Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista or XP

• 11-09-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Which would you prefer :):cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Defo xp I had vista for a while not mad on it at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Yeah i have vista on the laptop n xp on the pc have to say i prefer xp myself thinkin of gettin a new pc now do u think i should stick wit xp or will most new programs be more vista inclined?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 stlay

only xp vista is bugged ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Windows 3.1 is where it's at...
    But seriously, Windows 7 will be released in October, i've been using it for months now and find it to be fantastic. I have the RTM version and have it installed on my old laptop, and my new desktop, both going perfectly. I wouldn't go back to xp tbh, unless you're running serioulsy dated hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

I think you can download a demo of windows 7 somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Wait for Windows 7, surely pointless buying xp at this stage considering how well 7 is performing on even the poorer hardware :)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oliver1985 wrote: »

Not anymore. Windows released the release candidate version for public download, but have since pulled it. It only works until sometime in March afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Cheers lads..
    wat happens if i get a computer with windows xp already installed
    sorry if its a dumb question but i'm not too well up on this kinda thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I find Vista to be very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I find Vista to be very handy

Yeah, I actually don't understand all the Vista hatred. Is it really that bad??

I got a PC with it pre-installed and now use it for work (although it would never have been used if it wasn't for work, Linux went on as dual boot straight away :) ). Don't have any real issues with it and don't get why people are so against it.

If you have the hardware, it'd be Vista over XP for me any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Not anymore. Windows released the release candidate version for public download, but have since pulled it. It only works until sometime in March afaik

Actually they're offering a 90 day trial of the RTM...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx?ITPID=sprblog

May suit someone here. Possibly do one of those re-arming commands after the 90 days if you're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

bman wrote: »
    Yeah, I actually don't understand all the Vista hatred. Is it really that bad??

I got a PC with it pre-installed and now use it for work (although it would never have been used if it wasn't for work, Linux went on as dual boot straight away :) ). Don't have any real issues with it and don't get why people are so against it.

If you have the hardware, it'd be Vista over XP for me any day.

It certainly is that bad :)

I've converted several of my friends from vista to xp simply because their software wouldn't work properly. I don't think vista is terrible operating system. Its certainly no WinME, but its just organised really badly. There are some bits that I think are ok. Microsoft really needs to get some lessons in user interface design.

For the time being I'm gonna stick to XP. Might switch to windows 7 when it comes out and avoid Vista altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    Cheers lads..
    wat happens if i get a computer with windows xp already installed
    sorry if its a dumb question but i'm not too well up on this kinda thing :)
    You won't get any upgrades. Many PC manufacturers will sell you the PC today with Vista on it, and you'll be entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 7 in October (just pay P&P).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

im a vista fan , went from xp to vista and will never go back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

I have vista and have no problems. I generally only game and surf the interwebs, so for that it seems fine.

I guess it depends on your hardware. I'll be checking out windows 7 when it's out but have no plans to wipe vista and install 7. See how it goes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Zapho wrote: »

But this is what I mean, people say this but give no real good reasons as to why. (This is not specific to you, I'm just making the comment that a lot of people just jump straight onto the "Vista is crap" bandwagon without any good reasoning)
    I've converted several of my friends from vista to xp simply because their software wouldn't work properly.

What software didn't work? Almost everything has worked fine for me in Vista, apart from really old (like 1997) software.
    its just organised really badly. There are some bits that I think are ok. Microsoft really needs to get some lessons in user interface design.

Any worse of a UI than XP? I was never a big fan of XP anyway and the UI is bland as hell. I'd rather the Vista UI by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we have 4 XP machines and one Vista machine in the office. guess which one has yet to give me any problems?

im not saying vista is immaculate but in direct comparison with xp - you spend far less of your time trying to solve stupid little glitches and errors and virtual memory and networking problems.

the UI is a poor argument: you can always switch to windows classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've converted several of my friends from vista to xp simply because their software wouldn't work properly. I don't think vista is terrible operating system. Its certainly no WinME, but its just organised really badly. There are some bits that I think are ok. Microsoft really needs to get some lessons in user interface design.

For the time being I'm gonna stick to XP. Might switch to windows 7 when it comes out and avoid Vista altogether!

Huh...
    Windows 7 has a pretty much identicle interface to Vista...
    I haven't had any issues running software on Vista, have had absolutely zero driver issues apart from some patchy support from Creative when it first came out, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over XP any day of the week.
    Windows 7 definitely an improvement, but that doesn't mean that Vista is the festering pile of poo that people make it out to be... It's a perfectly stable OS with far fewer annoyances than XP (as soon as you turn off UAC of course)

Advertisement