Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In game copy protection

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=16224

I like this :D

Arma 2 has its called FADE , weird things happen and your aim goes off.

Eidos had it in that steampunk game they released a while ago, cant remember the name of it. But some ledges were inpossible to grab onto with the crack.

In fairness it will be "fixed" by warez groups but at least it takes a few days to find the "bugs". They could also be releasing the cracks themselves to make this happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It's good in theory, but people who rip/crack these games already through a lot to get the games uploaded to the internet and working again. I can't imagine it'd take a lot longer to get around any deliberate glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Crackers and Hackers can still leave negative reviews as well. When word gets misconstrued that the game is "Full of unplayable glitches" that game is going to fail by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Overheal wrote: »
    Crackers and Hackers can still leave negative reviews as well. When word gets misconstrued that the game is "Full of unplayable glitches" that game is going to fail by design.

ehh who reads www.haxorz.com for reviews? Crackers dont play the games they want to be 1st to release an NFO and hope its not nuked.

Damnation was the other game had a ledge in it you couldnt grab with a certain crack.

its an interesting idea that could not stop piracy but slow it down till the release date of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I think it is a very interesting idea. You are never going to stop hackers (they're determined to get everything for free, and they will) so the best you can probably do is slow them down and give them a bit of a headache. This is a good solution, as it irritates the piracy crowd, while having no impact on genuine buyers, which is a more welcome temporary solution than complex, restrictive copy protection which hurts everyone.

As said, 'pirates' (yarr etc...) will crack it eventually, but they crack DRM too, so better to give them a headache than everyone else. Fairly imaginative problem to a far too wide spread problem IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

It's already been hacked. Somebody on DailyTech mentioned some dude just uploaded a save file after the part where you need to glide. Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

dreamers75 wrote: »
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=16224

I like this :D

Arma 2 has its called FADE , weird things happen and your aim goes off.

Eidos had it in that steampunk game they released a while ago, cant remember the name of it. But some ledges were inpossible to grab onto with the crack.

In fairness it will be "fixed" by warez groups but at least it takes a few days to find the "bugs". They could also be releasing the cracks themselves to make this happen.

FADE isnt new but it is a bitch of a thing to go up against, try playing some of the convoy raid missions in a cracked op flash multiplayer game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hasn't that "glitch" been cracked by now :rolleyes::rolleyes: making it fully working?, not to be encouraging piracy, but why do game companies feel the need to release the pc version of games months after, not much sympathy for them because of this, :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

So are we for or against pirates?

In regards to yoyo ehh batman came out on all formats pretty much in the same week. Did piracy not teach you anything ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.

awesome reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Tbh, copy protection..

Really, it's simple..

KILL the batman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So are we for or against pirates?

In regards to yoyo ehh batman came out on all formats pretty much in the same week. Did piracy not teach you anything ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Arkham_Asylum

Don't think so m8, I've found the usual is a month between console and pc games these days, why I don't know, thats what I was making a point about :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If I recall, Operation Flashpoint had a FADE system whereby they deliberately built in a memory leak. I thought that was quite ingenious.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I remember some game on the Atari ST had something similar. Can't for the life of me remember though. Might have been Starglider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I'd love to see them adapt something like that for the Football Manager games. Pirate it and your best players keep getting injured, you always lose crucial games and you can never win a league. Well, anything would be better than the online activation debacle for last year's edition.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

im downloading something anything after seeing that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It's a terrible idea in my opinion. For such a system to be effective, it has to be deeply embedded in the source code which means its going to affect performance. If I've bought the game, why should I have to put up with that?

The best anti-piracy device in my opinion is something like Steam where you have to be logged in. Single player games are fairly screwed though :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

ever try playing crysis warhead with a cracked exe
    this happens,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIXgi9qWzu8
    I laughed my ass off, scratched my head for a bit and then bought the game.
    it worked on me

Advertisement