Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Deise Tom wrote: »
    You are spot on, and maybe if the Irish people had any doubts about it they should not have been bullied into voting yes. I think it was rather funny that all the political parties bar Sinn Fein and The Workers Party which is a break away from Sinn Fein were looking for a yes vote. When did they all agree on something last. Its a pity that they do not agree to try and get the country back on the rails together rather than to try and steal cheap shots off each other.

What exactly would all the parties working together achieve? It won't make businesses more competitive, it won't make the Euro weaker and it won't reduce unemployment. The only time when it'd make sense for the parties to work together is if one is the head of a minority government and needs more votes to pass legislation. The difference between here and somehwere like America is that there's no division among our parties so you don't tend to see the same level of co-operation or compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

no more free education,

last time i checked

it was against the IRISH CONSTITUTION (yes it is written in their go do some research if you dont believe me, written in LAW ) to make to people vote twice on the same referendum and that the peoples vote is law and final

To spit on the history of our freedom? On the people who campaigned and fought to make ireland a free democratic country ??

where is our free ireland today?
    it is being burned to the ground
    and we shall once again stand back and watch it burn :(

If you havn't noticed, with or without Lisbon the government will bring in 3rd level fees, and there is nothing in Lisbon saying anything about the end of free 1st and 2nd level education...also, I doubt that you've ever checked out constitution, given your obvious lack of general political knowledge, have you not noticed the amount of times over the years people have been asked to vote repeatedly on referenda? Anyway, Lisbon 2 was in fact slightly different. I also hate all this hysterical "Irish freedom" bull****, Lisbon had nothing to do with our sovereignty, and all the predictions of respected economists and theorists said that if there was a no vote, Ireland would be stuck with Britain, when they vote no under the conservatives, on the fringe on the EU, which is ironic, seeing as it was this nationalist anti-British scaremongering that the no side were using.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Did you completely ignore the legally binding guarantees?

Neutrality is guaranteed under the legally binding agreements.

Lower basic wages? What?! It's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in the no campaign.

Why oh why can't we vote at 16? I know more about Lisbon than at least 20% of over 30 year olds.

But I also hate this kind of response of the yes side, just as uninformed and subjective. If you havn't noticed, those "legally binding guarantees" were never legally binding...in fact, it would be illegal in the eyes of the EU if they were binding, as for them to come into effect and change the treaty just for Ireland, it would mean all 27 countries would have to vote again. Lower basic wages also isn't ridiculous, it is a reasonable claim that although the minimum wage can't be affected, most people are above minimum wage, and could see their wages drop. So please inform yourself better before spouting these ridiculous statistics claiming you are more knowledgeable then others...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Take your lies and scaremongering elsewhere. If you have no evidence to back up what you're saying then don't bother posting completely incorrect information.

Yes, this is a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

http://examiner.ie/world/lisbon-yes-vote-may-cut-cost-of-loans-102653.html

Here you go Stev-o. Obviously this doesn't directly translate into jobs but it does improve our economic situation slightly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For any further discussion of the Lisbon Treaty and Referenda, please use the Politics Forum.

This thread will remain open for general discussion on voting, and for questions pertaining to young people voting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

http://examiner.ie/world/lisbon-yes-vote-may-cut-cost-of-loans-102653.html

Here you go Stev-o. Obviously this doesn't directly translate into jobs but it does improve our economic situation slightly.

But it's not putting people into jobs you know? Plus the key word in there is "may" not will. Look i voted no even though i was fairly disgusted with how the no Side was run nearly all the posters relating to the No vote were complete BS and ud have to be a fool to take them seriously.

@Mods rename the thread Politics and Young people, would be a more practical solution.
    However when you have the governing political party in the country making as daft slogans as "Yes for Jobs" the same slating has to be made at them. Do you follow me? If it was some crazy arse nobody's who were spreading that slogan then really we could both say they are full of nonsense but the fact its the Government raises a huge issue altogether.

@Mods: Rename the thread Politics and Young People, would be a far better solution then narrowing down on voting when there is nothing to vote on around at the moment.

Advertisement