Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run-Down Places in Dublin

Options
  • 12-09-2009 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm doing a college project at the moment and I'm looking for run-down/delapedated places in Dublin maybe with abandoned buildings, graffiti, closed down warehouses.
    Thanks alot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how original

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Dublin's got a lot of poor places, and underdeveloped areas, but you're not going to find urban decay on the scale of 70s New York or Rome or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

MOds I am obviously not going to get any helpful responses here so could you please close the thread
    Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a few up and down Cork St, mainly at the junction with Ardee St, there's a buliding there. Can't think of anymore of the top of my head tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

DigiGal wrote: »
    I just want to know places in Dublin without any nasty comments or winky faces
    It just has to be of Dublin, no specific calabour, I don't know anything about urban decay in 70s New York and am not looking for that

Well try out by Bolands Mill perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

DigiGal, a good place to start would be the river east of the Sean O'Casey Bridge. On both north and south there is a good mix of original docks buildings and warehouses amongst the new, snazzy stuff.

Then cut through to Canal Street Basin for the few remaining old warehouses down by the lock gates. And as anonymous_joe says you should check out Bolands Mill over there on Ringsend Road.

And for dilapidated but protected residential, head to Henrietta Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Here are some snaps I took around Dublin showing some decay.

Henrietta Street
    113659226_87430c303f.jpg

Bow Street
    113659224_8f2866e6af.jpg

Grand Canal Dock
    2799539906_03356e6859.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mayordenis wrote: »
    Good response.

Bad response.

Your a Moderator act accordingly - stop acting the clown on my forum.

OP, I've cleaned up the thread for you.

A warning to the rest of you - I've spent fifteen minutes cleaning up this thread, another off topic or smarted arsed reply and I'll ban you for one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The majority of run down areas you'll find in Dublin are run down as developers acquire land banks. They leave them undeveloped for years as they either acquire more land and/or wait for the planning authority to either rezone their land bank or grant permission for some monstrosity.

You'll find these land banks all over the city. There are very few areas which are run down due social reasons, although some do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Capel St / Parnell St intersection beside the cinema's a good example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Theres a good few pubs etc in harolds cross closed down,

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A few up on Gardiner Street last time I was up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

On Dorset Street, the part near Parnell street theres a run down boxing club and pub. Its near the flats near the black church.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Iveagh Markets in D8.. shocking disgrace..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

St micheals Estate in Inchicore and O' Devaney Gardens off Infirmary road.

You won't get much more rundown than these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The Iveagh Markets in D8.. shocking disgrace..

Supposed to have been plans to reopen the building but i'd say thats gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

On Dorset Street, the part near Parnell street theres a run down boxing club and pub. Its near the flats near the black church.

Are you talking about the boxing club in the middle of the flats? That's St. Saviours very much still open and still being used one of the most well known Irish clubs might not look great from the outside but hardly run down and falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Your a Moderator act accordingly - stop acting the clown on my forum.

OP, I've cleaned up the thread for you.

A warning to the rest of you - I've spent fifteen minutes cleaning up this thread, another off topic or smarted arsed reply and I'll ban you for one week.

Thanks Celia Rancid Vinegar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Croke Park Villas in Ballybough.
    It's was my short-cut home from work, walked through it all hours.

The block of flats behind the first one has windows covered over, I'm not sure any are occupied. With a housing waiting list surely the flats could be refurbished and reopened? :confused:
    I don't know a whole lot about the process, just my first reaction

There is a tiny shop, with wire mesh over the windows and the door is a heavy metal security door, not a good sign!
    The houses by the shop are in a bad state, many seem unoccupied too. Don't forget the obligatory bit of wasteland filled with household rubbish.

For an area so central and less then 10 minutes walk to O'Connell St it sure is run down.

Sure stroll through it some day for some pics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mikemac wrote: »
    Croke Park Villas in Ballybough.
    It's was my short-cut home from work, walked through it all hours.

The block of flats behind the first one has windows covered over, I'm not sure any are occupied. With a housing waiting list surely the flats could be refurbished and reopened? :confused:
    I don't know a whole lot about the process, just my first reaction

There is a tiny shop, with wire mesh over the windows and the door is a heavy metal security door, not a good sign!
    The houses by the shop are in a bad state, many seem unoccupied too. Don't forget the obligatory bit of wasteland filled with household rubbish.

For an area so central and less then 10 minutes walk to O'Connell St it sure is run down.

Sure stroll through it some day for some pics.

I think this is the type of helpful post the OP is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paulzx wrote: »
    Supposed to have been plans to reopen the building but i'd say thats gone now

Was apartments plans along with some other things including a market afaik but I'd say they're out the window.

Newmarket is probably a good bet OP aswell, few run down bulidings there and along Mill St.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Was apartments plans along with some other things including a market afaik but I'd say they're out the window.

Newmarket is probably a good bet OP aswell, few run down bulidings there and along Mill St.

I think some archelogical discoveries delayed things, and part of the development included the demolishing of a row of old houses on one side, which was rejected. Plus, you have the old recession, the fact that Francis street isn't very desirable at the moment and that the hotel market is over subscribed right now means it ain't gonna happen. So the City Council should take the bull by the horns, return the building to its former glory and re-open as a market. There are countless farmers markets etc that would prosper in such a building. It's literaly yards from the main most popular tourist route (to the Guinness Storehouse, and indeed, has links to Guinness themselves) and would be a great draw if the doors swung open again.. However, as with the detruction of nearly 60% of the old city in the 60s -80's, it's now in the hands of a private developer how would probably knock it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I haven't been out that way in quite a while so I'm not sure if it's still falling apart (maybe someone could confirm?) but out by the Broombridge Station in Cabra could be a great area to wander around with your camera :)

Edit: Keep a tight grip of your camera though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the dail

***Banned for one week***

THREAD WARNING WAS POSTED HERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Check out windmill lane on the south quays for some decent graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Smithfield Square
    Stoneybatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yoyo wrote: »
    Theres a good few pubs etc in harolds cross closed down,

Nick

there are two, the lantern and man of achill. a lot of business's have left harolds cross over the last year or so though, the biggest employer in the area, harold engineering moved to rathcoole last year and suburban autos closed there a couple of weeks ago, the place is gone like a ghost town.

on topic, there is a small run down building on harcourt road that looks like it was a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dunno the names of the streets but when I got the luas awhile back, the area around St. James's Hospital is well run down. Kinda sad actually to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some buildings on Camden Street and South Richmond Street.

Advertisement