Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dont mean to go off topic but it's nice to see that ESPN have Europa games

nice surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thought we played really well today

Spuds started well, and the tempo with which they were playing, hastling us constantly for the first 15 mins or so, made me fear the worst (with Giggs and Scholes in midfield I thought we'd lack the pace needed).

But we dealt with it and kept on improving as the game went on.

Vidic had a shocking first half I thought, but he was a machine when he came out in the second.
    Fletcher was just a beast for the whole match, really important player for us now.
    Rooney was great.
    Berba was good, not his best though.
    The Goal Machine had a good game too, made a good few penetrating passes. Nice finish for the goal, and a classy celebration (gif's anyone?) :)

Overall very happy with today, gotta push on now for the derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p_larkin99 wrote: »

I dont think crouch is poor in the air,

:eek: For a guy his height he's brutal in the air IMO, the ball usually makes contact with him rather than the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Headshot wrote: »
    that's why we're champions

No, it's why Tottenham won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Muppet wrote: »
    :eek: For a guy his height he's brutal in the air IMO, the ball usually makes contact with him rather than the other way round.

I've seen him score more bicycle kicks than bloody headers, hes useless in the air compared to how good a guy of his height should be.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    No, it's why Tottenham won't be.

come back from behind and with only 10 men even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Back from the pub and am a happy drunken fool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

5pezd2.gif

To allow that is my point. Think, were the positions reversed would Spurs come back?

To allow that is my point. Think, were the positions reversed would Spurs come back?

this is the same spurs side that destroyed liverpool and it's there first defeat of the season

I think they'll go far this season

edit

and why are you even arguing my point, we came from behind to win with 10 men would any other top 4 team do that against a very good spurs side

I would doubt it (if i was pushed maybe chelsea)

• Advertisement

this is the same spurs side that destroyed liverpool and it's there first defeat of the season

:D But Liverpool don't set the standard :D

I agree, however the TH can do well, perhaps finish ahead of Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    +2.5 goals. Spurs to start brightly, get done by a refereeing decision and then crumble. 3-1 Utd.

Well two out of three ain't bad.

edit

and why are you even arguing my point, we came from behind to win with 10 men would any other top 4 team do that against a very good spurs side

You're missing my point. I'm not diluting what Man U did, just not prepared to say Spurs are the second coming after three games. Hull?

You're missing my point. I'm not diluting what Man U did, just not prepared to say Spurs are the second coming after three games. Hull?

oh right

but I agree with your point that they could finish in the top 4

I think they have a great squad with a great manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

we came from behind to win with 10 men would any other top 4 team do that against a very good spurs side

to be fair, ye were already 2-1 up when ye last the man, was still a good performance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

:D But Liverpool don't set the standard :D
    Pffft the only standards you'll see down there in the next while will be daubed gaudily across their jersies.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Utd destroyed us today . we didnt play well , shape of team looked bad without modric, keano aint no left mid fielder. Good start though 4 from 5 aint bad. Its the goons and pool , us and man city need to chase down... imo Chelski and Utd are streets clear of everyone else. Chelski getting to many jammy last minute winners , Hull and stoke now.thats 4 pts more!

jaykay74 wrote: »

5pezd2.gif

just have to give special praise for that gif

bloody quality :D

just have to give special praise for that gif

bloody quality :D

in fairness I nicked it from the caf. some good work though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Keep posting any more gifs you see :) Just the goal + celebration (unaltered) if ye find one ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

edit

Huh? Chelsea are more likely to do it than United.

Dave! wrote: »
    Keep posting any more gifs you see :) Just the goal + celebration (unaltered) if ye find one ;)

This may not last long as its youtube. Anderson goal...

Boggles wrote: »
    Not in the last match between the 2 if I remember correctly

so boggles what did you think of Ando today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

so boggles what did you think of Ando today ?

Vastly improved, made a few good passes and took his goal well.

Needed to impose himself more at times though.

All in all though thought he put in a good shift.

Man of the match for me was Evra, followed by Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Was much much happier with our (United's) performance today. Thought Giggs, Rooney, Scholes and Berbs were all class. Scholesy was very unlucky to get that second yellow and then Berby had to be sacrificed because of that.

I thought Spurs changed their own game plan far too much just because they were playing Man Utd, they won 4 on the bounce, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Hopfully they revert back for Chelsea next weekend and get something off them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I've deleted all the off-topic posts. If you really want to start a circular argument around next weeks game between Chelsea & Spurs wait until the match thread gets going. This isn't the place for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

You can only beat the teams put in front of you cant you, so I reckon thats a complete no point mentioning Hull.

I mean, i could mention burnley, but does anyone in the world feel that Man Utd's season is defined by a lose to them in the first few matchs of the season?

I dont think so.

I thought we were out of shape today, I think we changed our tactics too much and I dont think we played our own game I thought Utd played well, better than us, and well done to Scholes for staying on the pitch as long as he did.
    Still, there are plenty of teams who would love to have 12 points out of 15 and have played 2 top 4 sides.

Its all good. I never expect any sort of result playing utd and the ref :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Spurs were very much understrength today so I really wouldn't take so much from it. That said, some players were looking as bad as they did at the start of last season. The ref was all over the place but I really don't know what he had against Crouch =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Kold wrote: »
    Spurs were very much understrength today so I really wouldn't take so much from it. The ref was all over the place but I really don't know what he had against Crouch =/

tbh it's the same with all big target men. The amount of absolute nothing fouls given against them for no reason is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

You can only beat the teams put in front of you cant you, so I reckon thats a complete no point mentioning Hull.

I mean, i could mention burnley, but does anyone in the world feel that Man Utd's season is defined by a lose to them in the first few matchs of the season?

I dont think so.

I thought we were out of shape today, I think we changed our tactics too much and I dont think we played our own game I thought Utd played well, better than us, and well done to Scholes for staying on the pitch as long as he did.
    Still, there are plenty of teams who would love to have 12 points out of 15 and have played 2 top 4 sides.

Its all good. I never expect any sort of result playing utd and the ref :)

We'd a man unjustly sent off today. Or did you forget that bit? This lazy nonsense of United being favoured by the ref week in week out has to stop. It's not based in fact. That was proven today. I thought that the common consensus was that the ref was useless, not biased?

I am ecstatic with this win. Great performance attacking wise, and not letting an adverse situation get to us. Wonderful stuff. If we win the derby I'll be in dreamland, though given City's performance against Arsenal, we'll have to be better defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tyranax wrote: »
    We'd a man unjustly sent off today. Or did you forget that bit? This lazy nonsense of United being favoured by the ref week in week out has to stop. It's not based in fact. That was proven today. I thought that the common consensus was that the ref was useless, not biased?

I am ecstatic with this win. Great performance attacking wise, and not letting an adverse situation get to us. Wonderful stuff. If we win the derby I'll be in dreamland, though given City's performance against Arsenal, we'll have to be better defensively.

Exactly. How many times did the Ref intercept our passes for Spurs today? His positioning sense was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Woah! I'm very happy with the performance today. Plenty of very sharp individual displays and a really important result. Spurs weren't at their best today and we capitalised.

The amount of work Rooney got through was amazing. As always he was massively important for us - he dragged their back four all over the pitch and made space for the rest of our attack. And he was always a threat on the ball. Towards the end of the game it was like he had single handedly tired out their entire defence and he was still running and chasing and providing an out ball to relieve the pressure. There were two times, i think, when he failed to beat the keeper 1 on 1 (once was offside i think) and i was a bit disappointed but he got one in the end. If ever anybody deserved a goal it was Rooney today. All in all he was absolutely immense.

Berbatov looked right on top of his game to me. His hold up play and creativity was great and he worked hard too.

I thought Scholes and Anderson were very good in the first half. But after the break Anderson just seemed to fall away. His movement was terrible. It looked like he just wasn't bothering to show for the ball. I hope i'm wrong on this and i'm just being harsh on him. Still, very good first half and he finally has his goal - hopefully he pushes on. I didn't see a good replay of Scholes' second yellow so i'm not sure whether to be annoyed with him or not.

Giggs and Fletcher were both impressive. Why did we ever stop playing them out wide? :D

I don't remember Foster making a mistake today plus he pulled off a great save from Jenas.

All in all i'm very very happy with the game. Looking forward to match of the day now in five minutes, whoop

EDIT: oh yeah, Evra great work and pure class once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

was going to say something about that myself but decided against it. Tbh every losing team thinks the ref was biased in the other team's favour. It wasn't the player's fault we lost, it was that stupid ref. I do it a lot myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

We'd a man unjustly sent off today. Or did you forget that bit? T
    Wasn't unjust imo. Also Vidic should have been straight off for throwing the elbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Kold wrote: »
    Wasn't unjust imo. Also Vidic should have been straight off for throwing the elbow.

I'd disagree with you, obviously, on the sending off. Scholes pulls out, clearly, and I'd agree with Fergie when he said that he got sent off because of his reputation. Commentators chuckling about Scholes' "inability" to tackle, when it's more poor judgement, he's well able to be disciplined, and stick in a foot when standing to nick the ball away (Barca Away in the CL '08 for example, he was magnificent that night, and so intelligent in his judgement) it's just that I think he dives in too much, that whole rep works both ways. Some refs chuckle along, rightly or wrongly as the situation dictates. Others choose to clamp down, again rightly or wrongly. As for the elbow, if it's not seen, then it can't be given. Doesn't make it right. That's more of a gripe against the Big Four though, really, for me. How many times does Carragher get away with dragging people back? Or Terry? Every team has their grievances. I just hate seeing people use the ref as a stick to beat United with. There isn't a conspiracy. We get bad decisions too. United just tend to sometimes be highlighted more, and therefore watched for that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

You were 2-1 up then in fairness and were always going to do us on the counter.

Seillejet wrote: »
    You were 2-1 up then in fairness and were always going to do us on the counter.

We had one forward, we SHOULD have been pinned into our box for the remaining minutes.

Great performance by all yday, except the ref - he allowed Spurs away with far too many roughshod challenges before booking them yesterday. Scholes was unlucky but he was stupid to go sliding in when on a yellow card so I won't complain too much despite me thinking he pulled out and didn't deserve a yellow. He should know better and shouldn't have been sliding in to begin with.

Rooney was fantastic. Nuff said!

Berbatov is really trying to work harder for the team.

Giggs was FAR better than against Arsenal. Also, what a free kick! Sublime!

Fletcher is superman.

Anderson looks like he may well make it at OT yet but he has a long way to go. Great to see hims core, lets hope he kicks on.

I'm finally getting a bit of faith in Ben Foster. Finally.

Evra is one of our best attackers.

What a finish by Defoe btw. And credit to Spurs, they played really well for the 1st half hour and contributed to an exciting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i never noticed until now how poor spurs record against man utd is both home and away, something like 3 wins in 40 games in the league, spurs have lost 7 of the last 9 matches at WHL and the other two were draws

Advertisement