Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That EU Directive about 2 year warranty

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

can someone please clarify this for me?
    I am about to sell something I've had for about 9 months and would be great if when selling it I can say that it's got 15 months left on it's warranty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

can someone please clarify this for me?
    I am about to sell something I've had for about 9 months and would be great if when selling it I can say that it's got 15 months left on it's warranty
    when you buy something there is a contract between you and the retailer, when the item is sold on to someone else there is no longer a contract with the retailer. the only recourse available to the new purchaser would be the manufacturer warranty unless they stipulate their warranty only covers the original purchaser.

the new buyer has no statutory rights, but may have the remaining period of a manufacturer guarantee/warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

The 2 year directive was not implemented here because our statutory laws provide greater protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Elessar wrote: »
    The 2 year directive was not implemented here because our statutory laws provide greater protection.
    but because you are selling the item on the buyer has no statutory rights regarding the item unless you were prepared to give a personal guarantee and stand over the item.

this link describes it much better
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/secondhand-goods.html

Advertisement