Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Cream Pudding

Options
  • 11-09-2009 7:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My mother's friend gave us this recipe. I've not tasted it myself, but I've made it this evening in advance of my mother's birthday bash we're having tomorrow. Apparently it's very nice. Prep time is supposed to be 30 mins and it serves ten.

Ingredients

100g granulated sugar (I used demerara this eve)
    125ml water
    4 egg yolks
    500ml cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    500g dried mixed fruit - raisins, currants, sultanas, figs, apricots, etc (soaked overnight in port/rum/sherry overnight)
    100g chopped almonds

Method

Put sugar and water into a pan. Dissolve the sugar over a gentle heat. Then boil steadily until it forms a syrup. Beat the egg yolks well, then carefully pour the syrup on to them. Continue to whisk to a thick, mousse-like mixture.

Whip the cream. Fold the cream and vanilla essence into the mousse with the fruit and nuts. Pour into a pudding bowl (or two!) and freeze.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The egg yolk and sugar syrup mixture is called "Pate a Bombe" in French, there's a great illustrated method here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heh. My mother's friend is French. Tasted this last night, it's rather nice, bit strong and rich, however.

Advertisement