Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard can it be, eh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

33km in 3hours early am today.

Real mixed bag of weather...perfect practice for Conn!

That will be the high water-mark in prep for the marathon...might do the same again next week and then ease back slightly.

I wonder what the Conn plan is for some of the others who are doing HIM/IM this year?

I kinda see it as a long training spin, so anything sub 4 will be fine (3 39 last year).

Mrs I is tackling her first half at Conn, so my adventures will probably be immaterial:-)

A week in the desert, meant I was confined to the treadmill...3 x 13km sessions..easy enough runs, but crushingly boring.

Today 3,000m @ 68min in the pool.
    500m splits varied from 10m 45 (last) to 11m 50 (middle), so a bit all over the place on that front.

Anyway, first time doing 3km, so feel like I am making progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Izoard wrote: »
    A week in the desert, meant I was confined to the treadmill...3 x 13km sessions..easy enough runs, but crushingly boring.

Today 3,000m @ 68min in the pool.
    500m splits varied from 10m 45 (last) to 11m 50 (middle), so a bit all over the place on that front.

Anyway, first time doing 3km, so feel like I am making progress.

congrats on the milestone - you're well on your way - anyone that can mentally run 13k * 3 on a threadmill has it where it counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Congrats on the 3K swim Izoard. You're well up there now on the swim and run front. How's the cycling coming along?
    I wonder what the Conn plan is for some of the others who are doing HIM/IM this year?

I kinda see it as a long training spin, so anything sub 4 will be fine (3 39 last year).

Mrs I is tackling her first half at Conn, so my adventures will probably be immaterial:-)

Fair play to Mrs I tackling the HM in Connemara. Thats a serious place to start. Will she be dressing as Cat Woman? ;) I'll be doing it as well so I'll be sure to keep my eye out!

It'll probably be a short training spin for me as I toyed with the idea of doing 22M of the full marathon as my last long run before Limerick 3 weeks later. I also considered racing the HM to see if I could break 100mins but the thoughts of the hills is putting me off that so I'm currently thinking of doing half it easy and then half at PMP. My HIM is in Sept so I'm well ahead on the running front, ok on the swim front and not even started properly on the cycling front. The HOTW is in 3 months so I'd better start serious biking soon!

Well done again on the swim.

RedB wrote: »
    Congrats on the 3K swim Izoard. You're well up there now on the swim and run front. How's the cycling coming along?

Fair play to Mrs I tackling the HM in Connemara. Thats a serious place to start. Will she be dressing as Cat Woman? ;) I'll be doing it as well so I'll be sure to keep my eye out!

Ehh, bike?
    Hit and miss really...daily commute when in Dublin, 70-80 min turbo sessions depending what's on TV:) and I've done a couple of 90km spins over the past few weekends.

I'm aiming for the W200 and I'll also probably have a crack at the Mt. Leinster Challenge - THE best food stop of any bike event! http://www.slaneycyclingclub.com/?page_id=33

I've been trying to talk Mrs. I into the Cat Woman outfit for some time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

another one who should be on the challenge!

come on lads doing IMs... interested and DAVE K have put up their stats we need more IMers on the challenge. We all follow your logs but it would be good to see the distance in stats you are putting as we will all be IMers some day ourselves (fingers crossed)

So Izoard, griffin100 and Metaldog... step up lads. 'tis only a bit of fun :)

Well done on hitting the 3k milestone! Seems to be a significant milestone for IM training. A mate of mine doing his first IM in the UK this year was sitting beside me at a seminar last week grinning after doing his first 3k swim.

another one who should be on the challenge!

Done!

However, what is the "formula" for calculating distance from the turbo? - Sorry, it is probably in the thread somewhere, but the 70 pages looked a bit daunting...

Given that I tend to go at more or less the same pace, I've taken an average, but let me know if there is more science behind it.

Another 33km run this am.

A combination of the lost hour and excess last night meant I felt woeful going out the door. Took me 3hr 05, but happy I kept pushing on, as I was tempted to bail a few times...reminds me why I run as far away from the house before turning back.

I don't have the mental strength for laps past the front door:)

Will do a few 10kms and a 2hr run next weekend, which will wrap up the Connemara prep.

Looking forward to more time on the bike from here on in!

Another 3km in the pool at lunchtime. Managed to gain a minute somewhere along the way (67min today), with the 500mtr splits ranging from 11min 37 (3rd split) to 10min 27 (6th split).

3 people joined the lane for my last 10mins or so, and as the "chase" ramped up, I was pretty comfortable with the higher pace...however, I can't do it when I'm on my own.

Stumbled over the Band of Brothers box set over the weekend, so have a renewed interest in the turbo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

"Is there anybody .............. out there" (TM Pink Floyd)

You're a bit like me this week I'ld say - busy trying to mingle running life with family life and all of it being you're real life and keeping a written log until you get time to post (although you are prob quiet as you're on taper).

All the best for tomorrow. I hope you're not wearing that batman suit again! The heat was unreal but great today in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yes good luck Izoard tomorrow, I will try and recognise you by your chin as thats all I saw with that picture of the batsuit on.

catweazle wrote: »
    Yes good luck Izoard tomorrow, I will try and recognise you by your chin as thats all I saw with that picture of the batsuit on.

Fantastic day - I was foolishly all in black, with a token pair of white Oakelys:-)

How did you get on?

Loved the first 10km, died from 10km - Leenaun, got through the half in 1:48.

My calves were like rocks from the start and I was waiting for the inevitable cramps, but they never fully kicked in.

Shuffled up the HotW and then legged it down the other side.

3.48...my worst Conn (3.39 & 3.45), but in the heat I was happy with that.

Mrs. I did her first half...what an intro with that course and heat!

Was hanging out with Asimonov who coolly delivered a 1.24 for the half, resulting in a podium finish...legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats great running in that heat, I was going well did the 1st half in 1.56 ish, the hill on 19 caught me and i got more and more despondent as the cramps took hold and the view of the hell of the west in front of me killed me off altogether. Well done on msr I, mrs c did it as well, although she is objecting as usual as she thought she was close to a sub 2 but they gave her 2.06. I guarantee she will be emailing in complaining that the times are wrong

A "recovery" 3.25km in the pool.
    72mins had me well inside 90mins for IM distance.

Such a relief to be just using the upper body....I gave up swim kicking years ago:-)

3.8km swim!

Now that sounds good:)

Done in 1hr 26. Easy going, although I was gagging for a whizz by the end of it:D. Not sure the good burghers of Trinity would have been too impressed if I had gone on much longer...

3.8km swim!

Now that sounds good:)

Done in 1hr 26. Easy going, although I was gagging for a whizz by the end of it:D. Not sure the good burghers of Trinity would have been too impressed if I had gone on much longer...

congrats on the milestone and from my gold fish like memory thats within your target time on the day by 4 mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good running in Conn despite the heat and NICE swim benchmark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

3.8km swim!

But it would be a good way of clearing out the lane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3.48...my worst Conn (3.39 & 3.45), but in the heat I was happy with that.
    Congrats on another solid finish in tough conditions, and it was great to meet the man behind the mask. :) Very envious of your swimming talent. In 1hr 26 mins, I would expect to cover approximately 25 lengths of a 33m pool, with lots of gasping and standing up between lengths.

4km swim @ 92 mins.
    A bit miffed not to get under 90mins, but the lane was strangley quiet and if there is no one to "chase", I'm useless at pushing myself.

That is about the distance limit I plan to do, so I'm pretty sure i will take it under 90min in due course.

Last year a swim coach was recommending 6km sets, but the boredom would have killed me long before I reached that distance.

My plan is to get to the end of the swim having expended as little energy as possible and if I can do that sub 90min, all the better.

Did a 13km run yesterday @ 5min kms. Felt fine at the time, but my left calf was like a brick last night.
    Spent 30 mins going at it with the tennis ball...a few small faces were wondering if I'd completely lost it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Last year a swim coach was recommending 6km sets, but the boredom would have killed me long before I reached that distance.

6km...in a 20m pool.....300 lengths....I dont think I can count that high:) I think if you can do steady 4kms in the pool the IM swim will be no bother to you.

4km swim @ 92 mins.
    A bit miffed not to get under 90mins, but the lane was strangley quiet and if there is no one to "chase", I'm useless at pushing myself.

That is about the distance limit I plan to do, so I'm pretty sure i will take it under 90min in due course.

My plan is to get to the end of the swim having expended as little energy as possible and if I can do that sub 90min, all the better.

Did a 13km run yesterday @ 5min kms. Felt fine at the time, but my left calf was like a brick last night.
    Spent 30 mins going at it with the tennis ball...a few small faces were wondering if I'd completely lost it....

Congrats again on the swimming - as per previous post - if you're doing the distance comfortably now then it all bodes well for the trip to the UK in the summer. One possible suggestion, that may or may not be possible based on your location, is to get some lake swimming practice in during the summer months. Its unlikely you'll have to deal with waves (unless the lake in the UK is fairly large and susceptible to wind which can kick up waves) during the IM swim but getting a feel for longer distance lake swimming might be advisable.

interested wrote: »
    Congrats again on the swimming - as per previous post - if you're doing the distance comfortably now then it all bodes well for the trip to the UK in the summer. One possible suggestion, that may or may not be possible based on your location, is to get some lake swimming practice in during the summer months. Its unlikely you'll have to deal with waves (unless the lake in the UK is fairly large and susceptible to wind which can kick up waves) during the IM swim but getting a feel for longer distance lake swimming might be advisable.

Cheers. I'm down for IM Switzerland...I think Griffin has the p*ss easy task of a UK lake swim:)

You are right though..it is a pain that there is no available Irish HIM early in the season, although I'm hoping this Sperrin HIM that has just appeared, will fit the bill - 1.9km in a lough...

I have access to the sea once the summer kicks in, but lake access is an issue.

Cheers. I'm down for IM Switzerland...I think Griffin has the p*ss easy task of a UK lake swim:)

You are right though..it is a pain that there is no available Irish HIM early in the season, although I'm hoping this Sperrin HIM that has just appeared, will fit the bill - 1.9km in a lough...

I have access to the sea once the summer kicks in, but lake access is an issue.

Yeah, Id imagine its to do with safety, but getting access to a lake to swim in can be mighty hard at times.

Cheers. I'm down for IM Switzerland...I think Griffin has the p*ss easy task of a UK lake swimsmile.gif

And so it begins, the my IM is tougher than your IM debate:)

Eehh, and you're swimming in what exactly?

Your bike course looks very flat, and as for the run.........

12 Kona places for the M35-39 age group in IM Swiss, you're having a laugh, there are only 2 in IMUK. Damn, I should have done the easier, flatter course with more Kona places - with 12 places available I'm sure my 13hr time would get me in :pac::pac:

griffin100 wrote: »
    Eehh, and you're swimming in what exactly?

Epic alpine glacier swim, mountain bike (all uphill) over some mountain and a Norseman type marathon to wrap up....at least that is what it will feel like for me:)

I assume that one of the reasons that IM DE and AUS fill up so quick, is that they are seen to be flatter and lend themselves to a PB?

CH and UK seem to be on the tougher side (go on, I'll give you "UK trumps CH"...:D), and then France and Lanza are in the real "tough guy" territory.

1st day in the hills on the bike. Rathfarnham-Enniskerry-Laragh-Sally Gap-Home. 87km in a chronically slow time.

Not the toughest day out by any means, but some good climbs thrown in. Lot more work to do before the W200...

I assume that one of the reasons that IM DE and AUS fill up so quick, is that they are seen to be flatter and lend themselves to a PB?

CH and UK seem to be on the tougher side (go on, I'll give you "UK trumps CH"...biggrin.gif), and then France and Lanza are in the real "tough guy" territory.

DE and Aus full up I think because they are well run with great crowd support. I think CH is slower to fill due to the cost....as for UK....its not full as yet. UK is probably the least glamorous IM on the circuit but it worked for me - both cost and logistics wise. I agree on the Nice and Lanza, but I would like to do one of them.

I think I must be among the few who are secretly enjoying the antics of Mr. Eyjafjallajökull:)

Nearing 2 weeks "stuck" at home with no work travel...earning brownie points and getting some good hours training in!

Dusted off the single speed yesterday for the work commute, due to a broken spoke on my regular commuter bike*.

I'd forgotten the "excitement" of commuting with step in pedals...

* I have not yet used the bike-to-work tax credit so am gagging to get a new rig, but can't justify a 5th bike into the mix:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I think I must be among the few who are secretly enjoying the antics of Mr. Eyjafjallajökull:)

Nearing 2 weeks "stuck" at home with no work travel...earning brownie points and getting some good hours training in!

Would it be too corny to say that every cloud has a silver lining ;)

Advertisement