Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton Shower Fix

Options
  • 11-09-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi Lads,
    Hopefully someone can help me with this one.
    I've been happly using the triton shower for a few years now, it's about 3 years old. During the week I think I noticed the motor making a little more noise, but couldn't be sure. Anyhow, turned it on thismorning, and only cold water came out, and pressure is very low. Any ideas?... orange light still on, making the normal (loudish) purring sound... havent changed the temperature or anything, just turned her on.

Any help/ideas to check would be great,
    ta,
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If its still making noise i would guess the element not the motor have you tried

showerdoc.co.uk

There is a section on triton problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

First remove the hose from the shower unit in case there is a kink causing a blockage
    Possible filter blockage which reduces the flow and cuts out the heating element .The motor noise is usually related to a lack of sufficient water which causes a higher pitch in the motor.
    Some filters are easily accessable though others require some knowledge to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

maperoo wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    Hopefully someone can help me with this one.
    I've been happly using the triton shower for a few years now, it's about 3 years old. During the week I think I noticed the motor making a little more noise, but couldn't be sure. Anyhow, turned it on thismorning, and only cold water came out, and pressure is very low. Any ideas?... orange light still on, making the normal (loudish) purring sound... havent changed the temperature or anything, just turned her on.

Any help/ideas to check would be great,
    ta,
    Al

I've had this happen on more than one occasion and it has always been the filter on the cold water supply blocking with lime scale. It's pretty straight forward to fix, basically shut off power and water and the filter looks like a black cylinder on the cold supply. Just unscrew it and rise out - you'll get better instructions if you google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maperoo

thx guys... althouh not quite there yet. :(
    I took off the cover and cleaned the filter and it's still te same.. low pressure and cold.
    While cleaning the filter I've confirmed the pressure coming in to the shower filter is fine, so not sure what next.. any ideas?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi
    You have not posted the model which would be helpful, I had a similar problem with a Triton T90 and the cause was a faulty micro switch.
    These little units can fail over time due to the relativly heavy current passing thru a light contact.
    If there is any discolouration on the pins it/they are prob goosed.
    Replacements are available from Radionics.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maperoo

Cheers,

Model is:
    Triton T900pi

Assuming you have checked the shower hose connection (sometimes its the simple things!!) and you are happy with the supply pressure you may have an airlock. I'd suggest ringing a triton helpline where the engineers could walk you through the procedure on how to purge the air. As previously suggested it means manually pushing a micro switch or a 'paddle' (as in a Mira shower) Make sure power is off before doing this and familiarise yourself with the inner workings of the shower before you ring .

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Sorry to crash the Triton party but I've a MIRA Elite 2 electric shower with occasional probs similar to the OP's. Any insights on how to sort out folks??

Mira replace the Elite 2 with the Elite XS, probably due to some design fault. If your problem is only occasional it may be due to occasional low water flow.Are there other people using a lot of water at the same time when it happens? Defintely check the filter /shower head/hose/could be an airlock (specially after you've cleaned the filter )

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Mira replace the Elite 2 with the Elite XS, probably due to some design fault. If your problem is only occasional it may be due to occasional low water flow.Are there other people using a lot of water at the same time when it happens? Defintely check the filter /shower head/hose/could be an airlock (specially after you've cleaned the filter )

Cheers Robbie71, will try that to see if it is an airlock.

Background is that it was the main shower in the house until last year when we added on another bathroom and a power shower, powered by an entirely separate system. Anyway, we haven't been using it as much these last few months which might explain the probs. Will get me marigolds on and tackle it tonight so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 bralan

Sounds like the same problem I had - the carbon brushes on the motor may be worn out.
    They are a doddle to change and can be got from the main Tritron dealer in Maynooth.
    Should cost you less than €20 for a new set of brushes.

Advertisement