Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard can it be, eh?

• 11-09-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the Duffer's Guide to attempting an Ironman in 2010.

Vital stats:
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 90kg
    Wife/Kids: Yes to both (kids 7,4,4 & 2)
    Job: Flogging software in crazier parts of EMEA (Africa, Middle East, Russia, Pakistan etc..) - Way too much time away from home
    Injuries: Slight niggle in right achilles, but otherwise fine.

History:
    Roped into a marathon in 2000, which was the start of an interest in triathlon. Have done a bunch of Olympics since then (hovering around 2 40 - 2 45 for a fast course).

11 Marathons to date
    PB 3 26 - London 04
    Most recent: 3 39 Connemara 09

2 HIMS
    I guess Eireman doesn't count due to lack of swim, but recorded 6 20 @ Ireman in 2008

Challenge:
    Have made it this far with no training plan, other than the enjoyment of swimming/biking/running for as long as time allows.
    Not sure that this will get me to the finish line for an Ironman, so I'm hoping that a commitment to record what I'm up to will result in a little more dedication to a plan.

The Plan:
    1) Get the weight down to closer to 85kg
    2) Using one of Finks' plans to get me ready for an IM at end July/early Aug 10.
    3) (Re) join a tri club
    4) Hook into a masters swim club if time allows

Expected intermediate goals:
    DCM 09
    Connemara 10
    Tri Athy 10
    W200 10
    Beast of the East 10

First Actions:
    1) Negotiate with the wife re; IM sign up
    2) Invest in a HRM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭RJM22

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Not hard at all! Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Given the good weather lately, I've been commuting on the single speed (a modest 8km or so, but keeps things ticking over)

I get the feeling that the courier's view you with slightly less distain on the ss, but that evaporates when they see it is not a fixie:-)

Anyways, I see the rent-a-bike scheme is up and running...I think it is a great concept, but wonder if we are culturally ready for it.

In general, it is still not cool for adults to be seen using a bike as their primary mode of transport...:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck with the log. I'd love to do an Ironman someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Izoard wrote: »

In general, it is still not cool for adults to be seen using a bike as their primary mode of transport...:(

dye think?. I've been feeling very cool flying into work on my new bike, with shiny blue helmet and everything, whilst simultaneously saving the planet like a good hippy should....... Oh yeah you're right

best of luck with the log, can't understand ye ironmen, phenomonal

• Advertisement

No sign of my Garmin 310 yet, so still enjoying the "just run" approach.

Did 11km on Friday and a beautiful 22km around the roads of Ballymoney (Wexford) early on Sunday morning.
    All at the same pace (~5min per km), but lovin' it!

So, you mention to your "nearest & dearest" that you are thinking of an Ironman, and the various responses range from "that's nice..." to "lunatic".

Was surfing around on UK forum the other day and got a little more exposure to the murky world of multiple IMs.

Normal people undertaking phenomenal endeavours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Nice one an IM log :) Best of luck and I'll watch with interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck with the IM prep. Will be cheering you on across cyberspace with similar great intentions someday.

• Advertisement

Have been acquiring a few toys lately, so each time I make it to the office in Dublin, a new delivery awaits!

First reaction...wow! this baby (310xt) looks big...I assume there are some benefits to wearing a laptop while training.

Suspect that the next few weeks training will involve figuring out how this thing works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

First reaction...wow! this baby (310xt) looks big...I assume there are some benefits to wearing a laptop while training.

ha ha pmsl

A couple of days of kiddie vomiting put paid to the weekend training window, so a 2.5hr run beckons very early on Thursday morning:-(

I've been daydreaming about the IM for the last while, so have kinda forgotten about the DCM...need to get my ar$e in gear!

Anyways, strapped on the Garmin and took it for it's maiden voyage at lunch time.
    Set the device to stun 5km per minute and off I went.

The eh, "vibrating action" is pretty handy, particularly if you train with music, so would be unable to hear the standard alarm.

Did my standard run in 53mins, measured at 11km...scarily aligned with the "gut feel" measurement system employed until now.

Have been fishing around for a masters swimming session and now that Templeogue College pool is re-opened, I'll give that a crack..just need to be in the country on a Tues/Wed!

Finally, great to see the uptake on the Dublin Bike scheme...renews my faith in my fellow Dubliners...

No chance of a long run this weekend, so stumbled out of bed at 5am for the second long run in the build towards DCM.

What a beautiful morning for a run though! No wind, nice and warm, and just a couple of foxes for company for the first hour or so...

However, the Garmin has had a sobering effect on timings.

I've always assumed I run at one pace, whether over 10km or marathon (allowing for a slow drop off for the last six miles) and that is around 5min km or 8min miles.

For a relatively short run of 15miles, it took me 2hours 5min, averaging 8.32....

I'm not conciously running any slower than marathon pace, so clearly I'm able to push a little harder when in a crowd, but this felt like a normal pace this morning.

Anyways, will look to do a 2hr 30 or so next time out, but is likely to be another early morning start. I suppose it is good training for the heavy training blocks in the new year.

However, the Garmin has had a sobering effect on timings.

I've always assumed I run at one pace, whether over 10km or marathon (allowing for a slow drop off for the last six miles) and that is around 5min km or 8min miles.

For a relatively short run of 15miles, it took me 2hours 5min, averaging 8.32....

I'm not conciously running any slower than marathon pace, so clearly I'm able to push a little harder when in a crowd, but this felt like a normal pace this morning.

Anyways, will look to do a 2hr 30 or so next time out, but is likely to be another early morning start. I suppose it is good training for the heavy training blocks in the new year.

5am, where you down the country? was it dark?

You might find that although the perceived effort is consistent the pace goes up and down depending on nutrition, residual fatique, time of day etc. What can feel an easy pace one day, can be hard the next. Have you started using the HRM strap?

asimonov wrote: »
    5am, where you down the country? was it dark?

Ran from home in Rathfarnham, dark in places but generally well lit and the sun appeared around 645 or so...

[/quote]You might find that although the perceived effort is consistent the pace goes up and down depending on nutrition, residual fatique, time of day etc. What can feel an easy pace one day, can be hard the next. Have you started using the HRM strap?[/quote]

Yes for the HRM...ave 155, which was the same for my faster (sub 8min mile) 11km on Mon.

5am :eek: Hardcore! Well done

My beloved nipple plasters fell off towards the end of my run yesterday...slightly uncomfortable, but thought nothing more of it.

Went out today for a 4-5km recovery and got 400 meters before I was yelping in pain.

Reminde me again, why is it that men have nipples?

Up and out at 5am again this morning...lovely conditions, no cars..beautiful!

The Garmin continues to point out that I have been fooling myself all these years with my training pace...17 miles in a tardy 2hr 25mins:eek:.

However, I can generally up the pace on the day itself, so despite the facts (:)), I'm still hopeful of going under my 3 39 from Connemara in '08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

What time do you go to sleep at night to be up for a 5am LSR?

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    What time do you go to sleep at night to be up for a 5am LSR?

Normal time..in the sack by midnight, usually.

I generally find the hardest part of the 5am start is not turning over in the bed.
    Once the feet hit the floor, it never seems as bad (unless it is p*ssing down outside, then it is straight back under the covers:))

Managed 31km/ 19.25m in 2hr 45 this morning and glad to get it out of the way.
    Hopped on the bike (via school drop and a spot of voting...) into work and felt a lot better for having kept moving.

Might try for a 3hour sometime late next week and start to take it down a bit from there.

Contrary to most known scientific evidence, I'm not a big fan of the taper, prefering to run reasonably long up to a week before a marathon...probably explains a lot:)

Away all last week, so zero training and even worse diet crimes:D

A few beers at the Leinster snore-fest on Friday night (repeated on Sat night!) put paid to any non-family related activities for the weekend, so I hopped out of bed this morning, in a blaze of motivation!

Run: 19.5miles - 2hrs 50
    Slow, but felt fine...lame excuse, but every traffic light for the last hour of the run was red and v.busy with traffic...might have knocked oh, 5 mins off my time!

Bike: 14km round trip to work

Swim: 1,000m @ 21m 43 - really enjoyed it.

Will do 2 or 2hr 30 next week and then look forward to the joys of the DCM!

Hovered over the "pay now" button for a while, but Ironman Switzerland here I come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just catching up on your log Izoard. Good man for starting one.
    I'll be looking on with interest.

Time management will be the key. Especially jugging with a very young family (including twins?) and the efforts of IM training. At least you don't have a dog that needs walking regulary:)
    Have you thought what your max weekly hrs will be during your peak phase of training?

Cheers Abhainn,

Of course there is a dog!:)

Lovely boxer, but for the most part, I've managed to off-load the exercise aspect to the boss of the house.

I haven't looked at the Fink plan in a while, but either way, I doubt I can commit to more than 14 hours pw at the peak phase.

Based on my experience, if I have to make training sacrifices, it will always be on the speed side of things, as I cannot afford to miss the weekly long sessions.

Hovered over the "pay now" button for a while, but Ironman Switzerland here I come!

Fair play to you. Best of luck and enjoy the whole experience. Will be lurking in the background, following your log to see how its done so don't spare us the gory details! It'll be therapeutic :)

Cheers Abhainn,

Based on my experience, if I have to make training sacrifices, it will always be on the speed side of things, as I cannot afford to miss the weekly long sessions.

if you have to make sacrifices, maybe the dog or one of the smaller children (but not the boy) would be best.

Friday - Lined out for my first coached swim session with the club for oh, 4 years or so:-) Really enjoyed it, as it was the first "social" training session in a long time, although I truly hate any drill that involves floats - kicking for Ireland, but going nowhere....

Have had a head full of cotton wool since then, so did not do my last LSR over the weekend...in fact haven't ran for nearly a week!

I'll look out for the yellow balloons at the start on Monday and see how long I can hang on for...

• Advertisement

For anyone worried about the chances of finishing an IM...a few wise words from Master Tunney:

"Now if you just want to finish an IM none of the above really applies, finishing below the cut off (2hr swim, 8 hour bike, 7 hour run) is probably achieveable with no training for a healthy < 40 male."

Hope the missus doesn't hear about this....lifetime ban on the long run & bike will be on the cards.

Advertisement