Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are M$ pulling the piss out of Firefox?

• 11-09-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running Windows 7 RTM and I've just got this popup. I've not had a Firefox crash and I'm running 3.5, the latest version :confused:

90540.PNG

Are M$ pulling the piss? Have they purposely done this to annoy Firefox users till they return to IE?

Comments

This came out the other day also,

Microsoft tells US retailers Linux is rubbish
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/09/ms_linux_pitch/

It will be interesting when google get in on the OS market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not having the same problem here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    not having the same problem here

Which version of Windows 7 though? Beta or Release candidate?
    I'm running the RTM version, the one thats being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

It's FUD again - Acronym for fear, uncertainty and doubt. It is a marketing term that is often used to cast a shadow over a competitor's product when your own is unable to compete. FUD is a technique used by larger companies who have a large market share. The FUD acronym was first freely defined by Gene Amdahl after he left IBM to found his own company, Amdahl Corp, with this statement: "FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that IBM sales people instill in the minds of potential customers who might be considering Amdahl products."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/09/09/microsoft-yep-we-teach-best-buy-to-trash-linux/

It's all part of the game or in other words "all's fair in love and war"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are M$ pulling the piss? Have they purposely done this to annoy Firefox users till they return to IE?

Firefox does throw out errors occasionally. This could be due to broken or malicious javascript on a site, flash/java failing or anything.

It also depends on what is triggering the message, is it as a result of Firefox writing a message to an event log?

If this popup is done in a non-annoying way, ie does not keep popping up every few seconds then I'd be in favour of it, as it might be possible to tell users that error messages that don't look like that are probably malware.
    Pity they don't provide a bit more info like a stack dump.

And is the info incorrect? Are you running firefox 3.5.3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ressem wrote: »
    And is the info incorrect? Are you running firefox 3.5.3?

Yes, I'm running 3.5.3. The only thing I can think of is that I did have a game crash which crashed windows and I think Firefox could have been opened in the background.

The conspircy theorist in me thinks otherwise.....................note to self, stop inviting Jim Corr round for tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt worry about it. Win7 RC still throws out the odd error. The one most frequently seen is the popup asking "did this software install correctly?"

Theres still a few niggly ghosts in the machine. Probably just to do with windows 7 misreading output values from programs (ie. "Return 0;" if you know your programming)

Advertisement