Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT DCU course

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey there!
    Just wondering did anyone do the hpat training course in dcu last year? Did you think it was worthwhile or did you get anything from it? I know technically you can't study or do courses for the hpat and the best thing to do is just buy the papers and practice but I'd still like to get some feedback on this course please!!!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catchifucan

swatch wrote: »
    Hey there!
    Just wondering did anyone do the hpat training course in dcu last year? Did you think it was worthwhile or did you get anything from it? I know technically you can't study or do courses for the hpat and the best thing to do is just buy the papers and practice but I'd still like to get some feedback on this course please!!!

Thanks in advance :)

I'm just after booking it there for this year. Hopefully it'll be worthwhile. Once you sign up you've got access to 10 practice papers, loads of "Drills" ( Whatever they are :confused:) and then a load of other stuff that claims to be helpful. It is preeeettty pricey though... I'm getting the group discount because I'm doing it with a friend, but it still killed me to put in that credit card number :eek:.

Another option is the course in The Institute, which I'm sure you're familiar with. A word of warning: as a student of The Institute, I've heard from numerous sources that it's a bit of a sham. A total money-spinner. Well, I suppose that goes without saying for most of these HPAT courses soo what can ya do.. Good luck anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Hi, I'm interested in studying medicine and this sounds interesting could you post a link to the DCU course please ?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

Hey :)

Here' the link to the DCU **** site www.****.edu.au/

It was held in dcu last year but this year it's going to be held in griffith college in dublin! Looks good, just really want to hear from someone who has actually done it before I book it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Just before anyone books any prep course for the hpat I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

A relation of mine is a psychologist and she was telling me that it is nigh on impossible to increase your score in an aptitude test such as the hpat with only a few prep courses over preparing yourself at home with the practice booklet.
    Short if spending years improving your logical reasoning you cannot do anything other than control nerves and perfect timing.
    So just to say that these courses are mostly a money spinner.

I did the hpat last year without any preparation other than the practice booklet which I looked at twice and did quite well. I'd save your money, but then I can't back any of this up with readily available facts. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

To be honest I agree with HQvhs - it's hard to increase your score on an aptitude test, the only way to do it is practicing the past papers to familiarise yourself with the sort of questions.

I could be wrong though, maybe someone did one of the courses and found it useful.

But if the Institute one's a money-spinner I'd say the same is likely for the DCU one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just for accuracy and fairness ... this doesn't look like a DCU sponsored course ... more like an outside organisation hiring rooms in DCU to deliver it.

If it's in Griffith this year, that would make that even more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I know a guy who did 2 prep courses this year. TWO.
    He got in the 0-30th %tile range AFAIK, or very low in any case.

I didn't do this, and yet I got Trinners.

*shrugs*
    Just practice 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cookiimonster

Practice helps for section one or three because you get faster at finding the info and get a knack for the style, practice doesn't make much difference to section 2. Either way you hit a plateau after a while and thats it for you. Courses are a waste of time in my opinion because one day or even a week will make absolutly noooo difference just practice every day thats all... you can get umat pratice booklets cuz hpats new...they're pretty much the same thing.
    thats what I think anyway :) practicinmg helps timing nd nerves too...

Advertisement