Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard can it be, eh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Passing by the race site on Friday, the place looked great...sun was out, sea looked relatively calm - looking good.

Saturday was much the same, the short drive from Ballymoney was great, although the hoards from Dublin were muttering darkly about "thunder & lightning" and "monsoons"...

Was helping to mark out the swim bouys for the Oly & Sprint, and couldn't help but notice that the sea had a healthy swell with off-shore breakers adding to the mix...how hard can it be, eh?:)

The rain duly arrived during registration and the briefing, but was more of the drizzle variety.

Swim:
    A straight line swim down (north -> south) Brittas Bay beach, means that the current plays a big part. Whatever about that, there was a stiff south-easterly blowing into our faces. As an added bonus, I can only breathe on my left, so my sighting was restricted to face-fulls of breakers from Holyhead.
    A very tough swim in the swell...the fastest swimmer exiting in 33mins says it all.
    Swim: 42m 21

Bike:
    Gear on, out of T1, jump on the bike turn the pedals, but no response!
    Clearly my "repair" of the crank problem from last week wasn't quite as successful as it appeared.
    Off the bike, more fiddling, desparately looking around for the Bray Wheelers guys, but they had already headed out on course.
    Disaster!
    So, game over, went back to T1 grabbed a coffee and waited for a couple of familiar faces to return, so I could go out on the run.

Run:
    After a storming bike, TriBar appeared in T2, so I jumped in beside him and looked to help with a bit of pacing on the rolling 10km run. However, the bike had taken it's toll on him with some heavy cramp slowing his progress.
    However, Iron buddy appeared on the horizon around 3km, so jumped in front of him and we pushed it hard to the finish overtaking a healthy number of fellow runners.
    Run: 48m 26

A rather inglorious end to the tri season, but the vibe at this event is such that it is as much about the craic as the effort.

Super event supporting great causes.

DCM is last on the list for this year - need to find an appropriate time to negotiate goals for 2011:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Aw man.. hey you took that in good spirits though :) Hopefully I'll meet you up at DCM. What in mind for 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Bad luck there. Sounds like you made the most of it though. Fair play.

Best of luck for DCM

Aw man.. hey you took that in good spirits though :) Hopefully I'll meet you up at DCM. What in mind for 2011?

I would put Brittas Bay down as having a Woodstock/Electric Picnic vibe...the result is kinda secondary:)

Just glad that didn't happen in Zurich!

Looking forward to catching you at DCM and the very best for the weekend.

Well done on swim Gold, you may the only one to get all 3!

• Advertisement

Well done on swim Gold, you may the only one to get all 3!

Cheers...with half an eye on the Conn Ultra, I'll definitely be hoping to "go gold" before the end of the year for the running.

Good luck in the build up (or is that wind-down...) to DCM.

First run with an eye on the pace for DCM.

Plan was to start out easy and start to gradually slow the pace down to that required on the day.

Target average pace: 6.24 per km
    Actual average pace 5.49 per km over 27km

Found this pretty tough, mentally.
    I tend to have one pace "on/off" - so to start off artificially slow had me in the mind set of the feeling at the end of the marathon, from the start.

Plenty of work to do to get this right....

Actual average pace 6.06 per km over 31km

Getting "better":)

I'll be able to take this up another few seconds, next time out and I'm expecting on the day that all the other stuff (high fiving every child I see should add a couple of mins per km:)) will take care of the remainder.

Looking forward to it!

Izoard wrote: »
    Actual average pace 6.06 per km over 31km

Getting "better":)

I'll be able to take this up another few seconds, next time out and I'm expecting on the day that all the other stuff (high fiving every child I see should add a couple of mins per km:)) will take care of the remainder.

Looking forward to it!

Hey Izoard, The hard thing about pacing is A) being on your feet for longer than you would usually be at your own pace and B) staying concentrated on the pace.

Last year I did the 4hr group with -amadeus-- and credit to him he is an excellent pacer but even he got carried away from time to time and I was like a parent calling an excited child back (you could say he got into the spirit of it!).

My approach last year was to head out and do 1 3 hour run and pacer pace. This year its different.

At the weeked 1.5-2 hour LSR at my own pace and midweek a shorter 1-1.5 hour pacer pace run.

This week target was 1hour at 5:40/km
    Actual pace for the hour was 5:39/km

On the day you will have the support of other pacers and constant questions from your new 'fans' around you as to how we are doing and what pace we are at etc etc..

30k at your pacer pace will have you on your feet for over 3.5 hours. Even though the pace is handy thats still takes it out of you so my advice would be to focus on getting a feel for the pace exactly rather than being within 10-20sec over a 3 hour run. Even 10 secs of a difference is huge.

What could also help is having larger targets such as your eta for 5 miles, 10 miles etc or 5k, 10k etc.. Aim to hit those marks on target as the individual kms will vary naturally.

Looking forward to the hi 5 ing etc too :D

Hey Izoard, The hard thing about pacing is A) being on your feet for longer than you would usually be at your own pace and B) staying concentrated on the pace.

Last year I did the 4hr group with -amadeus-- and credit to him he is an excellent pacer but even he got carried away from time to time and I was like a parent calling an excited child back (you could say he got into the spirit of it!).

My approach last year was to head out and do 1 3 hour run and pacer pace. This year its different.

At the weeked 1.5-2 hour LSR at my own pace and midweek a shorter 1-1.5 hour pacer pace run.

This week target was 1hour at 5:40/km
    Actual pace for the hour was 5:39/km

On the day you will have the support of other pacers and constant questions from your new 'fans' around you as to how we are doing and what pace we are at etc etc..

30k at your pacer pace will have you on your feet for over 3.5 hours. Even though the pace is handy thats still takes it out of you so my advice would be to focus on getting a feel for the pace exactly rather than being within 10-20sec over a 3 hour run. Even 10 secs of a difference is huge.

What could also help is having larger targets such as your eta for 5 miles, 10 miles etc or 5k, 10k etc.. Aim to hit those marks on target as the individual kms will vary naturally.

Looking forward to the hi 5 ing etc too :D

Thanks MCOS - sound advice.

I'm fairly comfortable on point A), but B) is certainly an issue.

For 4.30, I'm finding it very hard to get up/down to that pace without actually walking.
    I've set myself the goal of getting to that pace on the LSR by mid-October, but it is not something I'm finding easy to do, given that I am pretty one-paced to begin with.

The good news is that I was fairly consistent with the 6:06 pace, so am getting better at it.

Ironically, I'm doing the opposite to you at the moment - my ~5min per km shorter runs during the week are keeping me sane:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jamesd77

Ive been reading your blog the last few days, as ive signed up my self nxt year. Your work life time constraints on training really stands out v your IM time. Well done on the time, all those treadmill sessions and no bricks. Woo, makes me feel a littler better if i dont do many next year. I might even do my own block.

Well done

James

jamesd77 wrote: »
    Ive been reading your blog the last few days, as ive signed up my self nxt year. Your work life time constraints on training really stands out v your IM time. Well done on the time, all those treadmill sessions and no bricks. Woo, makes me feel a littler better if i dont do many next year. I might even do my own block.

Well done

James

Cheers mate.
    You'll have quickly deduced that I'm not big on the science part, but anything too prescriptive, would not get me out the door on a regular basis.

All the best with your IM journey!

Hit a bit of a wall on Friday...17km run, after which the legs were saying "no mas".

For the first time this year, I felt that it was time to back off for a while, particularly as I'm carrying quite a few leg niggles.

De-toured into the phisyo yesterday, were there was plenty of teeth sucking and shakes of the head.

I was worried about a growing issue with my right hip, but the good news is that my general malaise is down to being incredibly tight in a few key areas.

"...that 80 year old who was in before you, has better RoM in their legs", was one of the more apt statements of the session.

Anyways, I've committed to myself to start a proper daily stretching regimen, so we'll see how it goes.

Still wavering over an IM for 2011, so signed up for the Conn Ultra as a winter motivator:)

What are the IM options? The Ultra in the spring Jaysus, that means a very heavily run focused winter. Do you do that at the expense of your bike and swim base or are you planning greater hours of training in general?

What are the IM options? The Ultra in the spring Jaysus, that means a very heavily run focused winter. Do you do that at the expense of your bike and swim base or are you planning greater hours of training in general?

Looking at the Abu Dhabi Triathlon

Not quite an IM, but a tough day out nonetheless. Timing is terrible (March), but I can tack it onto a work trip without much problem.

Otherwise, I have my eye on IM Austria, but would probably be going solo (which I don't enjoy) as my usual tri buddy is muttering about taking a rain check this year.
    A couple of other mates are doing IM CH, but I'd prefer to do a different venue.

The way I'm going, I'll probably end up doing nothing:)

As for Conn Ultra - have always been in awe of the ultras at the event, so would like to give it a go.
    Training would be my normal marathon routine and blag it on the day (obviously not recommended, but I have the aerobic base, so would hope to shuffle my way around).

I wouldn't cycle much in the winter aside from the work commute and some turbo activity, so running and swimming would tend to be the focus.

Anyway, what's with all the IM questions?;)

Was back out on the roads today after a 5 day break, lovely weather for it...mojo is slowly coming back!

Heading to Rome in the morning to see U2 tomorrow night!

Came across a couple of options for running tours of Rome, but luckily common sense took over and we'll keep it to walking:)

Yet another weekend slips by with no LSR...here's hoping the IM efforts will see me through for DCM.

After 20 years, first run ever with Mrs I this morning..benefits of 4 kids, eh?:)

Really enjoyed it and as she's planning 4.30 for DCM, was perfect timing.

25km @ 6.24min per km. - right on the money!

Once you fall into someone else's stride, this felt a lot easier than my earlier solo attempts.

Aside from miles of walking, Rome was a pretty unhealthy w/end...however, we were right at the front for an epic gig - loved it.

Also, legs seem to be coming around slowly...maybe this stretching/witch doctor stuff actually works?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TriBar

Good luck to you and Mrs I in the DCM.

Enjoy the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

After 20 years, first run ever with Mrs I this morning..benefits of 4 kids, eh?:)

Really enjoyed it and as she's planning 4.30 for DCM, was perfect timing.

I'll keep an eye out for the woman whose pacing the pacer then and I'll be ok;)

TriBar wrote: »
    Good luck to you and Mrs I in the DCM.

Enjoy the day.

Cheers TriBar...dusting off the Child of Prague in the hope of good weather...might see you down Wexford way if you are heading down for the w'end.

• Advertisement

Doing a few hours on the pacer stand on Sunday, definitely got the juices flowing. I'd never really paid attention to the pacers before as I usually run-by-feel, but I was amazed at how busy the stand was with eager pacees.

Despite the freezing conditions at 7am, you could see it was going to be good day for running.
    An apprehensive Mrs.I dropped me near the Conrad before continuing on to a marathon "safe house" close to the start.

It was good to put faces to the many boardsies milling around - I was lucky to be doing my first pacing gig with the experienced crew of Wally Runs, ITB and SPB100.

Getting the bus to the start with the elites was a nice touch - I think each Dublin Bus seat could take up to 4 Kenyans:) - perfect build for marathoning.

Quick pacer photo at the start and then made our way to our perch near the back. No sign of Mrs.I - I was guessing she was starting ahead of our group, with a few of our mates who were also doing it.

The crowds acted as a good pace restrainer for the first few miles and by that point, I was comfortable with the shortened stride.

Beautiful conditions in the park and with no wind around Crumlin, the half way mark was upon us with about 40secs in hand. We were forming a nice "pace line", with a growing crowd behind us and a bit of space in front.

The family were out in force at Bushy Park and it was pointed out to me in fairly direct terms that Mrs.I was "whoopin' my butt!".

Around by Orwell and Pink Balloon #1 starts heading skyward - a wardrobe malfunction with a number belt, the root cause.

Still, armed with Balloon #2, a 4.30 sign and the truth, we headed onwards with our merry band.

Eventually caught Mrs.I at mile 18 and she's looking in pain - a long dormant knee problem re-surfaced around mile 8 and she began to slow from there. She hung in until the hill at Roebuck, which had the effect of temporarily shedding some of the stragglers.

Reassuring the group that it was "all downhill from here" we made good time to the canal, at which point we realised we were a little ahead and we should spend the rest of the time cajoling the punters to the finish.

Great support in the final 2 miles (and indeed all the way around) and all 4 pacers crossed the line together, with ~15 secs to spare.

Mrs. I crossed in 4.36 - very proud of her. Was a serious effort to finish.

Lots of happy punters at the finish, but one conversation made me smile:

Punter: You were slower than 4:30 - My wife ran with you to the finish, but her watch says 4:32.
    Izoard: Ehhh, we were under by 15 seconds or so.
    Wife of punter: Look here's the time on my watch!
    Izoard: Right...you sure you STARTED with the 4:30 group?
    Wife of punter: Oh, I needed to start with you guys?

Brisk walk back to the Conrad with the 4.30 crew and an increasingly erratic balloon.
    Shower, quick pint and exit to relieve a babysitter.

Great day, good fun and an excellent pacing crew.

Where do I sign up for 2011?

Thanks for yet another great race report. Fabulous sense of the atmosphere that is the DCM. Still makes me sick how easy that distance running is for you though.

Absolute respect to Mrs I for a huge achievement, with injury! Tell her well done from me. A few more swim sessions and she'll be squaring up to Chrissie - in Arizona.

Thanks for yet another great race report. Fabulous sense of the atmosphere that is the DCM. Still makes me sick how easy that distance running is for you though.

Absolute respect to Mrs I for a huge achievement, with injury! Tell her well done from me. A few more swim sessions and she'll be squaring up to Chrissie - in Arizona.

Cheers TriBar...it was a lot easier because it wasn't about the usual pushing yourself, but holding back - a very pleasant way to do a marathon!

Mrs.I is chuffed with herself, now that the pain has subsided.
    Gently suggested signing her up for the Conn 1/2, and wasn't completely slapped down.:)

What's on your event wish list for 2011?

What's on your event wish list for 2011?

Winning the Lotto would be nice :D

In race terms - I just wish I could run! I'll be building distance over the winter and plan on trying to speed up pre-season. No decisions made yet but I'd like to add in a couple more OLY events to step up from Sprints.

Only 2 race decisions made - Athy and Sporting Proud, Brittas - my bench marks for improvement. The HIM in Galway in September, was tempting but thankfully it clashes with Sporting Proud, Brittas.

Other than that I just plan on improving the fitness and healthiness and enjoying the atmosphere at Tri events.

Pick any challenging events yet for 2011?

Pick any challenging events yet for 2011?

Connemara Ultramarathon (April) and Brittas are the only fixed events at the moment.

I've a semi-free pass for an IM next year, but I'm probably restricted to going back to Switzerland, which I'm not so keen on doing over some others. Might look at a Roth slot.
    Right now though, I don't have the desire for IM that I had last year.

So, the calendar looks something like:

Conn Ultra (Apr)
    Sperrin Half IM (Jun)
    Wicklow 200 (Jun)
    Possible IM (Jul)
    Brittas Oly (Sep)
    Lost Sheep HIM if no IM and doesn't clash with Brittas (Sep)
    DCM (Oct)

Trying to get a bit of speed back in the running, so tried some fartlek-ing in my run today...hard, but good.

For various reasons (Ironman, Batman, Pacerman and eh, the Connemara course), I haven't broken 3.45 for a while in the marathon, so I'm half considering one of the summer marathons to get a realistic current "time".

In the meantime I'm flicking through some material to put together the plan for the Ultra..lots of 50k and 50mile plans, but nothing for 40 miles so far.

Speaking of rarely run distances, I managed to knock 2 mins off my swim PB for the eh, 2,250m!:)

Back on the turbo for the first time since March.

62mins at Z1, just to ease back into it.
    Had Scorcese's "Shine a Light" - The Stones, eh, rockumentry for company...still waiting for it to get going.
    Only highlight was some French reporter trying to get some answers out of Keith Richards circa 1980.

Journo: What is the last thing you do before going on stage in front of 100,000 screaming fans?
    A dazed Richards: Ehhh, wake up?

Also 12km run targeting sub 5:00 min per km average.
    Ended up at 4:57 per km, including an epic Austin Powers pit stop:-) Felt good..speed is begining to return slowly.

Turbo-ing my way through Rattle & Hum (DVD) at the moment.
    Back in the 80's I though it was much cooler to hate U2:)

Went to see this in the cinema when it came out - was blown away and have been a fully paid up member since.
    Ironically, the earnest navel-gazing of this film turned a load of people off them until they coughed up Achtung Baby.

Anyways, moving the turbo work up to majority Z2 effort.
    12 min Z1
    53 mins Z2

Running is coming also back to form.
    Managed my 12km loop @ 4.44min per km, much improved from my 4.57 last week.

Meh, 21km @ 5:05 min/km pace.

Started off OK, but have had my ar$e glued to a plane seat for the guts of 2 weeks, which was catching up with me. Felt knackered after a few km, so eased back and just focused on getting home.

Mrs. I is off with the eldest in London town, so I'm home alone with 75% of the posse.
    Will try to get a couple of turbo sessions in - hardest part is trying to explain to the small people what the hell you are doing:)

• Advertisement

Getting very little done these days, but just glad to have a job, eh?:)

Hit the pool at lunch time and pushed reasonably hard for 2.5km, knocking ~90secs off the PB.

This result is a little more relevant, as it is a distance I regularly do.

Really need to make my mind up for the main event next year...might be the year to knock the Lost Sheep off the list.

Advertisement