Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming and the internet

Options
  • 11-09-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

So I was looking to start writing programs for the internet. Not necessarily web apps as such, but like a program that would run on your OS but interface with the internet using APIs and the like.
    Was just wondering what would be the most suitable language for this.

E.g. A friend of mine mentioned he was trying to write a program in perl that would send a notification on twitter when a torrent was finished downloading. Not sure if he got it, but would perl be a suitable language.

I already no how to program in c and c++, can you use c/c++ to do this kind of thing across the web?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

A quick glance at the twitter page source code and you can see that the action of the "Update" button is a POST to http://twitter.com/status/update with some sort of authenticity_token to identify the user...? I'm sure with a bit of poking around you could figure out how to emulate this form and then all you'd need is a HttpConnection implementation.

I haven't made any C++ applications that interface with the web so I'm not sure how straight forward it is. I'm sure it's all low level sockets and all that jazz! :rolleyes:
    I'd use Java for it's simplicity, and you could throw a GUI on it in 5 mins too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

sudzy wrote: »
    So I was looking to start writing programs for the internet. Not necessarily web apps as such, but like a program that would run on your OS but interface with the internet using APIs and the like.
    Was just wondering what would be the most suitable language for this.

E.g. A friend of mine mentioned he was trying to write a program in perl that would send a notification on twitter when a torrent was finished downloading. Not sure if he got it, but would perl be a suitable language.

I already no how to program in c and c++, can you use c/c++ to do this kind of thing across the web?

Java or C# would be fine for this.... You could also use C++ with some libraries, but its probably not worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Using the .NET Framework and whatever language on that you prefer, you can utilise a wealth of web services to do anything.

You can create your own web services and used hosted ones etc. If you are feeling like a bit of fun stuff you can also use some of the cloud services such as Windows Azure or Amazon EC2

If you design your system correctly, you can have nice multiple shiney clients based on Java, WPF, Silverlight for example and all using the same presentation logic layer so you all your clients will bind to that layer which can be happily hosted in the cloud with all your databases etc. So the only thing running on the client is your client :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

I am playing around with C and C++ just now and found a free resource on network programming in C at this address: http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

About half way down the page you will see links to free ebooks that discuss network programming and the use of sockets & IP addresses etc.

It's written for Linux hackers but there are some notes included that will help you if you are using a Windows box.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you're interfacing with the web, you don't want to be messing around with sockets as pauldiv has suggested, you just need a HTTP client library to do all of your bidding. The Jakarta HTTPClient package is for Java, and about as fully featured as you can get. I'd be surprised if there weren't other similar projects for other languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you use C++, you could go with the QT framework. Maybe a bit of an overkill but if you want to easily apply a GUI and have cross platform networking with very useful libraries it might be worth looking into. It's a beautiful framework and well documented.

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qtnetwork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

M450 wrote: »
    A quick glance at the twitter page source code and you can see that the action of the "Update" button is a POST to http://twitter.com/status/update with some sort of authenticity_token to identify the user...? I'm sure with a bit of poking around you could figure out how to emulate this form and then all you'd need is a HttpConnection implementation.

Twitter comes with an API: http://apiwiki.twitter.com/

Advertisement