Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No to Nuts" - Anti-Coir campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Can I have Coir's posters taken down? They are offensive to people with a sense of honesty...

In that case you can get FF and FG's posters taken down too.

I'd love to see the lot gone actually.
    Coir don't do irony... but if they did they'd probably lie about it...

Bit of a difference between asking for the posters of a faceless smear campaign to be taken down and making a complaint that their own organisation's posters have been taken down illegally.

Coir don't do irony... but if they did they'd probably lie about it...

Coir's posters listed Coir as the group that paid for the posters. The bunch of cowards who put these anti Coirs ones did not.

Its not irony, its the law...but I wouldnt expect someone as biased as you to understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Coir's posters listed Coir as the group that paid for the posters. The bunch of cowards who put these anti Coirs ones did not.

Its not irony, its the law...but I wouldnt expect someone as biased as you to understand that.

who is to say it wasnt Coir themselves who put up these posters?

in order to generate yet more controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Coir are having them taken down, and are claiming they are offensive to people with psychiatric illness

Are they offensive to Cóir members?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    who is to say it wasnt Coir themselves who put up these posters?

in order to generate yet more controversy

LOL, one tin foil hat on its way to you!

• Advertisement

LOL, one tin foil hat on its way to you!

im just trying to get in the same mindset as Coir :D

know and understand your enemy they say ;) ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"Battle not with monsters..."

know and understand your enemy they say ;) ....

Dont worry you've been there all along, just a different side of the same coin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Coir have to make you laugh !

Offensive this, offensive that. What about the pictures of burned, and destroyed foetusus which they throw in peoples faces every Saturday on Washington Street, Eyre Square, and O Connell Street ?

What about the picketing of Family Planning Clinics, on a level of which the Phelps family would be proud.

No organisation should ever be charged with being offensive by the wingnuts, liers and freaks in Coir

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Almanac

SkepticOne wrote: »
    "Battle not with monsters..."

Don't know that quote.

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »
    Coir have to make you laugh !

Offensive this, offensive that. What about the pictures of burned, and destroyed foetusus which they throw in peoples faces every Saturday on Washington Street, Eyre Square, and O Connell Street ?

What about the picketing of Family Planning Clinics, on a level of which the Phelps family would be proud.

No organisation should ever be charged with being offensive by the wingnuts, liers and freaks in Coir
    Indeed, hence why I don't get why their posters are brought up in discussions about the dishonesty of FF and FG in their widely published posters. They're not on the same playing field whatsoever and noone should be paying attention to Coir in any way, shape or form.

Those who do pay attention to Coir are themselves not worth any attention, such as staunch pro-lifers or militant theists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed, hence why I don't get why their posters are brought up in discussions about the dishonesty of FF and FG in their widely published posters. They're not on the same playing field whatsoever and noone should be paying attention to Coir in any way, shape or form.

Those who do pay attention to Coir are themselves not worth any attention, such as staunch pro-lifers or militant theists.

Unfortunately people are paying attention to Coir...
    However, Cóir spokesman Richard Greene said: “We’ve got a huge response to our first series of posters.

“So much so that Cóir’s campaign website is now the most popular Irish website on Lisbon.

From the linked article. I know the source is slightly biased, but I've heard of 'yes' canvassers having to fight Coirs lies, so while it's easy to dismiss them and their lies when they are on the same side as you (win/win eh?) we on the other side of the room have to take them extremely seriously.

Now that Libertas have returned, Coir will be relegated. Ganely has re-entered the field at the right time. The speculation has come true, and he will get all the coverage over the next three weeks.

While I will be voting yes, and I have been campaigning for a yes vote, Im delighted that Libertas are back, as it relegates Coir to the background.

Now that Libertas have returned, Coir will be relegated. Ganely has re-entered the field at the right time. The speculation has come true, and he will get all the coverage over the next three weeks.

While I will be voting yes, and I have been campaigning for a yes vote, Im delighted that Libertas are back, as it relegates Coir to the background.

Agreed Coir are nuts! This should bring some respectability back to the No side as unfortunately Coir had been getting the majority of media coverage lately, even though they only represent a tiny fraction of the No side. I wonder why the pro Lisbon press would do such a thing??
    hmmm...ahhh yes agenda...

Agreed Coir are nuts! This should bring some respectability back to the No side as unfortunately Coir had been getting the majority of media coverage lately, even though they only represent a tiny fraction of the No side. I wonder why the pro Lisbon press would do such a thing??

that still leaves UKIP....

that still leaves UKIP....

You a provo?

Unfortunately people are paying attention to Coir...
    From the linked article. I know the source is slightly biased, but I've heard of 'yes' canvassers having to fight Coirs lies, so while it's easy to dismiss them and their lies when they are on the same side as you (win/win eh?) we on the other side of the room have to take them extremely seriously.

I'm ashamed to have an organisation like Coir in my "corner", I'd much rather they weren't. I'd much, much rather hear people say they're voting No because they're against any further integration or enlargement than "The minimum wage will be 3 yen after Lisboon" or whatever other sh1te Coir are trying to sell.

I won't say vote against Coir, as voting against any political party in itself is stupid, but if you can't find a reason that isn't one of Coirs to vote No then abstain from voting or spoil the ballot.

I guess people will pay attention to Coir, but those people are idiots. 15% support for the Fianna Fail party as of the recent poll is more than enough proof that we've a lot of idiots in this country so it's no surprise some might believe Coir.

Good point.

You a provo?

nope but thanks for reminding me about SF too (who opposed every single EU treaty including joining it)

i dont like UKIP their whole policy revolves around dismantling the EU and they have some history

and as I said their entry on the NO side makes it very hard for NO side to claim to be "Pro EU"

nope but thanks for reminding me about SF too (who opposed every single EU treaty including joining it)

i dont like UKIP their whole policy revolves around dismantling the EU and they have some history

and as I said their entry on the NO side makes it very hard for NO side to claim to be "Pro EU"

I think most of the No Sides try to qualify their statements by claiming to be "Pro Europe". However, the vast majority of the No Camp are anti EU. Virtually all have their roots in campaigning against accession, and the SEA. The likes of Sinn Fein are NOT pro EU by any standards. Equally, the People's Movement, and the National Platform are anti EU.

I think most of the No Sides try to qualify their statements by claiming to be "Pro Europe". However, the vast majority of the No Camp are anti EU. Virtually all have their roots in campaigning against accession, and the SEA. The likes of Sinn Fein are NOT pro EU by any standards. Equally, the People's Movement, and the National Platform are anti EU.
    Tbh, I'd imagine Irish people's attitudes towards the EU are similar to the UK's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Tbh, I'd imagine Irish people's attitudes towards the EU are similar to the UK's.

I wouldn't, and I wish more people calling for a 'No' vote would be as honest as you about their attitude to the EU.

The attitude of the Irish is a lot more pro EU than people in UK

as an example we decided to go with the euro instead of being pegged to the pound, and im happy we did! since counterpart responsible savers in UK got absolutely screwed by devaluation in last year

thankfully the "little englander" attitude seems rare, but the people with that attitude (Declan G im looking at thou) are very vocal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Because they have more money than any other single campaign.

They put up their posters first (before they were allowed) and put up more of them than any other group.
    They also have more, and more expensive leaflets.

Like it or not, they are leading the No side so far this time.

nope
    Well using the British as an excuse would be the kind of tactic that a provo would use..
    but thanks for reminding me about SF too (who opposed every single EU treaty including joining it)
    Yup, they are consistent, cant fault them for that. Consistently opposing giving away more power abroad.

Thats just your opinion. Anyway this isnt about the UKIP or Sinn Fein so stop dragging this off topic, never know what can happen around here when that happens!

Yup, they are consistent, cant fault them for that. Consistently opposing giving away more power abroad.

ah yes please do tell how bad the EU has been for Ireland in last few decades since we joined

please do tell ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Have a look at page 37 of this report: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb70/eb70_first_en.pdf

67% of Irish belive EU membership is a good thing, while just 32% of British (lowest of the EU-15) believe that.

When asked (page 41) if your country has benefited from the EU, 79% of Irish said yes (the highest), while just 39% of British people did (the joint lowest)

Its clear that attitudes in Ireland and Britain regarding the EU are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I've seen several people in here say they are pro-EU but when you read their posts it's quite obvious they are no such thing. I just wish that the No campaign could be honest, if they hate the EU that's fine, that is their opinion and they're entitled to it.

I wouldn't, and I wish more people calling for a 'No' vote would be as honest as you about their attitude to the EU.

Irish people are very pro-EU and the opinion polls spell that out. If only the general public knew what a bunch of total naysayers they were listening to on the No side. You'd have to wonder how many times these people can claim a set of bad things are definitely going to happen, when they have been claiming the same things since 1973 and they still haven't happened.

ah yes please do tell how bad the EU has been for Ireland in last few decades since we joined

please do tell ....

Leaping to conclusions there mate! I've never said I'm anti EU nor am I a Sinn Fein supporter. But do keep clutching at straws, its very entertaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Leaping to conclusions there mate! I've never said I'm anti EU nor am I a Sinn Fein supporter. But do keep clutching at straws, its very entertaining :)

don't blame him. we had so many hardcore anti eu people talking nonsense here, and also a lot of 'i'm pro eu but...' kind of people that its understandable if one of us looses it when he see signs of someone who might yet again come up with a lot of lies and nonsense about lisbon or the eu as a whole

• Advertisement

Mario007 wrote: »
    don't blame him. we had so many hardcore anti eu people talking nonsense here, and also a lot of 'i'm pro eu but...' kind of people that its understandable if one of us looses it when he see signs of someone who might yet again come up with a lot of lies and nonsense about lisbon or the eu as a whole

Fair enough, but it is quite reasonable to be against the Treaty based on its contents without being anti EU.

Given the Yes sides refusal to campaign on the content of the Treaty that speaks volumes to me. All you have to do is look at their posters. If it was a good deal for Ireland they would be telling us why based on the content ie vote Yes because article xyz give us 123. But they are unable to do so.

Advertisement