Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Reviews on the radio

• 11-09-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Normally listen to Mark Kermode on Radio 5 for my film review fix (usually the podcast). I was off today so listened live to Dr. K and then switched over the Newstalk for the film review slot on Moncrieff.

Talk about chalk and cheese. Kermode = funny, articulate, full of knowledge and insight. Any time i listen to the film review on Moncrieff sounds like a 2nd yr scool student is scripting it, poor stuff (or it it just me??) seems little or no film knowledge required.

Can anyone recommend any other good film review slots on any stations/podcasts.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The pair from Crime Doesn't Pay (?) on Matt Coopers show are pretty rank as well. The problem with Kermode is that he sets the bar so high almost everyone else is doomed to seem ill informed and incoherent by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Cinerama on Phantom, Fridays 7-8pm.

Intelligent, witty, knowledgeable panel of reviewers - always really good fun.

Give it a try this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Stylo

Heard Deco Carty on RTE Radio 1 last night doing Cinema Reviews on the new Arts Show - wouldn't have thought it was his game, but now I type that out, it seems a bit of a silly thing to say - keep it up DC, good to hear you on the air again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Talk about chalk and cheese. Kermode = funny, articulate, full of knowledge and insight. Any time i listen to the film review on Moncrieff sounds like a 2nd yr scool student is scripting it, poor stuff (or it it just me??) seems little or no film knowledge required.

So true. Kermode/Mayo is my favourite podcast, and the only one I make a point of listening to every week. The Newstalk review is so amateurish it's embarrassing. I find this with a lot of stuff on Newstalk though. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard George Hook apologise because they played the wrong audio clip. Also their news coverage is a bit tabloidey and generally has a negative/sensationalist spin on everything. Still listen to them though, because I can't stand the 10-track-playlist of the music stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Am Am Am Ya Ya ya Am Am Am Am!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kermode and Mayo seem to be only ones who give film the time it deserves and don't cram it into a few minutes or lump it with another segment.

I used to listen to Philip Molloy on Newstalk, he was decent enough, but was regularly interrupted by Hook or ads/news/traffic. I stopped listening to Newstalk around 18 months ago so I don't know who does it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Today FM pair are from crime always pays to correct what I said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It's only the bloke on the last word who does the movie blog thing. The Lady is Tara Brady, from Hot Press.

(She may come to mind more quickly if I type it as follows :

The, aaaaaaam eh eh eh lady is, eh is, eh is is is eh Tara Tara Tara aaaaaaam Brady, from aaaaaaam Hot eh eh eh eh eh Press.
    )

Advertisement