Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Effiency Gas Boiler Upgrade Costs

• 11-09-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a 28KW high efficiency gas boiler including installation as well as a heating controls upgrade - ball park figure is fine. I live in a 4 bedroom detached house with a new Attic conversion which was the real reason I need to upgrade the boiler as I now have 13 radiators running off the old 18KW boiler (10 years old). I have applied for the €700 Govt. grant. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

2.5-3k

another 1.5-2k if you need a new cylinder + pump

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Is 28 kw enough? I've no idea of the fitting but I purchased a 35 kw combi on Friday. The list price was 2,500. I could have had it delivered from England for 1,600. I phoned the Irish supplier and told him I was trying my best to buy in Ireland but the cost differential was too much. He agreed and dropped the price to 1,800 so I purchased from him that afternnon. Sorry for digression, but there is some scope with suppliers on boiler prices which I would take into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:confused: I was going to ask the same question as I have been quoted over 3K to replace my 17 yr old gas ( lpg ) boiler.It is functioning but gas bills last winter were horrendous.
    The plumber says I have to get a wall mounted condenser boiler. This will of course mean a new flue accounting for his substantial labour cost.
    Can a floor mounted boiled not be substituted for the existing boiler. ??
    I have about 16 rads in a 2000 sq feet house.
    Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

curiousj wrote: »
    Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a 28KW high efficiency gas boiler including installation as well as a heating controls upgrade - ball park figure is fine. I live in a 4 bedroom detached house with a new Attic conversion which was the real reason I need to upgrade the boiler as I now have 13 radiators running off the old 18KW boiler (10 years old). I have applied for the €700 Govt. grant. Thanks

The quote of 2.5-3K would not be far off.... but 1.5-2k for cylinder and pump??:eek:
    I wish I could charge like that!

28kw should be enough..... depends on how big the house is/room/rad/cylinder sizes. Ask your installer/s to explain how they came to that figure. If they don't want to explain how they got it.... tell them to take a hike! What boiler have they quoted for??

The other poster that mentioned a 35kw combi..... a combi will usually have a higher output than a "conventional" system boiler to give a decent hot water output!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I know a company selling High efficiency Potterton & Ravenheat boilers in Dublin and surrounding.

I am very fond of the Ravenheat. They are doing a version at the moment that actually is high efficency and recycles the heat from the flu gases to effectivly give you free hot water through a second loop.

Its also very resonably priced. pm me if you want contact details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I know a company selling High efficiency Potterton & Ravenheat boilers in Dublin and surrounding.

I am very fond of the Ravenheat. They are doing a version at the moment that actually is high efficency and recycles the heat from the flu gases to effectivly give you free hot water through a second loop.

Joey, I know the topic here is gas boilers, but do you know of any oil fired boilers that can recover heat from flue gases in the same way? Also, is there any bolt-on product which can be attached to an existing oil-fired boiler similar to Ravenheat's "Energycatcher" Product?

Thanks!

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Joey, I know the topic here is gas boilers, but do you know of any oil fired boilers that can recover heat from flue gases in the same way? Also, is there any bolt-on product which can be attached to an existing oil-fired boiler similar to Ravenheat's "Energycatcher" Product?

Thanks!

No. The energycatcher is the only product. oil boiler manufactures figured the technology was heading more towards reducing consumption than more efficency from what I heard.

The fella that created the energy catcher has trademarked the design which does not help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

No. The energycatcher is the only product. oil boiler manufactures figured the technology was heading more towards reducing consumption than more efficency from what I heard.

The fella that created the energy catcher has trademarked the design which does not help either.

That's a shame, I've often walked past my oil boiler flue spewing hot gases on a cold day and thought what a waste it is. I'd looked online and couldn't find anything - I vaguely thought it might be because the exhaust gases from an oil boiler are "dirtier" and maybe the concept wouldn't work as well with them. You'd have thought if it works for oil boilers he'd want to sell the idea for them too.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    That's a shame, I've often walked past my oil boiler flue spewing hot gases on a cold day and thought what a waste it is. I'd looked online and couldn't find anything - I vaguely thought it might be because the exhaust gases from an oil boiler are "dirtier" and maybe the concept wouldn't work as well with them. You'd have thought if it works for oil boilers he'd want to sell the idea for them too.

Believe me I met the man. He does not need the money!

Advertisement