Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cutdog

Even if the they legalized it and didn't make a lot of money it would be better than letting the poxy gangsters have it and just spend all there ill gotten gains on themselves and go around shooting up each other and innocent people too!..........we need to educate are children about pot because choosing to ignore it doesn't help anybody only leads to bigger problems....if people were educated on it they could no how to use it responsible and when parents find there children smoking pot they need to know the signs of abuse and how to deal with it.....because a lot parents dont understand and the signs of abuse and it gos on to long undetected and its to late then in the end when there kid go's skitzo.................EDUCTION IS THE KEY..... AND LETS STOP THE CRIMNALS FROM REAPING THE PROFITS! when the government could and then reinvest the profits into researching the plant, look at Canada they give their heroin user's free gear and give them a warehouse to go do it in...instead the ignorant irish just ignore it and let them junkies go around terrorizing people and business all over the country:mad: .......... alcohol is way worse and the stats prove it......when people drink alcohol they go barking mad and there is no talking to them at all....when people smoke some pot they just chill out with no fighting, shouting or any anything that cause's stress for other people who dont drink or smoke! also people abuse alcohol and then u hear people just say ahhh he's likes a owl drink......if somebody smokes pot there called a criminal and a drug addict even if they only have the odd joint! WHAT?, this is so wrong!.... most people that smoke pot are the nicest most friendliest people ul ever meet! and will never cause any problem to others when having a smoke but think of the evil booze it cause's mayhem on a daily basis and destroys families and relationships... thats why america is legalizing it because they know they will not stop it ever so they have to step and just do it themselves it makes so much sense and it wont make any difference to the rate of people smoking it because like alcohol some people don't like the effect of drink and the same go's for pot! also with vaporizer becoming better and better the weed doesn't harm your body half as much ,no tar or carcinogens and if you can control how much u take and keep it to a weekend thing it will pose nearly no affect on ur health and well-being it may even help u with the stress of life.....peace to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

ISAW wrote: »
    If only that was the case.
    In fact if you look at these busts you find hundreds of plants involved. who grows a hundred plants for "own use".

It is the case. I can tell you that from the experience of several of my friends and what the gardai have told them, it was documented on RTE news last month that the gardai arrested 380 people for small "home grows" last year.
    These people provide nothing to the black market and don't pay criminals for anything yet the lawmakers of the country haven't yet realised the big bag of cash there to be taken in taxes. so you are saying that all the people growing it now and not paying tax whether criminal or not will suddenly decide to pay tax on it?

Not everyone, as is the case with Car Tax, TV License, income tax etc... But I think the majority would rather pay the tax than risk being arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    But I think the majority would rather pay the tax than risk being arrested.

Its not so common but it does happen, its called bribery I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Fairly interesting BBC 3 documentary on tonight which explained how organised crime is dealing cannabis and people buying it are buying into murder, slavery, etc.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcthree/2011/01/james-alexandrou-on-filming-cannabis-whats-the-harm.shtml

It was basically a documentary showing the harms of prohibition. almost everything was because of the illegality of the plant.

I only saw part 2 though, but 'Martin' didn't ask any difficult questions did he?

This was also on television (cnbc) last night. it was actually quite good.

This is quite interesting too, Mr nice talking to Professor David Nutt recently.

http://current.com/groups/videos/92822690_howard-marks-interviews-david-nutt.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Liberal Front Ireland want to legalise marijuana as part of an economic recovery. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

What do you mean by "never claimed shifting the burden of proof shouldn't be"?

Following from what we were talking about (things requiring reasons to be banned), what I was saying was that I never claimed that marijuana should be legalized.
    You can't argue "the Dail made something illegal for the wrong reasons"

Could you supply the portion of my post that you are quoting?
    and based on that argue for making cannabis legal

Not arguing for this.
    yu would have to supply to show why it was wrongly made illegal in the first place.

The justification for this illegality must be defined before it can be shown to be wrong. Otherwise, as I have said, any argument against it is an argument against a null predicate, and is hence an argument from ignorance.
    Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity

I am not multiplying entities. I am trying to get you to delineate one, before another can logically have any coherent content.
    Occam's razor suggests that you do waay with the complication of adding in needless stages and dealing with the issue.

This is exactly what I have been attempting to do. If the justificatory basis for the illegality of cannabis is contextually poor or non existent, then this saves us the needless task of having to invalidate it.
    Suppose for example you claim aliens seeded the Earth with humans and life didn't just begin on on a planet like Earth . But where did the aliens come from ? they were seeded on their planet by other aliens and so on through a chain of alien races. Even if true since it is sufficient we can get rid of the chain and go back to the first alien race in it. Now they had to begin on their planet so why not just even do away with that and think it reasonable to assume if it could happen on their planet that it could happen here on Earth and do away with the necessity of all these aliens?

Please do not furnish me with figurative nonsense. I am perfectly comfortable and proficient with the abstract and I do not enjoy having to decrypt the apperceptive concomitants of your metaphorical objects.
    In the end you still have to show why it should be legal whether or not it is was made illegal for the wrong reasons.

No, it isn't. To do so would be to ask me to attack a null predicate, and these attacks would necessarily be from ignorance.
    Asking others to justify illegality is shifting the burden!

Yes, it is. And rightly the burden is shifted.

You are aware that shifting the burden of proof is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in an argument, right?
    i am not saying "Murder is wrong" or "Fraud is wrong" and concluding there fore we should make cannabis illegal. That would be a straw man.

Yeah, you are substituting cannabis with child molestation and prostitution instead of murder and fraud.
    I am saying the general case is being advanced : X is enjoyable therefore x shold be made legal.

I don't care about the general case, please deal with my case.
    Wrong! Shifting the burden! I never put this case! the case made was

1. Cannabis should be legalised because people enjopy it and because we might make tax money.

Yes, you did formulate the case as such. You said
    ISAW wrote:
    Thee are probably plenty of reasons but that is the case - they are illegal...It isn't up to me to show why they are illegal.

You gave no reasons (this being the evidence here). You put the case such that the illegality of cannabis is currently the case, and that is the position of default until proof otherwise is supplied.

Furthermore, the fact that such a law exists is evidence that the case must be made to change it!

How exactly?

and the basis of your general argument is "all laws have to have been justified" isn't sound.

Fixed that for you in bold.

Yes, it is. My argument concerns the effective progression of argument. Unjustified presumption supplies a null predicate. Arguments against null predicates are necessarily ignorant, making logical refutation impossible=> predicates have to be justified in order for arguments to progress effectively.

Follows.
    Laws exist against murder rape etc and we dont have to justify them every day.

I said nothing about having to justify things every day. STRAW MAN
    Natural laws exist like the law of gravity.

Natural laws are not equivalent to man made laws. They deal with fundamentally different epistemic objects. STRAW MAN
    You dont go into a theatre and take out measuring instruments and measure the stress and strains and dimensions of the seat and ask for the engineering diagrams of it before yu sit down. You trust the design went through tests and the chair will support your weight.

Material stress can be held to an quantifiable empirical standard, and so can concomitant laws regarding material quality control=> objective

Laws regarding moral status (your mention of hedonism is interesting here) and health risk are subject to consensus regarding moral convention and the threshold of risk allowed for individuals for themselves and those around them=> subjective.

The two do not equate. STRAW MAN

My argument isnt solely based on that but as I have just shown it is reasonable to believe laws are there for sound reasons.

This is not a discourse on intuition. This is a discourse on logic. It is not logical to assume that all laws exist for good reasons. History has shown this presumption to be rubbish, in any case.
    It is for the person making the original claim to support it and not for the others to "prove a negative"

"Original claim" goes beyond the scope of this argument and thread, as I have shown. Also, you have still not justified your invocation of negative proof in this case.

No it isn't! Yes the US laws came in as result of a campaign by an American who wanted to control newspapers.
    Here is the UK history
    http://www.idmu.co.uk/historical.htm

The point you are quoting comes as a result of the three preceding points. All 4 of these come directly from the definition of "argument from ignorance" that you copy-pasted at me.
    It is a free country and you are free to make legislators aware of the history and to try to convince them to change the law. Just telling them that their predecessors made a mistake isn't good enough.

How exactly is this a free country if I have to lobby for referendum whenever the whim takes a legislator to pass whatever law they see fit?
    No! It isn't a "balanced argument" ! if you want the law repealed you have to provide the evidence.

Yes, it is. I have already shown how this is the case (null predicates, ignorance etc.). Simply saying it won't make it true xD
    I am not assking you to argue against anything!

Yes, you are. Here:
    ISAW wrote:
    if you want the law repealed you have to provide the evidence.

Implicit null predicate, for the reasons I have already gone into.
    I am asking you to provide support for the predicate that cannabis ( or anything else) should be legalised because it is enjoyable for some people.

I made no such claim. straw man...
    The law may have come in for dubious reasons but justified on the basis that it had been debated since inception and changed if and whan that was deemed necessary.

Similarly, things which are manifestly harmful beyond imagination and have not been made illegal are justifiedly legal because a discourse on the matter exists. This is, of course, nonsense.
    If you are in a count of law you will not get very far telling the judge that he has to justify the basis of the law.

This is a pointless contribution to the discussion. I am not in court. I am in a thread on boards.ie.

So a new drug should not have to be tested and chemical companies should be allowed to distribute them willy nilly until some harmful effect is proven?

No, new drugs should be subject to testing with reference to existing guidelines and available drugs. Doing this with cannabis makes a bad case for continuing illegality, considering the scope of categorically legal substances which are considered permissible currently.

Not necessarily one might assume some things like drugs for example are harmful and other things not harmful. It isn't necessarily a case of either allow everything or disallow everything.

We are not talking about "one", we are talking about categorical determinants for legislative bodies.

Indeed by I am not suggesting that everything be denied to people until each in turn is proven not to be harmful so that is a straw man.

In this case you are. I am taking your basis for doing so, and taking a consequentialist route with it in order to demonstrate its absurdity. I am doing so blatantly, and without supposition. There is no straw man.
    By the way i have shown the harmful effects of cannabis as well.

True. You have not effectively argued that this constitutes a basis for law though.
    And finally I never stated I believe it should be illegal.

I never said you did either. Again, concomitant to the approach of arguing as such.
    I didn't make any claim about legalising cannabis or not!

I never said you did. "If you claim that X should be ¬Y, then it is not necessary to define Y."

X=> Cannabis
    Y=> Predicated legal status
    Well we do regulate cheese production and it is banned from being sold without compliance.

The terms of compliance with regard to these substances do not equate in light of the supposed risk inherent to both.

Making something legal on the other hand allows it to become culturally acceptable and difficult to ban again once made legal.

Could you please provide evidence to support your claim regarding the causative link between cultural normativism and legal status.
    But like putting a tax on prostitution there are people who believe it should not be encouraged at all taxed or not just as drug taking should not be encouraged.

We are not talking about prostitution. "Drug taking" is not a homogenized category of conduct. Legislation allows drug taking in the form of alcohol and nicotine consumption. Where are these moralizing legislators that you put stock in?
    So you hold the people of Ireland in contempt?

No.
    Not necessarily. Gun control came in because of the Civil War and war of Independence.. We don't argue for gun laws today to be repealed because the IRA has disarmed.

What does that have to do with anything?
    No because I didn't claim the law was just or unjust.

Arguing that the case against illegality needs justification requires you presume that the law for illegality is just.
    Others claim it is unjust. I ask then to provide evidence that it is unjust.

You must first explain how it is just. They can't claim it is unjust until evidence has been given to establish it as just.

'others claim X is ¬Y. I ask then to provide evidence that X is ¬Y'.

This is impossible until Y has been defined, and successfully applied to X by way of argument.
    Saying that I should have to prove laws are just before that is just silly!

Saying it doesn't make it true :)
    although i may if I wish and have posted counter evidence. Teh burden is on them to prove cannabis is acceptable and safe.

What criteria determine "acceptable" and "safe"?
    But in any case I did refer to jurisprudence and that we have a system of laws and it has a reasonable basis.

No, you didn't. Even in this paragraph you have actively and vociferously avoided this aspect of the discourse!
    I don't have to prove the reasonableness of every law

True. You only have to do so when you elect to use specific laws as basis for an argument.
    You changed the premise (what premise?) Try this:

Mr A : Cannabis is enjoyable therefore it should be legalized.
    Mr B : Rape is enjoyable too
    Mr A : Rape is manifestly harmful to the victim
    Mr B : That is changing from you original premise enjoyment. So if cannabis is harmfull you think it should be illegal?

Mr. A : No, it isn't. I was pointing out that fact that the thing that you equated with cannabis is fundamentally different in its concomitant effect, and implicitly elucidating on the scope in which enjoyment can be used as a justificatory basis. Stop being such a tedious pedant if you are so bad with details, Mr. B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ordinarywoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogluk4VjPiM

Rep. Jared Polis spoke against the legislation that would further escalate the failed war on marijuana, in U.S.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    It is the case. I can tell you that from the experience of several of my friends and what the gardai have told them, it was documented on RTE news last month that the gardai arrested 380 people for small "home grows" last year.

Im sorry but "a friend of a friend was told by a garda" isnt much a basis for argument.

Have you got any official stats?
    WHAT RTE news story carried this?
    Not everyone, as is the case with Car Tax, TV License, income tax etc... But I think the majority would rather pay the tax than risk being arrested.

But that isn't what is being argued. what is being argued is legalisation will do away with criminality. It won't!

But that isn't what is being argued. what is being argued is legalisation will do away with criminality. It won't!

But it will reduce it ;)

Following from what we were talking about (things requiring reasons to be banned), what I was saying was that I never claimed that marijuana should be legalized.

Title of topic= Cannabis should be legalised

Could you supply the portion of my post that you are quoting?

Just click on the ">" symbol above and follow thm back and you will not I am replying to a post which in the second sentence says that which you seem not to notice.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70196804&postcount=910
    message 915 referring to 910 referring to 905
    The justification for this illegality must be defined before it can be shown to be wrong.

It is the law! Are you going to say you have to test all the laws of physics before you sit down in case one of them does not work and the chair collapses?
    Otherwise, as I have said, any argument against it is an argument against a null predicate, and is hence an argument from ignorance.

We don't have to prove why each and every law is justified. If you go into a court and say "My TV licence says that it should be a certain price but I think that I have not been shown why this is justified so I think Ill just pay €5 for it" you wont get very far with that argument.
    I am not multiplying entities. I am trying to get you to delineate one, before another can logically have any coherent content.

You are demanding I show why the law prohibiting cannabis is just. You are saying that if I don't show that then no one can logically argue against it. I dont have to justify the law. And even if the law is false one CAN logically argue based on it.
    A valid argument can be based on a false premise. It won't be sound but it will be valid.
    This is exactly what I have been attempting to do. If the justificatory basis for the illegality of cannabis is contextually poor or non existent, then this saves us the needless task of having to invalidate it.

While you may argue that ilegallity of cannabis is logically unsound that is for you to show and not for me to do so!
    Please do not furnish me with figurative nonsense. I am perfectly comfortable and proficient with the abstract and I do not enjoy having to decrypt the apperceptive concomitants of your metaphorical objects.

It is not figurative nonsense. It is called Occam's Razor.
    No, it isn't. To do so would be to ask me to attack a null predicate, and these attacks would necessarily be from ignorance.

While you may argue that illegality of cannabis is logically unsound that is for you to show and not for me to do so! It may well be that the law was made illegally or unfairly. It isnt for me to prove it was no more then it is for me to prove stress and strain equations before stepping on a train or crossing a bridge.
    Yes, it is. And rightly the burden is shifted.

You are aware that shifting the burden of proof is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in an argument, right?

No It isn't! If you claim something it is for you to support it! I dint claim the law was right or wrong. Other people claimed it should be changed. It is for them ( ie YOU) to supply their support for their claim.
    Yeah, you are substituting cannabis with child molestation and prostitution instead of murder and fraud.

Where did I claim cannabis is wrong because fraud murder child molestation or anything else is wrong?

Where did I?
    I don't care about the general case, please deal with my case.

I am showing you that what is true for the general can apply to the sdpecific and not the other way around!

Even if your case does apply it may not be true in general, If it is true in general ALL specific cases are true.

Yes, you did formulate the case as such. You said

As part of a sub argument. The THREAD is about the illegal being made legal.
    You gave no reasons (this being the evidence here). You put the case such that the illegality of cannabis is currently the case, and that is the position of default until proof otherwise is supplied.

Yes. Just as the law of gravity is the case until people show something wrong with it.

How exactly?

The accepted paradigm is the accepted paradigm e.g. Newtonian Mechanics.

I said nothing about having to justify things every day. STRAW MAN

You claim a law such as making cannabis illegal has to be justified.
    People accept that that law exists and is just but you insist it has to be justified.If it is justified once then it is justified every day.
    People accept it has been justified and dont need to go into the nitty gritty of how those laws came to be. they are accepted by society as binding.
    Natural laws are not equivalent to man made laws. They deal with fundamentally different epistemic objects. STRAW MAN

Not necessarily man made laws e.g. child abuse is always wrong or abortion on demand is always wrong may be founded in natural laws.
    Material stress can be held to an quantifiable empirical standard, and so can concomitant laws regarding material quality control=> objective

Empirical standards to do with gravity cant be measured as yet e.g. gravitons , Higges particles, yet are assumed to exist. Objective empiricism isn't the only paradigm in current science.
    Laws regarding moral status (your mention of hedonism is interesting here) and health risk are subject to consensus regarding moral convention and the threshold of risk allowed for individuals for themselves and those around them=> subjective.

Not all moral laws are necessarily subjective. Do you for example believe that sex between and adult ( say of sound mind and over 30) and a child ( of say under six) can ever be acceptable?
    The two do not equate. STRAW MAN

Your teo premises are not proven they are assumptions. You aregue I have to prove my premise but i dont since it is the case that cannabis is illegal.

It is not necessarily the case that moral laws are all subjective or that material laws are all empirically verifiable.

"Original claim" goes beyond the scope of this argument and thread, as I have shown.

No! Quite simply the claim is cannabis shold be legalises.

It isn't for me to show why cannabis laws are just or not.

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »
    But it will reduce it ;)

Maybe. But if you made tobacco legal for children would it reduce illegal tobacco?

Maybe. But if you made tobacco legal for children would it reduce illegal tobacco?
    Thats a slightly nonsensical argument.

Children are not big purveyors of the black market as far as I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

his arguments have been fairly nonsensical for quite a few pages now

here is a straight forward question and requires only a straightforward answer

forgetting any individual state or nation

Should a person who is afflicted by a condition, through no fault of their own, have access to any and all substances that are necessary to alleviate the suffering caused by that condition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I asked this a few pages back but only got a few muddled answers so I thought I'd try again...is there any mainstream Irish political party that has officially stated they are in favour of legalising, de criminalising or legalising for medical purposes the usage of cannabis??

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TL;DR - did anybody conclude that this would actually pull Ireland out of Recession, aside from the other Social Controversies?

thought not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ordinarywoman

I asked this a few pages back but only got a few muddled answers so I thought I'd try again...is there any mainstream Irish political party that has officially stated they are in favour of legalising, de criminalising or legalising for medical purposes the usage of cannabis??

No, none of them have had the balls to put it in their mandates that i've noticed....am sure if it had there would've been a few calls to liveline about it. Luke Flanagan ,Independant running in Roscommon area has been a long time advocate of cannabis regulation, Mary Harney was supposed to be considering allowing medicinal use...link quoted a few pages back.
    Am sure i have read something about Sinn Fein having a more progressive attitudes towards cannabis, and it would fit in quite well in to 'agri-sector'.
    I have seen Leo Vadakar, FG, speaking in regards to the head shop/soft drugs issue that for monitary reasons they should be better regulated,instead of shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

All drugs should be legalised and I am not in favour of drug use per se.

The cost of policing the areas were gangland type problems have arisen because drugs are illegally is phenomenal - but is drug use illegal because it wrong, or is it wrong because it is illegal. If it was legal would it cost society less both economically and ethically - yes.

Poverty and despair are at the root of most problematic drug use and it is only by addressing these underlying causes that significantly decreases the number of problematic users.

If cannabis was legal, people could grow their own, pushers would not be need for this drug.

If drugs were legal we wouldn't need to criminalise the user or the seller - no one ends up with a criminal record which is the biggest problem with cannabis - it allows some of the citizens to be unneseccarily labelled criminals and possible improsined , this then can have terrible consequences which are not equaitable, not just but rather immoral and unethical.

The market for drugs is demand-led and thousands of people demand illegal drugs however the quality of the substance they take and the negative health effects they endure because of this can cost them and society millions of euro. Also prohibition has led to the stigmatisation and marginalisation of drug users.

Enforce quaility standards on all drugs - this is bad needed and could be an idea for a new and innovative industry in Ireland - we are after all looiking for jobs in the pharmacuetical industry - this would definitely hepl get us out of recession :)

All drugs should be legalised and I am not in favour of drug use per se.

The cost of policing the areas were gangland type problems have arisen because drugs are illegally is phenomenal - but is drug use illegal because it wrong, or is it wrong because it is illegal. If it was legal would it cost society less both economically and ethically - yes.

Poverty and despair are at the root of most problematic drug use and it is only by addressing these underlying causes that significantly decreases the number of problematic users.

If cannabis was legal, people could grow their own, pushers would not be need for this drug.

If drugs were legal we wouldn't need to criminalise the user or the seller - no one ends up with a criminal record which is the biggest problem with cannabis - it allows some of the citizens to be unneseccarily labelled criminals and possible improsined , this then can have terrible consequences which are not equaitable, not just but rather immoral and unethical.

The market for drugs is demand-led and thousands of people demand illegal drugs however the quality of the substance they take and the negative health effects they endure because of this can cost them and society millions of euro. Also prohibition has led to the stigmatisation and marginalisation of drug users.

Enforce quaility standards on all drugs - this is bad needed and could be an idea for a new and innovative industry in Ireland - we are after all looiking for jobs in the pharmacuetical industry - this would definitely hepl get us out of recession :)

Friendly warning, you're going to have to back up those claims, or rephrase them as "your opinion"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

Sure wont that result in rise in crimnal acitivites?

Sure wont that result in rise in crimnal acitivites?

I'm really unsure whether you're a wind up merchant or what, but that would be the whole point of decriminalisation and legalisation

the clue is in the name...

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    his arguments have been fairly nonsensical for quite a few pages now

here is a straight forward question and requires only a straightforward answer

forgetting any individual state or nation

Should a person who is afflicted by a condition, through no fault of their own, have access to any and all substances that are necessary to alleviate the suffering caused by that condition?

An affliction like a nervoos tick caused by not being able to do something illegal such as abuse children - NO

An affliction like MS - maybe

I would say yes if the medicine is tried and tested and the side effects know . If not you are into a Thalidomide senario which was to alleviate the suffering caused by the condition of pregnancy.

Assuming Cannabis is tried and teated then you are making an argument for limited and controlled medicanal use and not for recreational use.

It is a bit like saying that because some doctors perform abortions under limited circumstances that that is the same as having abortion on demand - it isn't!

Medical cannabis is a different use of a drug and that is not what most of the pro cannabis lobby have being arguing for in this thread.

Where did I ever say there should be no medical use of cannabis?

You said: Legalising cannabis will reduce black market cannabis

I say: Legalising tobacco i.e. unrestricted use of it a without controls e.g. allowing children to buy tobacco and removing the illegality of that might not reduce the black market in tobacco

Making something legal or relaxing control on it whether it be cannabis or tobacco may not reduce or remove illegal tobacco or cannabis.

How is that nonsensical?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

An affliction like a nervoos tick caused by not being able to do something illegal such as abuse children - NO

An affliction like MS - maybe

I would say yes if the medicine is tried and tested and the side effects know . If not you are into a Thalidomide senario which was to alleviate the suffering caused by the condition of pregnancy.

Assuming Cannabis is tried and teated then you are making an argument for limited and controlled medicanal use and not for recreational use.

It is a bit like saying that because some doctors perform abortions under limited circumstances that that is the same as having abortion on demand - it isn't!

Medical cannabis is a different use of a drug and that is not what most of the pro cannabis lobby have being arguing for in this thread.

Where did I ever say there should be no medical use of cannabis?

you didnt but i asked it repeatedly in the thread and never got an answer

i want it to be completely legal and controlled in much the same way as alcohol or tobacco, however, i feel the medicinal use is far far more important in the grand scheme of things. ignorance and prejudice among a certain generation should not be allowed to force suffering on innocent people.

the tests have been done, the side affects are known, doctors should be allowed to prescribe marijuana to patients if they deem it necessary. pharmaceuticals companies dont need to be involved or if they are patients shouldnt be forced to have to use their product. they should have the choice between buying the cannibinoid pill from the pharmaceutical company or buying a more natural version from a dispensary or growing their own.

then when those laws are in place we should start worrying about recreational use.

in the mean time ill be living in the states, enjoying their open attitudes :p

Very good question. I'm not against such measures and would be in favour of supporting such or similar and am going to be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Dob74 wrote: »
    To say cannabis is competely harmless is rediculuce.
    While its probably at the same level as alcohol as health goes.
    Having more people stoned isnt going to get us out of the recession.

What is this word?? I guess it's something red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 newtadis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Friendly warning, you're going to have to back up those claims, or rephrase them as "your opinion":)

No problem.

The leading Irish progressive criminologist Dr. Paul O’Mahony research and analysis in The Irish War on Drugs: The Seductive Folly of Prohibition deals with these issues, not in an emotive way but in a factual way.

The Lancet the world's leading general medical journal recently published a peer reveiwed study which found that and I quote "Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than heroin or crack cocaine.

Scientists have found that alcohol is the most harmful drug overall and three times as harmful as cocaine and tobacco, according to a new scale of drug harm that rates the damage to both users and to wider society.

Ecstasy is only an eighth as harmful as alcohol, according to the new analysis, led by the controversial sacked government drugs adviser David Nutt with colleagues from the breakaway Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs.

The study says that if drugs were classified on the basis of the harm they do, alcohol would be class A, alongside heroin and crack cocaine."

One of the main authors of the study Prof Nutt noted that the biggest problem with cannabis use is the criminal record that users gain.

I try not to comment on subjects I haven't researched;)

Thank you for that, Can you provide links?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Is anyone seperating this debate into the two seperate directions of:

1. Legalization for medical use (ie tablet, spray or powder form) for pain relief
    2. Legalization for recreational use (sold in plant/bud/leaf form)

I think both are very different discussions and require very different approaches.

Option 1 gives the product to those that really need it and would beneift from it the most, without damaging their bodies as the method they use is safe (ingestion) They don't have to go near a dealer and can happily medicate themselves wherever they want.

Option 2 which is basically recreational use, does cause your body harm unless you also ingest it, smoking it in any form is going to harm your body so therefore its not something the the medical community are going to be able to properly support. Therefore I cannot see it being legaized like that. Ever. Period.

All the studies and cases etc that I read here are for the legalisation for purely medical reasons, everyone knows alcohol and tobacco cause more harm but they're socially acceptable (though smoking is becoming less) and have been legal for years hence the general population are happy with things, I see nothing that would warrant a lawmaker to decide to suddenly legaise a potentially hamfull product, no matter its benefits or good points theyre simply not going to legalise something that could harm your body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

i dont smoke me self just watched a few videos and just came back from amsterdam ,, there is no Recession in that place and they recon it will be the last 1 to fall ,, u should see the amount of stuff going on plus the billions of euros it brings in from just tourism alone ,,, see none of you fellas never watched the video i was talking about

So you are just back from the crime capital of Europe. Since Holland leagalised nearly everything crime soared there. They have all the major criminals and gangs and rapists there and you think it would be good do do the same here. GOOD MAN

Advertisement