Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possess Msc (Taught), any merit to Mphil (research) - long term lecturing career

Options
  • 11-09-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

I have a MSc in business, and am currently employed as a lecturer in a private college in dublin. However, this is paid hourly and ideally I want to develop a career as business lecturer.

I am in a position to self fund an MPhil by research on a business topic / business education topic for a year, but could not sustain myself / funding for a 3-4 Phd.

I find that all permenant lecturing positions advertised are increasingly seeking proof of research. Is there any benefit to obtaining an MPhil by research in addition to an existing masters? What is the scope for completing a research masters on topic X, and then taking that on into phd? and could i come back to topic x a few years after completing a research masters and taking it onto phd level?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mr.interested

How much money can you allocate for a research per year? If you look at the UCD's website, a cost for a PhD is a 5,200 euros per year during the first three years. Yet the forth year costs 2,600 euros, and any subsequent year 2,000 euros.

DCU offers the first three years for 4,587 euros a year, and any subsequent year costs 2,285 euros.

MLitt will take you 2 years, but if you commence a PhD then you basically pay a full-amount one year more, and fourth year costs you half the price.
    Is there any benefit to obtaining an MPhil by research in addition to an existing masters?

Personally, I don't think that a MLitt will make a difference, given that you already have a Master's Degree. Even though the former is more valued than the latter in terms of a research ability, at the end of the day it is still a Master's Degree.
    What is the scope for completing a research masters on topic X, and then taking that on into phd?

As far as I'm concerned, in UCD you usually undertake a MLitt first anyway, and if you research is successful, you then proceed to a PhD programme. (See.)

Advertisement