Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help......Oak panels

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hello
    I'm wondering can anyone help me...I'm looking for some nice american white oak in 1" or 1 1/2" x 15" wide.I need two @ 24" long and two @ 48" long. Looking for some nice flame grain as its for panels for a door.
    I'm in Kilkenny....(the land of four in a row)
    I don't mind traveling to get some nice timber.
    Thanks in advance
    Ron

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

ive only ever seen 15" hardwoods 2" thick. you would be better off going to a joinery shop and they can join inch for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Well cork1
    I dont want to have a joint in it as the door is being finished in clear varnish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

cork1 wrote: »
    ive only ever seen 15" hardwoods 2" thick. you would be better off going to a joinery shop and they can join inch for you.

I 2nd that, just taken a look at some off the hardwood offcuts I get from a big industrial carpentry shop and all the 15inch pieces are all at least 2inch thick - will make some nice platters on the lathe one day;)

You also have me wondering if you'll get a decent "figure" in American White Oak? I always think of it as being quite a plain timber compared to English Oak, but then perhaps I'm mixing up Japanese and American Oak.

Thinking about it a bit more I guess it might not be "figure" you are looking for (from quater sawn boards). Flame I guess is a different term that might be what you get when you are cutting slightly across the grain (in through and through cut boards) so you get long flames of end grain showing across the surface rather than straight grain?

How about getting a couple of decent looking lengths of 2inch think timber 8-9inch wide and cutting that in half to make two 1 inch thick "match boards" and jointing them so you have a mirror image of the figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

ronboy wrote: »
    Well cork1
    I dont want to have a joint in it as the door is being finished in clear varnish.

if its done properly and the the colourings kept the same you shouldnt see the joint

Thats easy enough to do if you have a straight grain. But the joint is easy to be seen with the kind of boards i'm looking for:)

• Advertisement

I think I'll just do what ttm said and book match them. I wanted a full width panel but it will be as good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ballymore79

I've just put down fresh red deal pine flooring. I'm trying to decide whether to stain it and then varnish as I want it a darker colour. Does red-deal naturally darken over time or if I put a clear varnish on it will the varnish cause it to darken over time or will it keep it's colour regardless. Thanks.

Advertisement