Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No to Nuts" - Anti-Coir campaign

Options
  • 11-09-2009 7:07pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else seen the Anti-Coir posters? I spotted a poster (attached to the post) giving one of the best reasons to vote "Yes" so far ... as a protest against Coir (apologies if it's been posted previously, but I couldn't find it in a search).

It came about thirty seconds after I had briefly entertained such an idea myself and put a smile on my face on my way home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah, it's fantastic that an important Treaty on the future of Europe is turning into a diluted mud slinging event for those on both sides.

*goes off to make some 'No to Campaign Posters' posters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The poster may make a good point but I don't think it helps the campaign. I will admit though it does amuse me to see the No campaigns tactics used against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone else seen the Anti-Coir posters? I spotted a poster (attached to the post) giving one of the best reasons to vote "Yes" so far ... as a protest against Coir (apologies if it's been posted previously, but I couldn't find it in a search).

It came about thirty seconds after I had briefly entertained such an idea myself and put a smile on my face on my way home.

So to be clear.

Voting no as a protest to the government a bad thing

Voting yes as a protest to coir a good thing

Do I have this right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

jhegarty wrote: »
    So to be clear.

Do I have this right ?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

So to be clear.

Do I have this right ?

none of the above is right of course. but its quite funny seeing the same tactics used against coir. though i wouldn't go as far as to say 'vote no to shut coir up' kind of stuff.

btw speaking of posters why arent there any of posters saying 'keep our commissioner, vote yes'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Yeah, it's fantastic that an important Treaty on the future of Europe is turning into a diluted mud slinging event for those on both sides.

*goes off to make some 'No to Campaign Posters' posters
    Like that Mitch Hedberg quote: "I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to express it".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So to be clear.

Do I have this right ?
    Nope - it's just amusing seeing their scaremongering tactics ridiculed.

It'd be pretty ridiculous to vote on the Treaty based on any of the posters that are up at the moment since they've no substance (at best), lies, or veiled threats. So one that at least amuses me takes my notice, even though it won't affect my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Nope - it's just amusing seeing their scaremongering tactics ridiculed.

yep agree :D its funny and the use of a monkey symbolic after the use of monkeys last year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mario007 wrote: »
    none of the above is right of course. but its quite funny seeing the same tactics used against coir. though i wouldn't go as far as to say 'vote no to shut coir up' kind of stuff.

btw speaking of posters why arent there any of posters saying 'keep our commissioner, vote yes'?

That's a curious one alright. Possibly the same reason the side that was telling us lisbon would streamline the commission aren't out demanding a no vote to do so as laid out in nice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I think the posters are great!! I was undecided until the Coir posters went up and they solidified my yes vote!

Does anyone know who made this new poster??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

FF are a better reason to vote No than Coir are to vote yes.

Rb wrote: »
    FF are a better reason to vote No than Coir are to vote yes.

Why would you vote No to an EU treaty because of FF?

meglome wrote: »
    Why would you vote No to an EU treaty because of FF?

sure why vote on anything to do with treaty

it worked great last time for the NO side

considering some of the people who voted no admitted they did it didnt vote on anything to do with the treaty :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Sorry isnt there another Coir thread already. What is point of this?

Sorry isnt there another Coir thread already. What is point of this?

this is an Anti Coir thread

aint it obvious?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    this is an Anti Coir thread

aint it obvious?
    And there is one up already isn't there ie Coir what is it good for?

And there is one up already isn't there ie Coir what is it good for?

the thread was started by a moderator

why don't you ask him? or bring it up to the help desk

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the thread was started by a moderator

why don't you ask him? or bring it up to the help desk
    It was started by "a" Moderator. Of which there are many.

Yup, and they break campaign rules as they do not name the organisation who paid for and distribute them. More Yes side smearing.

BTW I do not agree with Coirs claims. I just do not like it when cowardly organisations resort to dirty tactics like that.

Yup, and they break campaign rules as they do not name the organisation who paid for and distribute them. More Yes side smearing.

BTW I do not agree with Coirs claims. I just do not like it when cowardly organisations resort to dirty tactics like that.

I agree on the poster and I don't like the Yes sides posters in general.

However if you want to see cowardly organisations just look at all of the No posters. Some people seem to only see a problem when the Yes campaign resorts to sneaky tactics, when the No campaign is built on them. Very selective aren't we.

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    I agree on the poster and I don't like the Yes sides posters in general.

However if you want to see cowardly organisations just look at all of the No posters. Some people seem to only see a problem when the Yes campaign resorts to sneaky tactics, when the No campaign is built on them. Very selective aren't we.

As far as I am aware the No posters all have on the poster the name of the organisation that funded them, this nuts one does not..
    Make what you will of that but in my mind that makes them cowards, oh and there is the small matter of what they are doing is illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

As far as I am aware the No posters all have on the poster the name of the organisation that funded them, this nuts one does not..
    Make what you will of that but in my mind that makes them cowards, oh and there is the small matter of what they are doing is illegal!

isnt it obvious? its a snickers ad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

But which side are they on? The dominant word on their posters is "No".

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just like when Cóir put up their posters a couple of days early around my way.

But which side are they on? The dominant word on their posters is "No".

Thats a lie, it reads, No to Nuts Yes to Lisbon. With the Yes far more obvious than the No
    See: photo.jpg?w=225&h=300
    With tag line that goes along the line sick of nuts like coir,vote Yes to Lisbon

How you think the No is the dominant word is beyond me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thats a lie...

No. It's a joke. I hate having to explain jokes, even bad ones.

No. It's a joke. I hate having to explain jokes, even bad ones.

Pretty bad one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0914/1224254475259.html

In the Irish Times today.
    And on radio apparently.

Coir are having them taken down, and are claiming they are offensive to people with psychiatric illness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0914/1224254475259.html

In the Irish Times today.
    And on radio apparently.

Coir are having them taken down, and are claiming they are offensive to people with psychiatric illness

Can I have Coir's posters taken down? They are offensive to people with a sense of honesty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The posters, which were erected along several of the capital’s busiest thoroughfares last week, have been taken down by Dublin City Council.

Mr Greene declined to speculate as to who was behind the posters but said he believed they represented “a huge own goal for the Yes side” as they were deeply offensive to people who suffered from psychiatric illness.

He said he was concerned that Cóir posters were being taken down illegally across the country, especially in Dublin and Cork, and that the group had made a formal complaint to the Garda.

Coir don't do irony... but if they did they'd probably lie about it...

Advertisement