Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick on a sunny day

Options
  • 11-09-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Is there anything more uplifting than a stroll through town on a sunny day :) O'Connell st can be glorious at times. The Peoples park (during the day) is a sight to be hold. Bedford Row and Lower Thomas St is energizing on a day like this. Limerick comes into its own on a day like this. It shows itself to be something to behold.

For Limerick can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll on Thomas Street
    There’s no need to hurry
    There’s no need to worry
    You’re the king and the lady’s a queen
    O'Connell Street’s a wonderland
    There’s magic in the air
    There’s diamonds in the lady’s eyes
    And gold-dust in her hair
    And if you don’t believe me
    Come and meet me there
    In Limerick on a sunny Summer morning
    Come and meet me there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Liam79 wrote: »
    O'Connell st can be glorious at times.
    Seriously, are you having a laugh? O Connell St in it's present state is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Is there anything more uplifting than a stroll through town on a sunny day :) O'Connell st can be glorious at times. The Peoples park (during the day) is a sight to be hold. Bedford Row and Lower Thomas St is energizing on a day like this. Limerick comes into its own on a day like this. It shows itself to be something to behold.

For Limerick can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll on Thomas Street
    There’s no need to hurry
    There’s no need to worry
    You’re the king and the lady’s a queen
    O'Connell Street’s a wonderland
    There’s magic in the air
    There’s diamonds in the lady’s eyes
    And gold-dust in her hair
    Come and meet me there
    Come and meet me there

Sounds like you need to see St Josephs on a sunny day to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I'm not one to bring a downer on this as i mainly live in dublin, but my other half is from outside limerick ( the clare side ) and even i find o'connell st a a disaster area on a saturday/weekend day nothing some napalm or ethnic cleansing wouldnt cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

ya sorry lads, your right of course. For a glorious minute or 2 there i forgot what a horrible dangerous little kip of a town we all live in
    Thanks for reminding me lads............

(its funny, outsiders criticise Limerick we get all defensive and paranoid, we stick up for it amongst ourselves and we are told to cop on its a hole!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ya sorry lads, your right of course. For a glorious minute or 2 there i forgot what a horrible dangerous little kip of a town we all live in

(its funny, outsiders criticise Limerick we get all defensive and paranoid, we stick up for it amongst ourselves and we are told to cop on its a hole!)

Sorry, but you were getting above yourself there.

We had to bring you down to our depressed level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That reminds me. Drugs is having a terrible effect on Limerick.

Supporting Limerick is one thing. Writing bad poetry about it is pretty far from normal. O'Connell Street? Wonderland?

I didnt write that Mark :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Screw the doubters, I think Limerick is lovely on rare days like today when the sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Its a smashing day in the Limerick, place looks good. Time to take the soccer flags though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its a nice day to go for a drive or walk in the park alright but O'Connell st? pink dayglo and wifebeater vests/tracksuit bottoms heaven down there today, knackers are like the opposite of cockroaches, the sunnier it gets the more of them are in the one place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You didn't write the dub version. You did write this post with Limerick in it though. Which makes me think you are really enjoying the sun. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

Limerick is lovely on a day like to today especially Thomond Park........roll on the match!!!!

I dunno.......
    u say something bad about Limerick and your a disgrace...u say something good, and your an eejit.........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Liam79, fair play for trying to inject a bit of happiness into this rapidly festering waste of a once great forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MarkR wrote: »
    That reminds me. Drugs is having a terrible effect on Limerick.

You mean they've run out!!! :eek:

An File wrote: »
    Liam79, fair play for trying to inject a bit of happiness into this rapidly festering waste of a once great forum.

Thanks mate.......this thread is a little depressing :( Can we not be proud of our town without being laughed at??!! Pretty fockin sad isnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Somethings never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    I'm not one to bring a downer on this as i mainly live in dublin, but my other half is from outside limerick ( the clare side ) and even i find o'connell st a a disaster area on a saturday/weekend day nothing some napalm or ethnic cleansing wouldnt cure.

What an erudite and well-informed resposnse. I wonder how it would sound in German? (especially the latter part of your quote)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

ein Katastrophengebiet an einem Samstag / Wochenende nichts einigen Napalm oder ethnischen Säuberungen wouldnt heilen.

By the power of Google translate (yes, I know)

Also, this is the internet, everyone is Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i dunno i personally think with days like today, ireland in generally is one of the best places. you have everything here and everyone is so happy the sun is out the head straight to the coast and everyone gets a bit larry! cant beat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

OP there are some nice spots on a day like today day, there around the boat club(near the courthouse), you can see the marina , the boats and the castle.
    But O'Connel st??? you having a laugh?

I recommend people to go to the top of the strand hotel , go out the balcony and have a look on a day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I dunno.......
    u say something bad about Limerick and your a disgrace...u say something good, and your an eejit.........:rolleyes:

So you're aware of the fact that you're a disgraceful Eejit?

- Job done lads :D

Only joking..... And parts of Limerick do look fantastic in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Liam79 mate keep up the optimism and dont let the idiots dampen the mood. Limerick is a wonderful city when the sun is shinning. everywhere you walk is just glowing. if your walking down by the treaty stone down towards the hilton(i forget what its called now). cruises street O'Connell street bedford row catherine street the peoples park perry and tait squares they all look amazing when the sun is there. i always said its a beautiful city that would have alopt more tourism if we had the weather. great day for enjoying a coffe or pint outside the lock or claws. or a game of footie.

happy 'sun' day everyone:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

it was hard to enjoy arthurs quay park today with all the scum around,lads with tops off and scummy tattoos with aggresive dogs:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

it was hard to enjoy arthurs quay park today with all the scum around,lads with tops off and scummy tattoos with aggresive dogs:(

Was sitting in Arthur's Quay park with my friend and his girlfriend for ten awful minutes this afternoon. There was one dopey little [noparse]****er[/noparse] screaming at a group of girls, and they obliged him by screaming back about the size of his knob.

On the other hand, the view of the river from the bridge was stunningly beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

See thats the thing about Limerick, anywhere half decent in the city to go on a sunny day is always full of scumbags, the little pier thing just past Clohessys bar by the bridge for example, always full of scobes down there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

krudler wrote: »
    See thats the thing about Limerick, anywhere half decent in the city to go on a sunny day is always full of scumbags, the little pier thing just past Clohessys bar by the bridge for example, always full of scobes down there

I presume your talking about Poormans Kilkee.......In fairness most kids underage drink there, its a Limerick tradition, I know i did myself back in the day, good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

lockman wrote: »
    What an erudite and well-informed resposnse. I wonder how it would sound in German? (especially the latter part of your quote)

It actually sounds better when folks from limerick say it ..

Was sitting in Arthur's Quay park with my friend and his girlfriend for ten awful minutes this afternoon. There was one dopey little [noparse]****er[/noparse] screaming at a group of girls, and they obliged him by screaming back about the size of his knob.

On the other hand, the view of the river from the bridge was stunningly beautiful :)
    krudler wrote: »

There's no denying Limerick is a nice looking place, it's just such a shame that you cant walk five yards in the town with out meeting some scobe with his hands down his pants glaring sideways at you, as if to say go on i'll burst ye .. I stand by my ethnic cleansing statement, !! and shall be the first one to hand out the napalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Have a look at these photos, courtesy of Bock The Robber:

http://bocktherobber.com/2009/09/limerick-pictures-this-is-where-we-live

The OP might enjoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

There was one dopey little [noparse]****er[/noparse] screaming at a group of girls, and they obliged him by screaming back about the size of his knob.

See? You'd never find that sort of thing in Dublin, would you? Or Cork. Or Galway.

No skobes there. No crime either.

Reason? No locals with a sense of inferiority who want to knock their home town on the tinkernet.

Lads, get a grip. It's our town, not theirs. Why focus on the worthless knackers?

Get out there and make out town better if you have anything to contribute, instead of phuqqing whinging about how schitt it is. Or else phuq off to Dublin or Cork or Galway where it's so phuqqing great and where they have no skobes at all at all at all. If you think the Arthurs Quay park is bad, check out the Liffey boardwalk in Dublin for a classy afternoon walk.

Wait till you see how phuqqing great Waterford is, and Athlone. And Sligo.

Come on. This is your town, unless you happen to be a student who never heard of Poor Man's Kilkee and refers to it as a "little pier thing".

Don't obsess about the mutant classes. They're a nuisance but they're not our people and they don't own our town.

Advertisement