Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy McCarthy's WONDERCHILD, Meaning?

Options
  • 11-09-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

have been searching the net and cant find song meanings for "Wonderchild" and "Katie". Can anybody help with the meaning of either song?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Hi, I know this is a dead topic but its well worth a response.

Jimmy MacCarthy is a diverse songwriter, as in his songs are written in a way that they can have many different meanings and mean something different to everyone.

Wonder Child for me, is what it says in the title. Its about a child that has a natural gift. He may grow up to be an astronaut "flying over the universe" or "this child will be a violin".

So in a way anyone could think about a young one they know while listening to the song. It doesn't have to be your son or daughter it could be your neice7nephew or whoever you want it to be.

Katie was originally titled "The Room" and Jimmy wrote it while he was abroad. To me its about a young spirit who one may wish to come "running home again". It may be about a girlfriend Jimmy had in the past called "Katie" or it may be about a dear friend who brought something truly special to his life "come running home again".

Interpret the songs however way you want. I have my own meanings for each of his songs and that to me is as valuable as anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just found Jimmy's book Ride On in Song and Story

Wonder Child
    Jimmy was approached to write a song and a piece of music for a promotional video being made by Sally-Ann O'Reilly to raise awareness for an awe inspring walk to be undertaken by Dr John Scully who planned to walk coast to coast across America.

Katie
    "The chorus subject matter was borrowed from the lifescape of another person but the sentiment was perfect and seemed to complete the song".
    He talks about images of Newgrange for inspiration for the last verse.

To be honest his notes are more complex than his lyrics.

If you want you can borrow the book and read it and analyse it yourself.

Advertisement