Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the highest res and framerate from a dvd in a bluray player?

• 12-09-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I have a samsung BD-P1580 bluray player connected to a samsung 6 series LE40B650 40" 100hz LCD.

I just put a standard dvd (not bluray) of jurassic park in. I have the BD Wise enabled which is supposed to pick the best quality automatically for the format in question.

The standard jurassic park dvd does not have the black bars along the top or bottom, and is only displaying at 720x576i at 50Hz.

Is this the best a standard dvd will play at when played through a bluray player on a full HT Tv connected via HDMI cable?

EDIT: tried transformers standard dvd and it also plays at 720x576i at 50hz. i thought a bluray player should upscale to 1020x768 or something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

fguihen wrote: »
    i thought a bluray player should upscale to 1020x768 or something like that.

Does the BR player have upscaling functionality?

Is it enabled?

Maybe the BRWise function is doing you a favour and not upscaling the content, because 576 lines is the most you can get out of a dvd regardless.

The one thing that I would look for in your options is to see if it will do 576p (i.e. de-interlace) which is _the_ best you can get from a DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

nereid wrote: »
    Does the BR player have upscaling functionality?

Is it enabled?

Maybe the BRWise function is doing you a favour and not upscaling the content, because 576 lines is the most you can get out of a dvd regardless.

The one thing that I would look for in your options is to see if it will do 576p (i.e. de-interlace) which is _the_ best you can get from a DVD.

The player is a samsung bluray player. it upscales by default as far as i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

it upscales by default as far as i can see.

Ok, so what exactly are you looking to see different on your TV screen? (bearing in mind that the total content available on the DVD is 576p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

The standard jurassic park dvd does not have the black bars along the top or bottom, and is only displaying at 720x576i at 50Hz.

Is this the best a standard dvd will play at when played through a bluray player on a full HT Tv connected via HDMI cable?

Jurassic Park was shot in 1.85 aspect ratio that's why it fills the screen (close to 1.78 on your TV). The BluRay player appears to be using native resolution to display the DVD, which is probably what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I have a samsung BD-P1580 bluray player connected to a samsung 6 series LE40B650 40" 100hz LCD.

I just put a standard dvd (not bluray) of jurassic park in. I have the BD Wise enabled which is supposed to pick the best quality automatically for the format in question.

EDIT: tried transformers standard dvd and it also plays at 720x576i at 50hz. i thought a bluray player should upscale to 1020x768 or something like that.
    The Samsung 1580, as far as I can tell, is extremely similar to the 1600 model, and no doubt has the same menus.

Your Blu-ray player should upscale your DVD to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) via HDMI according to page 42 of the Samsung BD-P1600 manual. In addition, page 41 shows how to change the output resolution, i.e. Setup => Display Setup => Resolution => 1080p.

• Advertisement
Advertisement