Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you understand the Lisbon Treaty?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Intro to this thread:

The official analysis of the first result showed that 22% of 'no' voters said they voted 'no' because "I do not know enough about the Treaty and would not want to vote for something I am not familiar with"

This is by far the largest recorded reason for the 'no' vote and is also seen as one of the main justifications for a rerun.

6% were concerned about neutrality.
    6% were concerned about the loss of a commissioner in every commission.
    6% were concerned about safety of our tax system.
    2% were concerned about legislation on abortion, gay marriage and euthanasia.

If you add up the other key areas (ie: those addressed by the legal guarantees), the didn't understand it factor still outweighs them.

The question is simple: Do you understand it this time round.

Lets aim for yes and no answers (and try and avoid the 'just read it' argument).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm 34 and I both can read and do read - of course I understand it. That would be a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

curious question

I recently had to do comparisons between nice and lisbon for a debate on some issues (other thread on it)

And I found it harder to follow Nice then the follow Lisbon.

Maybe its just how the consolidated versions of both treaties are presented on the europa website but lisbon is easier for reading the protocols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

yes i have read and understood it

now i hope more people do the same :)

even reading the referendum commission leaflets is better than nothing

if anything i believe its the duty of responsible citizens to educate themselves in the matters and then cast their democratic vote, the information is out there there is no excuse for claiming ignorance imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Plotician

At first glance a curious question, but it was one of the first questions asked of the electorate during the analysis of the last result.

It just seems natural to ask the question in advance this time, although for obvious reasons many will probably not want to answer.

I can be up front and say there are certain parts i don't understand, for example balancing the legal assurance regarding neutrality against the option of permanent structured cooperation. Is our own position that we will opt out of permanent structured cooperation, or are we in?

Certain aspects like this do leave me scratching my head a bit, and to be honest concerns over neutrality was my prime reason for a no vote last time. I did'nt see conscription as a threat but, for example, do see Ireland being asked to act as conflict negotiators on behalf of Europe as a risk. Reporting back to Brussels after any negotiations means we are representing the EU and not ourselves.

Anyway did'nt mean to interrupt the thread, but thought it appropriate to answer the 'curious question' comment.

Advertisement