strap, so sort of need a case with it

I've just searched for both on Flickr and for me the Fed seems to produce a nicer image, there's more warmth to it than the Zorki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've just searched for both on Flickr and for me the Fed seems to produce a nicer image, there's more warmth to it than the Zorki.

Uhhhhh, what ?
    Both take more or less the same range of available lenses. The mount is different, but a lot of the russian RF lenses are available in both. Nothing to do with the camera.

I reckon the warmth was more to do with film used/processed/scanned than the camera tbh :)

Uhhhhh, what ?
    Both take more or less the same range of available lenses. The mount is different, but a lot of the russian RF lenses are available in both. Nothing to do with the camera.
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    I reckon the warmth was more to do with film used/processed/scanned than the camera tbh :)

Fair enough- I never said I knew anything! :P

yep camera shouldn't really make much differance and the lens probably not too different, Industar being the common lens, might be just the selection of shots you looked at

It comes down to handling really - And size. I think the Zorki's are slightly smaller than the Feds, and have that bit better handling, but that's only imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

My FED-2 is quite small, almost like Leica. No problems neither with image quality nor camera reliability.

This FED-2 was brought for SineadW: EC475F8669084C4DBFEF4ACC86B8F7B6-800.jpg

I should had at least hoovered the carpet :rolleyes:

Picasso with a Fed-2 and what looks like two watches :D
    picasso.jpg

Yay I just won what looks like a mint condition Fed 5 for all of about €17!

http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=739577313

0f8961eae0d89cbb.jpg

a63cbbee63baa428.jpg

Yes yes I know it's no Zorki but there were none of those were available at a reasonable price. I'll try out the Fed 5 and if me and film get along then maybe I'll get a little more adventurous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Picked up a FED-3 on ebay the other week, havent taken it for a spin yet, no light meter so should be interesting!

Yay I just won what looks like a mint condition Fed 5 for all of about €17!

http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=739577313

Yes yes I know it's no Zorki but there were none of those were available at a reasonable price. I'll try out the Fed 5 and if me and film get along then maybe I'll get a little more adventurous.

Looks good :) hope you have fun with it, only differance I see is mine says (made in) CCCP under the fed stamp on the back

Was looking at a zorki 4 on ebay today, was a bit tempted, but no room for another camera right now

Advertisement