Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduates and the Lisbon treaty

• 11-09-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Am throwing this out there to see what ye think...

Considering the depressing, frustrating, and non-existent jobs market for graduates at the moment do you think the organisations that represent us, I'm thinking students unions, should lobby us, students and graduates, to vote no to Lisbon?

I would always intend voting yes as I have read the arguments and it seems like its a good thing for Europe and Ireland. However, other interest groups (IFA, ICTU) have previously told their members to vote no (Lisbon I) until some of their concerns, both domestic and European, have been met. Perhaps we should do the same.

We, students and graduates, are a very large interest group and have been hit particularly hard by this recession with plenty of us out of work. We are also being told we are the foundations on which Ireland's economy will be rebuilt. Yet, I am one of hundreds who graduated this week in U.C.C. with bleak prospects.

Perhaps the government should be told we are going to vote no until we are taken seriously and steps are taken to make it easier for us to enter the jobs market.

Opinions welcome....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

You shouldn't base your vote on the actions of the government. The members of this Fianna Fáil government will be dead and gone and our children will have to deal with the repercussions of this referendum. I'm voting yes. A no vote will make Ireland seem like a pariah state at the periphery of Europe. There's many other reasons i'm voting yes but this is one of them. If the no side prevails again i'm leaving this country. The fallout will be disastrous, especially for recent graduates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I don't think holding the country to ransom until you get what you want is a good idea. One of the downfalls of democracy, even gob****e's get to vote.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Spideog, good point, but less insults plz.

I agree with the above. We cant force them to sway it just to suit our needs, there are lot of people in Ireland facing a tough time and there is no such thing as a crowd pleaser or an easy solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Sorry just a flippant comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

Advertisement