Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog starting to pee inside

Options
  • 11-09-2009 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Our ten month old shih tzu who was fully house trained has started to pee inside since he began cocking his leg about a month ago...what do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

U have to catch him doing it and bring him outside everytime. He will cop on that he's not meant to go in the house. Also you can get some spray stuff for your furniture that will put him off going there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Is he doing a full pee or is he scent marking?

Is he neutered - un-neutered males will start to scent mark their territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

FAYESY wrote: »
    Is he doing a full pee or is he scent marking?

Is he neutered - un-neutered males will start to scent mark their territory.

No he's not neutered yet, do you think I should get him done asap? He's 10 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

If he was my dog he would have been neutered at 6 months - I would neuter & then after a month see if the peeing stops - it takes a while for the testosterone to leave his system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

If he's only 10 months and its only a little coming out then it does sound llike hes reached adulecence and is starting to scent mark more.
    Has anything changed recently in the house that could cause stress or conflict such as a new dog/cat/baby or furniture moved around or even a new dog next door could do it?
    If its ongoing it might be worth checking with a vet that he hasn't a bladder/kidney infection or something similar that might be causing discomfort.
    For now anyways go back to basics on housetraining, bring him outside every hour or so, after every meal/playtime, first thing in the morning, last thing at night, wait until he pees then reward him with either praise or treats.
    If its scent marking, neutering may help, it won't be an outright cure but it may reduce the urge to scent mark as much, neutered dogs still scent mark and as somebody said it will take around a month for testosterone levels to settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

misssaucie wrote: »
    No he's not neutered yet, do you think I should get him done asap? He's 10 months.

Yes! 10 months is a good time to get them done. Anything over 6 months is good for the boys to get their bits off ;)

If he is cocking the leg on everything he is peeing on then it is very likely to be marking as opposed to peeing for the need to pee. His pees smell will change too, it'll smell like hormones (kind of like cat spray). If he has a kidney infection, he will be peeing an awful lot and may not be conscious of it all the time (peeing without making any motions to pee). If you are worried about this at all, bring a pee sample to the vet and they will be able to tell you outright. He could be acting out a bit (as "teen" dogs can do) by peeing in the house to see how far he can puch the boundries. Make sure he knows that it is not on. Males that are neutered make better house pets than those that are not and neutering protects them from certain illnesses (spacifically, prostate problems in older years). It would probably be best for you and the dog to get him done. Good luck! :)

Advertisement