Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science through Arts Omnibus

Options
  • 11-09-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I've just started DN012 and I'm thinking of changing from English as one of my subjects to Computer Science. Has anyone here done Computer Science through Arts, and if so, what was it like? Do you find that there's room for creativity or is it more...em...sciencey? Do you think it would be more useful in terms of getting a job? I'll probably be doing a post-grad course anyways, so I'm not looking for something that would make me employable straight out of college, I just want something that will give me a good set of skills for whatever it is that I want to do next. Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I did it for a year and a half and transferred out(not because of any Comp. sci. negative)
    It's a well setup course, the first year modules are pretty easy for the most part and relatively interesting.

2nd year, things get harder in some subjects but stay pretty interesting.
    Help is there if it's needed and it seems like a good solid subject.

I'd recommend comp. sci. in UCD, to anyone who has an interest in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

betafrog wrote: »
    If it's something you plan on seeing through to a degree make sure your maths are up to scratch, while first and second year are relatively math free for the arts students you'll be doing all the same modules in third as the science folk in which is very math heavy.

I do more Math modules then any of you guys! :pac:

Although, Comp Sci through the Omnibus is different. If your seriously considering Computer Science as your degree, I'd do it for a semester, Decide if its for you then transfer to DN050 and enter the Single Subject Major.
    In doing so you'll do a total of 160 credits of Comp Sci for 2nd ,3rd and 4th year and you would have done the same classes as the science folk for 1st. So really, You'd be doing more computer science then the Bsc. This route would probably be best for the BA students (Based on the opinion of lecturers I consulted) and its also exactly what I've chosen to do.
    As mentioned above, if you choose to do Comp sci on the omnibus. Dont avoid the 2nd year math modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

TDOie wrote: »
    As mentioned above, if you choose to do Comp sci on the omnibus. Dont avoid the 2nd year math modules.

Discrete Maths is on the only second year BA CompSci maths module is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

karmabass wrote: »
    Discrete Maths is on the only second year BA CompSci maths module is it not?

Formal Foundations is on DN050 (if your doing Single Subject Major) those are the two you MUST do.

stay away is my advice tbh. its an administrative mess, and unfair on the arts student i feel, your at a great disadvantage, if you want to do comp science do the bsc instead of ba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement