Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Scratcher....

Options
  • 11-09-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Ok I have two separate problems that i can't get my head around. One is with a Dell Laptop, the other an Advent Netbook. Both are running Windows XP.
    The other day I was called around to my computer-illiterate neighbour's house because they couldn't connect to the router. It was a simple problem, somebody had changed the password and it was an easy fix (they just didn't know how to do it).

However, for some reason, the Netbook will not connect to the router! It can see the network, will accept the password and will attempt to connect for ages but it never will. I have tried connecting the netbook to my own router at home, (both with a WPA key and with it disabled) but to no avail!! I don't get how this can work one day and not the next, anywho, i logged on to windows update, found it's missing a few(read:17) high-priotiy updates, so they're installing as i write this.
    EDIT:
    Let all the updates dowanload and when I had returned to restart the Netook, it was connected to my router! Here's hoping it will work on theres now as well :rolleyes:

The Laptop, is a funny one! It connects to the internet - Once you tell windows to manage the network settings! Every time the Laptop is started up, The Wireless Zero Configuration service has to be started every time the laptop is turned on! Even when it's set to "automatic", it won't start on it's own. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Again, this worked fine before.

Cheers guys,

U.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

cant help you im afraid, but i want to watch this thread as my xp pc intermittently stops connecting and WZeroC has to be restarted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    cant help you im afraid, but i want to watch this thread as my xp pc intermittently stops connecting and WZeroC has to be restarted too.
    Have a look here, at the second post: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t5839-wireless-zero-configuration-service-not-starting-up.html

I've yet to see if that fix the laptop because I can't log in to it at the moment.

What services Wireless Zero Configuration needs to function properly:

* NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol
    * Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

check these services and make sure they are running also.

Good luck.

-Sam

my Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was on, but the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) -LOCATOR was set to manual. i changed to auto.

also, i dont have NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol at all?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

my Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was on, but the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) -LOCATOR was set to manual. i changed to auto.

also, i dont have NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol at all?????

Did that fix it for you then??

• Advertisement

Did that fix it for you then??
    so far, yes. any luck your side?

so far, yes. any luck your side?

Nope! Both the RPN's are set to auto, and are started. But the wirelss zero configuration keeps not starting when the laptop is shut down/ restarted.

I reckon if i change the settings to keep attemping to start the wireless zero configuration when it fails, it might do it!

Advertisement