Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 13th team for the F1 grid in 2010 is....

• 11-09-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78484

While the three teams now up for the spot are BMW Sauber, Lotus and Epsilon Euskadi, it is a damn shame that Lola aren't getting a look in.

What criteria are these guys meeting? How do the FIA choose the team?

New team to be annouced shortly after this weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Looks like Lotus have gotten BMWs position on the grid for nexy year

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5560410,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

think you linked the wrong story

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5560540,00.html

pity to see sauber go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78648

....Lotus! But BMW might be granted a spot also pending discussions with other teams!?

edit: sorry...didn't spot the other thread on this topic.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Lola were never going to be picked because they weren't using Cosworth engines.

This all goes back to the FIA's rule changes for 2010 and the aftermath that ensued.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

It says that the FIA are trying to change the rules to allow a 28 car grid. It would be cool if they went back to the old system where 28 cars would try to qualify for 26 places on the grid Do you think it could ever happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

matty55 wrote: »
    It says that the FIA are trying to change the rules to allow a 28 car grid. It would be cool if they went back to the old system where 28 cars would try to qualify for 26 places on the grid Do you think it could ever happen?

I don't think it would be that cool tbh, the team who consistently fail to qualify will be gone pretty quick, and that's not good for anyone.

might be a bit messy with 14 teams, 40% more cars? I guess if the space is there it would be okay, and it would be good to have some more independent teams.

I guess if they do allow as many teams as possible, if one or two drop out, or renault decide to leave they'll still have a full grid

Hopefully the engines will be divided up sort of equally

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Great to see Lotus back in, Colin Chapman and Lotus probably changed the face of F1 more than any person in the history of F1. The Lotus 25 in my opinion is the best looking F1 car of all time.

*Merged the two threads*

It's really only the Lotus name. Lotus cars have even distanced themselved from it.

Sauber have been given the 14th spot apparently. 28 cars on the grid next year it seems.

might be a bit messy with 14 teams, 40% more cars? I guess if the space is there it would be okay, and it would be good to have some more independent teams.

I guess if they do allow as many teams as possible, if one or two drop out, or renault decide to leave they'll still have a full grid

Hopefully the engines will be divided up sort of equally

There were 14 cars on the grid in 1995 which was the last time I think.

The grid didn't seem to be over crowded then. Nascar has about 40 cars in the field ffs!!

I only hope we won't have 8 mobile chicanes trundling around driven by rich paying drivers like Ricardo Rosset and Taki Inoue.

Nascar has races with 43 cars on a 1200m long track, and they're untalented hicks but manage to get along just fine. :P

I thought the current Lotus bid had backing from the Malaysians? Or was that the previous one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I guess BMW/Sauber/? weren't going to use Cosworth engines, stinks to be honest.

I don't see how this Malaysian backed Lotus has anything to do with Lotus of old, after next year:
    The cars will be made in Malaysia, by Malaysians.

Will they have enough time to set up a team and build a car?

Presumably a 14th team will have to be agreed by all the current teams.

The more cares the better provided there not limited in who can supply them engines

BMW sold!
    http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090915133946.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mike Gascoyne will be the technical director. Always felt he did a great job at Jordan.

I suppose a potential 14 teams means there's no chance of teams running 3 cars next year, as has also been suggested.

1st qualifying in monaco with 28 cars... will be tight enough, a bit of rain and it should be great fun :D

Mike Gascoyne will be the technical director. Always felt he did a great job at Jordan.

I suppose a potential 14 teams means there's no chance of teams running 3 cars next year, as has also been suggested.

There was no chance anyway only Ferrari wanted this.

Are BMW in reserve in case Renault pull out after the WMSC herring? and if they don't FIA will push for BMW inclusion anyway?
    I guess Toyota could pull out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I guess Toyota could pull out too.

As could USF1, if rumours are to be believed (they're behind schedule and, quite ominously, Peter Windsor was back doing the post race press conference on Sunday). It's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that Renault, Toyota and USF1 could be absent in 2010. Whatever happens, I doubt that there will be 14 teams next year.

RayM wrote: »
    As could USF1, if rumours are to be believed (they're behind schedule and, quite ominously, Peter Windsor was back doing the post race press conference on Sunday). It's not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that Renault, Toyota and USF1 could be absent in 2010. Whatever happens, I doubt that there will be 14 teams next year.

I doubt there'll be 14 anyway, 13 is the aim and is how many I'd expect there to be.

BMW sold to a swiss investment group. Hopefully that means Sauber is involved.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Oh look, another Cosworth powered team. Few years and this could turn out like the late 80's with 7+ teams using the same engine, a ****ing farce...

Hope Sauber can haul their asses back in for next year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm just wondering how many pit lanes in next years calandar could accommadate 14 teams with 28 cars?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how many pit lanes in next years calandar could accommadate 14 teams with 28 cars?

14 with 28 cars each :eek:
    392 cars ;)

28 cars would be fine at most tracks but could be a problem for one or two of the race meetings

With an engine supplier coming in during the engine freeze, will cosworth have an advantage with a new engine design or maybe the fixed rules will leave them without the ability to develop the design fully

• Advertisement

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/177271-full-house-when-would-the-f1-grid-be-maxed-out

good article giving details of the rules/limitations regarding number of cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

kaizersoze wrote: »

Most pitlanes wouldnt be an issue-in sportscars which quite a few tracks are used for there can be over 50 cars in a race. The only track that may have an issue is the paddock in Monaco. The pitlane can house 14 teams but the paddock probably cant. If you remember the 97 race the Stewart team had to use a multistory car park for the weekend!

frostie500 wrote: »
    Most pitlanes wouldnt be an issue-in sportscars which quite a few tracks are used for there can be over 50 cars in a race. The only track that may have an issue is the paddock in Monaco. The pitlane can house 14 teams but the paddock probably cant. If you remember the 97 race the Stewart team had to use a multistory car park for the weekend!

Monaco pit lane and garages has been completely rebuilt since then I don't know how many cars it can take but it is bigger than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Monaco pit lane and garages has been completely rebuilt since then I don't know how many cars it can take but it is bigger than it was.

Yeah as I said the pitlane can now house 14 teams but the paddock possibly cant. It was just to illustrate that that was probably the only circuit that may have any issues with such a large grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

frostie500 wrote: »
    Yeah as I said the pitlane can now house 14 teams but the paddock possibly cant. It was just to illustrate that that was probably the only circuit that may have any issues with such a large grid
    And i doubt the FIA will get permission to bulldoze half of Monaco just to fit in a few more cars and people...

Advertisement