Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Paulie Walnuts

Overheal wrote: »
    Im again, going to reiterate, that 99% of this thread has nothing to do with the topic of whether or not - even in perfect social circumstances - legalizing and taxing marijuana sale would pull the economy out of recession. Which, it can't. I even go so far as to challenge whether it would show up as a whole-number percentage on the GDP.

All this other social-discussion BS? It's becoming the Bible, Creationism and Prophecy thread of Politics. Cyclical. Inconclusive. Pointless.

Sorreeee! A whole number percentage, are you serious? So you're saying that for it to be worthwhile, the newly formed hypothetical cannabis industry would need to be worth over 1.3 billion per year to make the idea worthwhile!!! Agriculture "only" brings in 5% of our GDP and you're suggesting that to make legalising justified, just one plant should be able to bring in 20% of all the others combined!!! Remembering that the agriculture sector with its 5% of GDP gets grants & subsidies to help it along (1.5 billion in 2008), the potential cannabis industry would be completely organic (in more ways than one).

http://farmsubsidy.org/IE/
    http://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/gdp_composition_by_sector.html

Let's do some maths. If 3% of the adult population (approx 3,164,488m...3% of this leaves 94,934) who smoke weed regularly...

http://www.nacd.ie/news/launch_event07102005.html

....and who spend €50 per week on the drug (reasonable to assume) for 52 weeks a year would bring in €246,828,400 or just under quarter of a billion. That's just the from income from Irish stoners (these are conservative estimates by the way).

Add to that the floods of tourists that would fly into Ireland every weekend and stay in local hotels, eat in local restaurants (and boy do stoners eat), buy Irish weed and all the other spin off benefits that come with hoards of tourists. Add to this the savings that could be made by not enforcing current cannabis laws and dragging otherwise law abiding people through the courts. It might not add up to a paltry 1.3 billion euro but I'll refer you to the case of Beggars vs Choosers and let you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Cosimo Salvatore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

There are some very stupid and irresponsible statements being made by both sides of this argument. It really bugs me when stoners claim there is nothing at all wrong wth smoking weed all day every day. There is, I've tried it, I pretty much wasted about 8 years of my life doing it.

Also, I can't stand it when people who have never tried weed make statements about cannabis. People who are so badly informed that they lump cannabis and weed in with cocaine and heroin. "Feckin jail the lot of dem drug addicts" they say. Ireland has one of the most draconian (god i hate that word) drug policies in Europe. Most European countries either allow a person to grow a plant or allow possession of small amount and you don't see those countries descending into anarchy do you?

Of course there can be some negative effects of excessive cannabis use (but damn it there are negative effects of doing ANYTHING to excess, even exercise or masturbating, try making that illegal!) but the fact is that it is a relatively harmless drug when done in moderation.

*"Ah but it's a gateway drug" i hear you self righteous cavemen say. Perhaps, but the only reason it could ever be considered a gateway drug is precisely because it is illegal. When I want some weed (i couldn't give a sh**e if its illegal) I go and meet "Johnny the Drug Dealer" (not his real name) who also happens to be selling ecstasy, coke etc. Some people will be tempted to sample the other items on the menu. If weed were legalised I would go to a coffeeshop type establishment (a la in Holland) and buy my stuff from a businessman who pays tax to the government, no risk involved.

Finally, I would agree with the idea that some people are not suited to smoking. A minority of people who may already be predisposed to mental health problems and who smoke cannabis may find that smoking brings these mental health problems to the fore faster. Simple solution, if you find that this happens...don't smoke any more.

actually Brussles have estimated anywhere from €35,000,000,000 divided between the member states if drugs as a whole were legalised across the eu.

"The hearing considered the financial implications of decriminalisation of drugs and regulation of cannabis for public expenditure. Based on an extrapolation on data provided by the EMCDDA the total amount that could be generated by a combination of measures could be estimated between 35 and 60 billion euro/year, or between 70 and 120 euro/year for each of the 500 million people who reside in the European Union."

http://encod.org/info/EU-READY-TO-END-DRUG-PROHIBITION.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4cffe5ad708c21f2%2C0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Sounds like bullsh*t because I know the effects of crack cocaine and heroin.

This is my problem, I really don't care what general damage it does to society I just want to know what effect it will have on me if I take it.

Oh well then, the acutal study of the effects don't matter then.

And that is why the study focused not only on society but also the user.

Its not that I think drugs are 'good' and should therefore be legal, however there is a problem with the status quo, specifically but not solely because their is not standards to be met, so no one knows what these drugs are being cut with. We need to get real and face the fact that people take all types of drugs and prohibition is not helping anyone, because we aren't providing the real service that are needed to deal with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭sirgockster

Everybody knows the pros and cons to smoking cannabis so I wont get into it but I was talking to a politician a while back who smokes it and I know him pretty well and I asked him about cannabis been legalised and he came out and said very bluntly that the government wld lose to much money, Tobacco and Alcohol is legal cause its highly taxed, If cannabis was made legal they wld lose out cause it wld allow people to grow it them selfs, Its alot easier to grow a cannabis plant than to make tobacco or alcohol and also as everyone might understand when you smoke a few joints it cuts down on you smoking and drinking alot also and you will spend alot less on drink and tobacco So the reason it wont be legal is because its down to money nothing more nothing less

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

I don't believe you are stupid enough to really believe that.

Argument C compared to Argument A:

No one is harmed in A but the person who chooses to take cannabis.

In C a child is molested. The paedo might enjoy it but no child likes being abused.

Unless you retract that ridiculous argument you can't expect to be taken seriously in anything else you say on the topic. Furthermore I'd imagine that argument is pretty offensive to victims of child abuse.

Hmmm. Try this.

http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf

page 76
    To illustrate, suppose they had gotten the following syllogism:
    All fish live in the sea.
    Sharks live in the sea..
    Therefore, sharks are fish.
    The conclusion does not follow, but high RWAs would be more likely to say the
    reasoning is correct than most people would. If you ask them why it seems right, they
    would likely tell you, “Because sharks are fish.” In other words, they thought the
    reasoning was sound because they agreed with the last statement. If the conclusion is
    right, they figure, then the reasoning must have been right. Or to put it another way,
    they don’t “get it” that the reasoning matters--especially on a reasoning test.

I'm arguing abut the logic and reasoning involved here.

PeakOutput wrote: »
    iv already proved that their crime rate is so low they have to close prisons so how about instead of making troll like statements you back them up with a some references?

Where did you prove that? I believe I took you up on that claim before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

OP, how will legalizing a product which can't be exported bring income and employment to a country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

nitrogen wrote: »
    OP, how will legalizing a product which can't be exported bring income and employment to a country?

Ever heard of a greenhouse and the current internal demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cutdog

you don't have to send it out of the country the people will come to it E.G tourism! witch will as u know will help all things to do with it E.G hotels,airport tickets, restaurants n merchandize and so on so fort............
    ...................................:D also i heard that Holland's pot smoking figures are lower than germany and england! there's one for uz it confirms that eduction and legalizion make a nice difference but im not sure about the irish we cant seem ever to know when enough is enough hence the amount of booze we consume on a weekly basis, i think pot would be out of control but it defo would bag some serious income ireland is really suited for it but the people are not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

it could be exported soon enough, the eu gave member states permission to make up their own drug laws from now on, lots have already anyway, open your eyes and step slowly into the 21st century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Static Jak

Is cannabis going to help the economy that much? No idea tbh.
    But should it be legalized? Sure. Honestly, if we have the likes of alcohol and cigarettes, both of which can cause a lot more harm, then I don't see why the people can't be given the choice in this day and age. This isn't cocaine or heroine we're talking about here which I here brought up so much in arguments like these over the years. Another argument I see sprout up every now and again is the idea we'd all go to work stoned, which is ridiculous. If that's the case we should ban alcohol in case people go in to work drunk. I know more than a few smokers who have good jobs, are responsible people and smoke cannabis in their own time.
    Moderation, just like with anything, is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Static Jak wrote: »
    Is cannabis going to help the economy that much? No idea tbh.

I think so. Maybe not huge but definitely some benefits. Top three:

Taxes on the products
    Jobs working in the places that sell it
    Tourism from the UK(Perhaps we should only allow it south of Dublin so Nordies spend more of their cash here:D)
    Freed-up police/court time. Perhaps a small saving on overtime, even if not at least their hours will be put to better use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The Black Pearl

I think so. Maybe not huge but definitely some benefits. Top three:

Taxes on the products
    Jobs working in the places that sell it
    Tourism from the UK(Perhaps we should only allow it south of Dublin so Nordies spend more of their cash here:D)
    Freed-up police/court time. Perhaps a small saving on overtime, even if not at least their hours will be put to better use

Fast food operators and the Bean Bag shop would make a killing aswell :D

Ever heard of a greenhouse and the current internal demand?

How does creating an environment for the plant to grow relate to bringing money into the county... Internal demand, again, you're thinking inside the bubble.

I reckon your reply was intended for a different poster.

cutdog wrote: »
    you don't have to send it out of the country the people will come to it E.G tourism! witch will as u know will help all things to do with it E.G hotels,airport tickets, restaurants n merchandize and so on so fort............
    ...................................:D also i heard that Holland's pot smoking figures are lower than germany and england! there's one for uz it confirms that eduction and legalizion make a nice difference but im not sure about the irish we cant seem ever to know when enough is enough hence the amount of booze we consume on a weekly basis, i think pot would be out of control but it defo would bag some serious income ireland is really suited for it but the people are not!

I wasn't thinking about it from this aspect. Good point.

cutdog wrote: »
    also i heard that Holland's pot smoking figures are lower than germany and england! there's one for uz it confirms that eduction and legalizion make a nice difference but im not sure about the irish we cant seem ever to know when enough is enough hence the amount of booze we consume on a weekly basis, i think pot would be out of control but it defo would bag some serious income ireland is really suited for it but the people are not!

Nah people would get bored of it. It doesn't fit in with the irish culture of getting drunk for social interaction and dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are we living in the same country? Everyone likes a smoke (the relevant kind) + drink, even the nonsmokers. Smoking the herb IS part of Irish culture, silent majority tbh.

It's only a matter of time before common sense prevails both here and abroad. You busybodies will have to find something else to rail against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ladies and gentlemen, your new taoiseach.

Highest Rated youtube Comment
    "What a dickhead"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Can't access youtube, what did gormley/gilmore/adams say?

gormley basically said he would decriminalise possession the rest are all against it

once again even though i disagree with what he says gerry adams is easily the best speaker

micheal martin is uninformed about holland suprise suprise and enda kenny gave a 5 second answer just saying no.

they are all form the old guard generation though it will be 10-15 years before we have politicians who hold the same views as current 10-35 yr olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Cannabis should be legal because it is a VICTIMLESS "crime". The state is there to protect our rights. It is not there to tell us how to live our own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

After reading the question they were asked I can say that Gormley gave by far the most educated answer, Gilmore was a disgrace. He was asked specifically about Cannabis and the question included that there would be less police resources wasted etc. etc.

and he goes on rambling about drugs. Not mentioning the specific he was asked or actually answering the question properly.

There needs to be political reform anyway, because currently the politicial parties are just flooded with selfish *****....and not even necessarily smart selfish c***s but thick c***s too.

Edit:

Here's the question:
    "Will your party commit to leagalising and taxing cannabis for personal use, thereby generating a significant new source of tax revenues, saving Gardai and court resources, and allowing access to those with a medical need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Princeton = America = American spellings such as "color", "legalized", "lazer" etc.

European English = "colour", "legalised", "laser", etc

so is it Light Amplification by Zimulated Emission of Radiation in America then:p

PeakOutput wrote: »
    g
    micheal martin is uninformed about holland suprise suprise ...
    they are all form the old guard generation though it will be 10-15 years before we have politicians who hold the same views as current 10-35 yr olds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062202015_pf.html
    In cities across the Netherlands, mayors and town councils are closing down shops where marijuana is sold, rolled and smoked. Municipalities are shuttering the brothels where prostitutes have been allowed to ply their trade legally. Parliament is considering a ban on the sale of hallucinogenic "magic mushroom
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands#Recent_developments
    By 2009, 27 coffee shops selling cannabis in Rotterdam, all within 200 meters from schools, must close down. This is nearly half of the coffee shops that currently operate within its municipality.
    Closing of coffeeshops is not unique for Rotterdam. Many other towns have done the same in the last 10 years.

In 2008, the municipality of Utrecht imposed a Zero Tolerance Policy to all events like the big dance party Trance Energy held in Jaarbeurs. However, such zero-tolerance policy at dance parties are now becoming common in the Netherlands and are even stricter in cities like Arnhem.

The two towns Roosendaal and Bergen op Zoom announced in October 2008 that they would start closing all coffee shops, each week visited by up to 25000 French and Belgian drug tourists, with closures beginning in February 2009

ISAW wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...202015_pf.html

Quote:
    In cities across the Netherlands, mayors and town councils are closing down shops where marijuana is sold, rolled and smoked. Municipalities are shuttering the brothels where prostitutes have been allowed to ply their trade legally. Parliament is considering a ban on the sale of hallucinogenic "magic mushroom

A four year old article FFS :rolleyes: Things didn't pan out that way. Here's an article from 2 weeks ago
    Its receiving major opposition and won't go through. The big places like Amsterdam/Eindhoven/Utrecht/The Hague are telling them to get f*cked.
    http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2011/02/eindhoven_joins_opposition_to.phpEindhoven joins opposition to cannabis pass system
    Wednesday 09 February 2011

Eindhoven city council has come out against government plans to introduce a registration for cannabis users to make sure tourists are kept out of ‘coffee shops’ where small quantities of soft drugs are sold.

Den Bosch and Maastricht city councils have already voted against the plan and the four big cities of Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht have also pledged to campaign against it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_po...t_developments

Quote:
    By 2009, 27 coffee shops selling cannabis in Rotterdam, all within 200 meters from schools, must close down. This is nearly half of the coffee shops that currently operate within its municipality.
    Closing of coffeeshops is not unique for Rotterdam. Many other towns have done the same in the last 10 years.

In 2008, the municipality of Utrecht imposed a Zero Tolerance Policy to all events like the big dance party Trance Energy held in Jaarbeurs. However, such zero-tolerance policy at dance parties are now becoming common in the Netherlands and are even stricter in cities like Arnhem.

The two towns Roosendaal and Bergen op Zoom announced in October 2008 that they would start closing all coffee shops, each week visited by up to 25000 French and Belgian drug tourists, with closures beginning in February 2009

Lol who the f*ck would go to a trance energy(its an all night rave) smoking weed.

Basically all this hype is coming from border towns getting stuck with drug tourism. Thankfully there's a proper local government system here so there's no way its gonna be banned or restricted everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

If one looks into it of course they will soon realize that the reason why the Dutch government now have to take a few steps back is because they didn't take enough steps foward in the first place. If Cannabis was legal in Holland then the coffee shops would not have to source product from cladestine growers who are now starting to shoot each other because gosh it's an unregulated market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ordinarywoman

Cannabis Science Extracts Kill Cancer Cells In Cancer Patients Being Treated Through Its Licensed Distributor Rockbrook

February 22, 2011

DENVER--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Cannabis Science, Inc. (OTCBB:CBIS.ob - News) a pioneering U.S. biotech company developing pharmaceutical cannabis (marijuana derivative) products, is pleased to announce that numerous patients are reporting that Cannabis Science extract treatments are killing cancer cells. Cannabis Science, in conjunction with Rockbrook, its Colorado-licensed dispensary, consulted with a variety of cancer patients who were seeking to inform themselves of the current peer reviewed scientific literature, regarding the historical use of cannabis to treat "tumors”. Unlike most conventional cancer treatments, cannabis has an outstanding safety profile, and patients in states with medical marijuana laws are able to make an informed decision to legally try various cannabis preparations to determine what is most effective for their particular condition.

Some of these scientifically informed patients have chosen to self-administer Cannabis Science extracts supplied by Rockbrook to treat their own cancers. Cannabis Science is delighted that patients are reporting dramatic improvements in their conditions, including basal cell carcinoma, non-small cell lung cancer accompanied by COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), ovarian cancer, and glioma.

Please visit www.cannabisscience.com to view the “Breaking News” of the successful results and images of the self-administered cancer treatments.

For example, a patient with basal cell carcinoma used a topical formulation to dramatically and rapidly eliminate her obvious skin cancer. Meanwhile, patients with internal tumors used oral formulations for their treatment. We currently await more complete clinical evaluations of the patients’ own reports of dramatic health improvements coincident with tumor shrinkage and disappearance.

Dr. Robert J. Melamede, the CEO and President of Cannabis Science Inc., stated, "We will pursue and acquire intra-state generated data to make these cancer medicines available to the public at large as rapidly as possible. To accomplish this goal, we will seek accelerated FDA approval. We are on the verge of a revolution in medicine. Cannabis is now returning to modern medicine for all the right reasons. State generated results give us a unique ability to acquire scientific and clinical data for cannabis-based cancer treatments. As previously announced, we will use our new laboratory facility to house analytical instrumentation, tissue culture, clean rooms and additional necessary equipment. This facility will meet or exceed all federal, state, and local requirements to allow for the necessary for FDA clinical trials.”

Cannabis Science expects to hold a press conference soon to formally announce its cancer formulation progress and future plans for cancer treatments. Brand names for our new cancer treatment drugs are currently being vetted through the company attorney for future commercial use.

About Cannabis Science, Inc.

Cannabis Science, Inc. is at the forefront of pharmaceutical grade medical marijuana research and development. The Company works with world authorities on phytocannabinoid science targeting critical illnesses, and adheres to scientific methodologies to develop, produce and commercialize phytocannabinoid-based pharmaceutical products. In sum, we are dedicated to the creation of cannabis-based medicines, both with and without psychoactive properties, to treat disease and the symptoms of disease, as well as for general health maintenance.

Forward Looking Statements; This Press Release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934. A statement containing works such as "anticipate," "seek," intend," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "project," "plan," or similar phrases may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Some or all of the events or results anticipated by these forward-looking statements may not occur. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include the future U.S. and global economies, the impact of competition, and the Company's reliance on existing regulations regarding the use and development of cannabis-based drugs. Cannabis Science, Inc. does not undertake any duty nor does it intend to update the results of these forward-looking statements.

Cannabis Science Inc.
    Dr. Robert J. Melamede
    President & CEO
    info@cannabisscience.com
    www.cannabisscience.com
    1-888-889-0888

Mark J. Friedman
    Investor Relations
    info@cannabisscience.com
    www.cannabisscience.com
    1-877-431-CBIS (2247)

Next >

http://www.cannabiss...ncer-cells.html

here's the link to the poster at cannabisscience.com which includes pics of a basal cell carcinoma after 10 days of cannabis therapy!!!
    http://www.cannabiss...tract_kills.pdf

and the leaders of our country so easily say no...without asking 'we the people'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mickmon111

I agree..

Advertisement