Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another GM question

Options
  • 11-09-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I've just found this slightly bizarre article about animals being genetically engineered not to feel pain. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/10/meat-eating-pain

I can't decide if I think that if people are going to keep eating meat anyway, making the miserable existance of the animals pain-free is the least we should do, or if it would be just plain wrong (my irrational gut feeling) and will make it less likely that people will ever start treating animals bred for meat any better.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well as a meat eater, I believe that the meat I eat is from animals who suffer as little pain as possible when being slaughtered. I also believe that their existence is far from miserable.

Making it so they don't feel pain is a ridiculous idea, because the reason we feel pain is to defend ourselves from injury. Its the same for animals.

Whats to stop a cow while chewing the cud to accidentally chew through its own lips? It wouldn't know it was doing it because it would not be able to feel the pain that we all feel when we bite our lip or cheek. The cow could chew through its own lips, inviting infection, and if not caught soon enough could lead to the cow having to be put down. Not to mention the distress it could cause the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

syklops wrote: »
    Well as a meat eater, I believe that the meat I eat is from animals who suffer as little pain as possible when being slaughtered. I also believe that their existence is far from miserable.
    and where do you stand on Santa Claus, angels and Chris DeBurgh's talent?

Advertisement