Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tax on importing goods from the usa

• 11-09-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

hi.
    can sombody help me .
    im looking to buy 2 items on ebay which are 507€ each.it will cost me €80 to ship them.
    i would like to know how much tax i will have to pay on the goods arrival to ireland.
    thank you.:)

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TURRICAN wrote: »
    hi.
    can sombody help me .
    im looking to buy 2 items on ebay which are 507€ each.it will cost me €80 to ship them.
    i would like to know how much tax i will have to pay on the goods arrival to ireland.
    thank you.:)
    VAT is likely to be due, depending what the underlying goods are (books and children's clothing/shoes are zero-rated so there is no VAT on these). The rate would be 21.5%, and there may be an "admin" cost applied by An Post to collect the duty (not sure if yoy can arrange to pay the VAT in advance to avoid this charge). There may also be customs duties, again depending on what you have bought. There should be no additional duty or VAT on the shipping charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Beasty wrote: »
    VAT is likely to be due, depending what the underlying goods are (books and children's clothing/shoes are zero-rated so there is no VAT on these). The rate would be 21.5%, and there may be an "admin" cost applied by An Post to collect the duty (not sure if yoy can arrange to pay the VAT in advance to avoid this charge). There may also be customs duties, again depending on what you have bought. There should be no additional duty or VAT on the shipping charge

hi again.
    this is what im hoping to import....
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Denon-DN-S3700-DNS3700-3700-CD-Player-Turntable_W0QQitemZ370259116156QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDJ_Gear_Lighting?hash=item563529c07c&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

will i have to pay 3 different taxes on these?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Probably just be VAT at 21.5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Beasty wrote: »
    Probably just be VAT at 21.5%

do i pay the tax then when the goods arrive at the door ,or how does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Depends on how it is shipped and who it is shipped with. With Fed Ex and DHL I have received invoices several weeks after receiving the items. With UPS, the UPS man collected the VAT on the spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement